CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slugs threw bird barrels
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Field Grade

I bought my 11-87 as a multi-purpose hunting gun. I wanted a bird gun and possibly a deer hunting gun if I decided to hunt in thick stuff. I was told by a few people I really don't have to buy a slug barrel, I can put a slug through my bird barrel, as long as it isn't a riffled slug. I was wondering if I need to get a different choke tube, since my gun only came with a modified choke. Will the slug be thrown off with the curve of the choke, or will the slug damage the choke?

Post subject: Re: Slugs threw bird barrels
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Buy several boxes of non-sabot type slugs to "sight in." See what ammunition your gun works best with.
Do not use sabot slugs, as these are best used in a rifled barrel. Your mod. choke will work fine, although IC is probably most popular for slug use.
If you want greater accuracy, buy a rifled choke tube and try several brands of slugs on paper to see which is most accurate for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Grizzlyman wrote:
If you want greater accuracy, buy a rifled choke tube and try several brands of slugs on paper to see which is most accurate for you.

If you go that route I would recomend starting with the Winchester Rackmaster which have produced sabot like performance in numerous rifled choked guns.

JC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:20 am 
Diamond Grade

Wisco_outdoors wrote:
I bought my 11-87 as a multi-purpose hunting gun. I wanted a bird gun and possibly a deer hunting gun if I decided to hunt in thick stuff. I was told by a few people I really don't have to buy a slug barrel, I can put a slug through my bird barrel, as long as it isn't a riffled slug. I was wondering if I need to get a different choke tube, since my gun only came with a modified choke. Will the slug be thrown off with the curve of the choke, or will the slug damage the choke?

Wisco_outdoors-

It sounds like there's some confusion in terminology going on. For your bird barrel, you probably do want to use a rifled slug. Such slugs have been used in smoothbore birdguns for about 70 years with no problems.

And if you should buy a rifled barrel or a rifled choke tube, you probably want to use a slug designed especially for rifled barrels. (They will shoot rifled slugs also.)

Here's a link to an informative and illustrated discussion of types of slugs, and of what happens when you shoot the different kinds of slugs from the different kinds of barrels. (Coincidentally, They used an 11-87 in their tests.)
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm

--Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

28 inch barrel will shoot slug just fine; I used on in the field for hunting on my first hunting season. Having a 28 inch barrel is very hard to handle in the brush; makes lots of noise. Also, the length of the gun makes it very hard to shoulder. That being said, it can be done but in my option you should get a barrel alot shorter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

Be very careful here.

IMO the reason you are getting the go ahead to shoot slugs in a bird barrel is people are remembering the old (prior to 1975) undersized Remington slugger slugs which had a diameter of only .690. That is no problem in a 12 ga with a standard .730 bore and even the full choke is at least .700 or more. What most do not know those slugs do not exist now as all mftrs now use full bore diameter for all of their slugs and that can damage a tighter choke and gun. So the 70 year history of shooting slugs in choked barrels is very misleading and can be dangerous now.

There are no longer any undersize factory slugs and they all are approximately .730 in diameter now. That includes all of the rifled and unrifled slugs so absolutely no difference here. Shooting slugs now in anything other than a imp cylinder at maximum, you risk damaging your gun and you will get increase pressure and recoil for sure.

If you want to shoot slugs buy a slug barrel, it will be twice as accurate and you will not regret it.

BH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:26 pm 
Field Grade

I haven't bought slugs in years, but I doubt the ammo makers would open themselves to lawsuits by selling a dangerous product. Have you bought recently made slugs, cut them open and mic'ed them. Or is this just something you heard?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got an unfired 12 gauge Remington slug that is perhaps 15-20 years old and it's about .685" which is smaller than even a full choke. My dial calipers are packed away in the garage at the moment so I can't give you an exact measurement, but I'm about 99% certain that the diameter is less than .690".

Even if the diamter were slightly larger than .690" I wouldn't worry about it because the slugs are very soft lead and will easily swage down when going through a choke.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm 
Field Grade

Fact, and not all slugs anymore are "soft lead".

That is old school just like the sub bore slugs used to be. Most are copper plated and or hardened antimony lead if lead at all, anymore.

As I said Remington was the last to switch over the the .730 slugs now. That is unless they are sabots and they will be smaller but the sabot will be approx .730 and definitely very hard.

No mftr has recommened slugs thru choked barrels for years. You will not see it on the box. You can use the imp cyl with normally is only about .010 of choke.

BH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

This group was shot with Benelli M2 Federal tru-ball slugs 60yds shooting of standard bird barrel IC choke , shooting setting down resting gun on my knees. Note ragged hole above bull. I adjusted my sight picture a little and got closer to the bull.

I would try a box of the tru-balls

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
No mftr has recommened slugs thru choked barrels for years. You will not see it on the box. You can use the imp cyl with normally is only about .010 of choke.

Bounty_Hunter-
I purchased a box of Remington Slugger 12 ga slugs a couple of days ago at Wal-Mart. Below are two scans of the box. The first shows the front and two sides of the box.

The printed note next to the trajectory diagram is hard to read. The second scan shows the note plainly, I hope.

On the box, Remington writes that the slug can be used through any choke, although improved cylinder usually produces the best results, which probably means accuracy.

--Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:46 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

The soft lead thimbles called rifled slugs can be fired through full choke barrels without harm.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RMc wrote:
The soft lead thimbles called rifled slugs can be fired through full choke barrels without harm.

That's what we've been trying to get through to people for years, but the notion still persists among the uninformed that rifled slugs will somehow damage a tightly choked barrel. Sometimes old wives tales just won't die, in spite of evidence that they are dead. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 pm 
Field Grade

I highly recommend you get yourself a slug barrel, even if its a smooth bore. I think its irresponsible to use a bird barrel with slugs for deer hunting. You're really not going to get the accuracy that it takes to properly hit a deer in the vitals.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WIshotgunHunter wrote:
I highly recommend you get yourself a slug barrel, even if its a smooth bore. I think its irresponsible to use a bird barrel with slugs for deer hunting. You're really not going to get the accuracy that it takes to properly hit a deer in the vitals.

There are millions of dead deer that would not agree with your last statement. I've personally accounted for a few of them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:16 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
WIshotgunHunter wrote:

There are millions of dead deer that would not agree with your last statement. I've personally accounted for a few of them myself.

I still don't see why someone would use a shotgun with a bird barrel to deer hunt with. Unless they didn't have the money to buy even a used smooth bore slug barrel. I just think since there are a lot better options why not use them?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WIshotgunHunter wrote:
I still don't see why someone would use a shotgun with a bird barrel to deer hunt with. Unless they didn't have the money to buy even a used smooth bore slug barrel. I just think since there are a lot better options why not use them?

Explain to me what the difference is between what you are calling a "bird barrel" and a smooth bore slug barrel. Both are shotgun barrels with smooth bores aren't they? Both have little to no choke don't they? So precisely what is the difference? I'd like to know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
...people are remembering the old (prior to 1975) undersized Remington slugger slugs which had a diameter of only .690. That is no problem in a 12 ga with a standard .730 bore and even the full choke is at least .700 or more. What most do not know those slugs do not exist now as all mftrs now use full bore diameter for all of their slugs...

There are no longer any undersize factory slugs and they all are approximately .730 in diameter now...BH

BH, That is why the old Ithaca Deerslayers were so very accurate. Ithaca make their bores smaller diameter than standard 12 ga to fit the ammo being manufactured at the time. Now that slugs are being made larger, new DS have larger diameter bores correct for today's ammo.

I can still shoot modern RS through my old DS, but the bore is badly leaded up after a few shots. Guess it's time to see Ithaca about one of their new barrels...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

There is no difference between a “bird barrel” and a “slug barrel”.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:28 am 
Field Grade

Ulysses wrote:
WIshotgunHunter wrote:

Explain to me what the difference is between what you are calling a "bird barrel" and a smooth bore slug barrel. Both are shotgun barrels with smooth bores aren't they? Both have little to no choke don't they? So precisely what is the difference? I'd like to know.

Bird barrel - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=982865 vent rib, bead sight, smooth bore, interchangeable chokes.

Smooth bore slug barrel - http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=498375 rifle sights, smooth bore, fixed choke.