CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leader 16 gauge single shot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:51 am 
Utility Grade

Last Saturday, I purchased a single shot 16 gauge at a trades day flea market. The word Leader is stamped on top of the barrel. Inside the forearm stock are the serial numbers 8842 and a few inches away 0 is stamped. The serial numbers are also stamped on the side of the gun. I Googled the word Leader and found a company called Baker gun works made a side by side model named leader in the late 1800's. I can not find anything about this 16 gauge. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Denny

Post subject: Re: Leader 16 gauge single shot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Would be happy to try to answer your question but need some more information from you.Need to know the name on the gun exactly as it is marked. I have several listings for some form of the name LEADER including THE LEADER made by Crescent Fire Arms Company, just plain LEADER made by the Shattuck Arms Company, LEADER GUN CO again made by Crescent Fire Arms and C.F. LEADER also made by Crescent. Which ever the name is the gun is what is known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Most of these guns were made between 1900 and 1940.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply Ned. So far I haven't been able to see any other name on the gun. I have cleaned it and throughly inspected it, but the word leader is all I see.
Denny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm 
Crown Grade

And you are quite welcome. I'm sorry that I had to ask you to re or double check the name. But I have found that persons not familiar with names on these old guns will some times abbreviate them or just leave portions off the name. It is quite important to give the full name just as it is marked on the gun because different makers used very simular names. According to my research and referenced guns with the name LEADER alone were made by the C. S. Shattuck Arms Company of Hatfield,MA (1878 to 1909). They made several different models of single barrel guns including a side hammer model, a ring trigger opening model, a hammerless single barrel both an old model side snap and a new model side snap as well as a weirid looking American Trigger Action single. That one appears to have two triggers but one of the triggers is the break open lever, Do you need to know anymore about your gun?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

Ned, do you think this gun would have a damascus barrel? Im going to display it on the wall in my living room and have no plans to shoot it. I wish the manufacture's name was stamped somewhere on the gun. You're information has helped me alot and I thank you for taking the time to give me what you know. It's a nice old gun and I'm happy to have found it.
Denny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

You are quite welcome. I charge $3.00 for information about old shotguns ($4.00 for correct information). Please put a $3.00 bill in the small slot on your computer and hit the send key. Don't use a $5.00 bill as my computer is not programed to make change. It is very possible that the gun might have a damascus barrel. If it does there will be a swirl pattern in the barrel like that in a toilet paper or paper towell roller. You can polish a small spot on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm where it won't show later and swab that with a mild acid. If the barrels are indeed damascus, the swirl pattern will show up. The period between 1880 and 1940 was a great one for all things having to so with shotguns, making them and shooting them. The period has been called The Golden Age of Shotguning. Every one wholesalers, retailers and Mom and Pop Country Corner Stores wanted shotguns with names of their own choosing to sell. The major makers were only too happy to supply the demand. As far as makers putting their names on the guns stop and think. Sears Roebuck sells tools under the Craftsman label and appliances under the Kenmore name. I know Sears doesn't make the stuff and I don't know who does. Go into your local grocery store and you will find products with store labels on them. The containers are identical to those of the company that produced them. You have made a wise decision about what to do with the gun. I have a large collection of such guns and wouldn't attempt to fire any of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 am 
Utility Grade

Ned I like the payment method, but I can't seem to find the slot on the computer to put the money. I also purchased, on the same day, a Long Tom 16 gauge single shot with a genuine 36" armory steel barrel. This gun is good and tight with a near excellent forearm and butt stock. I have been told that Sears and Montgomery Wards sold these guns. I love old guns and I'm always on the lookout for what I might find out there.
Denny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Long Tom had two meanings, one was used for any shotgun with a long barrel (36 inches) and the other was a "Trade Brand Name" that was stamped on the gun. Guns with the stamped name were made by either Meridian Fire Arms of Meridian, CT (1905 to 1915) or Stevens Arms & Tool Company of Chicoppe Falls.MA 1864 to—). All were made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Company of Chicago,IL so I guess Sears owned the name. Two bits of trivia. Sears owned Meridian and most of their production went to Sears. The other is Sears quit selling guns in 1982. That small slot is sometimes hard to find.