CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Model 42 Question (Factory Cutts?)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:10 am 
Crown Grade

I picked up a 42 yesterday, serial # 131XXX with checkered stock and forend (not a skeet model) and a Cutts compensator. The barrel has no choke markings. Does that indicate the Cutts is factory? It's a dandy little gun, 90+% and came with a spreader and full tube.

Edit: I should clarify the (not a skeet model) remark by noting that the wood profile for the forend is wrong and the barrel is plain, no rib. I think it's an upgraded field gun.

Last edited by Tijeras_Slim on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Model 42 Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:14 am 
Diamond Grade

As per serial number, you have a 1957 model 42. It may be a deluxe model or a skeet grade, or it may be an upgraded field gun. If possible, post some pictures so the model 42 experts can give you a correct analogy of your gun. The cutts compensator could be factory installed due to the absense of a choke marking. Let's see what the experts say.

Post subject: Re: Model 42 Question (Factory Cutts?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Based on what I've found poking around the net, Winchester factory cutts on the 42 were a pretty rare bird, particularly a plain barrel model.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Awright Slim, here's what Ned Schwing says about the Cutts in "The Winchester Model 42" book. "In 1954 another innovation was offered on Winchester Skeet guns-the Cutts Compensator. Developed by the Lyman Gunsight Co. Winchester installed this new multi-choke device on its vent rib skeet guns. Winchester hoped this option would appeal to the serious skeet shooter. Sales were disappointing, making this factory installed option one of the rarest found on Model 42's. Becuase of this rarity, it is important to know that when these Cutts Compensators were installed as factory equipment, there will be no choke stamping on the barrel. Guns sent back to the factory to have this option installed will still show the choke stamping on the barrel. This option was only offered in Winchester catalogues on vent rib barrels, but there is no reason to think that this option could not be special ordered on plain or solid rib barrels as well. Another interesting note to the Cutts Compensator is that this was the only Model 42 that was always patterned at the factory before shipment. Other Model 42's were patterned on a random basis to insure proper choke constriction." I'm going to bed now. My fingers got tired typing this....Hope it clears up the mud. EG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I'm going to bed now. My fingers got tired typing this...

Thanks for the informative post. Should we ever meet, I'd be pleased to buy your fingers a cold one. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

I'm sure a few Cutts equipped plain barrels (barrels only) were sold on closeout by Simmons in the seventies. These would have been supplied by Winchester to Simmons for installation of their vent ribs. However, "no choke marking" Cutts guns are today being faked because of their rarity. Collectors are quite wary of such guns, some avoiding them entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not surprised that such things happen. This was a trade-in at a local shop of a "family gun" that one of the employees purchased. I've known this fellow for some time, so his honesty is not in question, and he's not really a "collector". Further, the price I got it for was very much in line with plain field models. As far as I can tell, the barrel is original to the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:38 pm 
Crown Grade

With the provenance to a Winchester employee, this gun would be of interest to a collector, myself included. I am missing a factory Cutts gun in my Model 42 collection. Send gun, I will send check.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

I'm not quite sure how one traces Winchesters back to the factory, my only experience is with S&W. Anyway, I want to keep this one a while.

BTW, I'm originally an Marylander, from the Eastern Shore. Miss the food but not the humidity.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

What town on the Eastern Shore was your home?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:52 am 
Crown Grade

Easton. Much of the family is still there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I get to Easton regularly, Waterfowl Festival, Vintagers, NSSA shoots at Talbot Gun Club, hunting, gun hunting, you name it. I'll look up the Slim family next time I get over there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
winchester records for the most part were lost in a factory fire in the 60's. its why so many winchester fakes exist.