CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: buckshot loads
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:28 pm 
Field Grade

Well i have been fooling with buckshot loads for about 2 months now and i finally got it going my way. I have 8 differant recipes and after pressure testing,velocity testing and pattern testing i have ended up with 8 good loads.some shoot well in remington some shoot well in benelli and some shoot well in browning. My pressures are between 8500 and 10300, velocity is between 1096 and 1295 fps. What seems to do best in patterns,velocities and lower pressures are using a mylar wrap and not wads. The one wad that does good is a LBC wad. I am using longshot,blue dot and steel powder.I am using only federal hulls and primers and prcision buffer. some are rolled crimp and some are 6 pt fold crimp. My patterns at 40 yards are between 22" and 10" in circumferance. the slower the burn rate on powder the less define the mountain curve is on display on lap top. it goes from a mountain to a knoll.there are 3 differant size 00 buck ranging from .315 to .350 and weight from 45 to 55 grains for each pellet and all of these are listed as 00 buckshot. it all depends who you get it from. my next project is 000 buckshot.

Post subject: Re: buckshot loads
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

It sounds like you are using a stress gauge. I would like to have one but business will have to pick up first. My chronograph broke also. I have done a lot of buckshot patterning in the past, mostly for 10 ga. It was mostly heavy loads so slow burning powder was the rule. Bluedot, HS 7, Win. 571 mostly. 12, "OOO" BUCK in a BPI wad gave 1600 fps with 40 gr. of HS 6, PSB buffer, Win. 209 pri. in a Federal 3.5" hull cut to 3" with a fold crimp. Patterns were great at 40 yds. I try to taylor the loads to the range I expect to shoot at game. I had a similar load tested using a teflon shot collar that gave a lot of velocity at low pressure but can't seem to find the paperwork. I have also had great results with hand cast .35 cal. buck using wheel weight lead. I also find shot collars work better than shot cups. They leave a lot more room for stacking pellets. I can get 18, .35 cal. pellets in a 3.5" 10 ga. hull but the 16 pellet load will usually put just as many pellets on target with a little better ballistics & is easier to load.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:17 am 
Field Grade

yes i do have a strain gauge system. i calibrate it before each session with a known recipe and i hand load this duplicate load exactly.if you ever get a strain gauge system i can give to some tips what i ran into to get it up and going. I am sticking with 8 ooo buckloads and 10 - 12 oo buckloads. I kind of put a stop on loads when they start to get to the 10500 range and prefer the mid 9000 range. i shoot for the 1100-1300 fps range and tight patterns. My sequence is pressure test and velocity test at same time them i check for pattern and i will tweak it a little if it is close in pattern dept but if it shoots poorly in 3 differant guns i scrap that recipe.it takes about 5-6 times on each recipe to see what you got.i mica dust and moly coat each load.i shoot kicks and pattern master chokes in all 3 guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks for the offer but I won't be getting one anytime soon. I might take you up on it when I do. I looked back at my records & that was 12 "OO", not "OOO" in a 3" 10 ga. hull, roll crimped. The other load was 8, "OOO" IN A 3" Fed. 10 ga. hull using SR 4756 with a 6 pt. crimp. These loads had good ballistics with moderate pressure. I had some other loads tested that ran from 6,900 psi. to just under 8,000 psi. using Longshot. I am worried about ballistic stability when pressure gets that low but I have been told the old dupont powders give more consistent ballistics at low pressure. (SR 4756 & SR 7625) I agree with you, I like the pressure around 9,000 to 10,000 psi. The above loads were taylored to my L.C. Smith 10 ga. I use different loads in different situations & usually have different loads in each barrel. I like a nice tight patterning load if I expect to be shooting over a bean field but I want a more open pattern in a swamp where I can't see more than 30 yds. I also have a Beretta Silver Hawk & a Uggy SXS 10 ga. w/ 3.5" chambers. Both guns have 3.5" chambers but the Uggy is light for a 10. I like to shoot 3" loads in the 3.5" guns at times, particularly in the Uggy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:55 pm 
Field Grade

i havent fooled ith 3.5" shells yet. I have enough going on with 3" and 2 3/4". I just ordered some teflon wraps as i am using mylar wraps now and every load i have i get ! flyer so i am going to see if i can work that out. my payload (shot weight only) gets best when i keep them in and around 545 to 575 grains total . when i get them to the mid 650 range i raise the pressures quick.My turkey loads are in the 650 to 700 grain weight area but buckshot is differant and i believe it is the buffer. The original and the # 47 buffer raises pressure a lot more than the precision spherical buffer. I wish they made the LBC wad longer and if they did that is all i would use i think. This is the wad they use in 00 buckshot in hevishot. Have you used the teflon wrap on any buckshot loads. Did you have any favorite wads for buckshot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Maggie: I don't mean to offend here so please take my comments in the spirit intended. I can buy buffered 00 buckshot at my gun show for $4.00 for a five pack (if I look around a bit). Is it really worth the time and effort to roll your own? Seems as if buckshot won't be fired as much as target ammo. Or do you just enjoy the process?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

Maggie, the problem here is that I am loading for 10 ga. guns & you are loading for a 12 ga. I have loaded 12 ga. buckshot in the past but it has been a long time. I rarely load buckshot anymore as, like Shootshellz says, you can buy it pretty reasonable. It isn't the cost. Some of the factory loads are excellent & I just don't shoot a lot of it anymore. I do still load it because I can taylor loads to a particular gun & it is rather hard to find buckshot for a 2 7/8" chambered gun. I believe some of my reloads are more effective than the factory stuff. It does not take anymore time & effort to load buckshot than non toxic hunting loads. I just don't like the way the ammo. companies load the higher density non-toxics or lead either for that matter. I let the pattern board decide what wad I use but I like fiber wads over a plastic gas seal & plastic wrap. I usually use mylar as I have tons of scrap mylar drafting film laying around but the teflon wrap is excellent. I find it interresting that you are getting less pressure with PSB than the old type buffer. I havn't had a lot of testing done to compare the two but what I have had tested doesn't show a difference. I am sure you know that test results often defy logic. I am also sure you know that the different buffers have different densities & can't be compared or substituted based on weight. I prefer the PSB buffer but use whatever the data calls for. You have a big advantage with your own test equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:21 pm 
Field Grade

No, loading buckshot isnt cost effient and i dont even use it but to shoot coyotes but i have a lot of buddies that deer hunt with dogs (legal in virginia) and they catch the devil getting loads to pattern real well so since i just retired may 15th i have a lot of time on my hands so i am trying to help them out. and yes i just love it when i get a good load and they shoot it in their guns and it performs well and they put that big smile on their face (thats where i get my pay).i have made muzzleloaders,box turkey calls,bows and i have love it each and everytime as i love to creat things. when you creat a safe load,made a beautiful turkey box caller, pretty muzzleloader (from scratch not a kit) and they perform and look good and you have good luck with it it really makes me happy. just a example i have bowhunting all my life and have killed a lot of big game but now i use a longbow and i am only accurate to 25 yards but i love it and wouldnt change a thing (shoots 160 fps). I have spent around 4000 in equipment,supplies etc. but i still love it. And you know what I GIVE THE SHELLS TO THE GUYS!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi there great to hear the work you have put into you buckshot loads.I mainly shot feral pigs and have found that standard buckshot loads fail to cover my needs.I have had great succses and fairly tight patterns using Steel shot wads blue dot powder and my own hard cast buckshot pellets (18x 1 buck in a 3 inch shell)I found that pellets removed from game where deformed alot by barrel scrub and collison of the other pellets on set back.Hard cast pellets showed very little deformation.
I would like to share some of your load data and use them with the harder pellets.I have been using buffer but may stop to keep pressure down ,as the harder pellets negate the buffer?
Also the concept of the flight conrol wad is intersting as I think somtimes we miss the trouble wad seperation and interferance can have in disrupting a tight patterning load.Looking forward to you reply
Regards boca

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shootshelz:

You make a good point about being able to buy buckshot loads.

However, there is a certain ominous reality as to potential conditions when one cannot simply go to a store or gun show to buy Buckshot, or any other load.
There is a certain benefit in having the potential to load your own at will.

"Hmmm, load first ask later, kinda backards ain't it, sport? Where you been anyway?"--------Curly-Nohair

Last edited by Calisto on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 am 
Presentation Grade

Maggie, did you try a TPS wad with these buckshot loads? I'm wondering how they would perform compared to the LBC.

I'm working up some "buckshot" loads using 18g/cc shot and have to use a wad with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:45 am 
Presentation Grade

maggie wrote:
What seems to do best in patterns,velocities and lower pressures are using a mylar wrap and not wads.

What happens to the mylar wrap after it leaves the barrel? Does it just unravel and fall to the ground, or does it get shredded into small pieces?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I have been using mylar as shot protectors a long time. I have used it more by itself with lead but also inside of a shotcup for additional protection with Hevi-shot. It can get pretty beat up but I have never seen it shred. It has always stayed in one piece & doesn't get any more damaged than a shotcup. You can usually find it a few feet from the muzzle if you look for it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:27 pm 
Field Grade

i tried the tps wad,turp wad,LBC wad,cushioned LBC wad and my worse was turp wad (raises the psi to much).the lbc wad is my choice if i use a wad (same wad they use in hevishot 00 buckshot loads) and this is a good wad if you are going to stay with smaller 00 buckshot and 8 pellets.i feel if the [pellets arent inside the shot cup they are wasted.after a lot of shooting and testing the mylar wrap with #47 buffer is my go to components.when i stack pellets i like for them to lay side by side and these loads usually are the good ones and you cant get this with a shot cup unless it is the .315 buckshot.i have changed components as the shooting and testing progressed and of all the wads i have tried the LBC is my choice for .315 00 buckshot but my favorite is mylar wraps,cushioned filler,#47 buffer,roll crimp,clear osc,longshot powder,mica dust. my favorite buckshot is hornady and my least favorite is nickel plated 00 buckshot from ballistics ( .315) .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:01 pm 
Field Grade

hawglips you dont have to use a wad.i use a gas seal and my 2 choices are the tite bore seal and the 12x seaL.HARD TO BEAT THE 12 X SEAL.then i use a filler wad to get the right height then a mylar wrap,buffer and crimp shell.2 12x seals works good.on some loads i use the mylar wrap used in 10 gauge shells as it is longer but you have to trim about 1/8" off length so the wrap doesnt overlap.i personnally dont like wad (except LBC) in buckshot loads as it makes stacking and cuts payload down.my payload weight is usally between 575 and 640 grains total (depending on size and brand ) of buckshot.my tighest pattern at 40 yards (for browning gold ) 10-000 hornady buckshot and all 10 in a 7" by 9" area,9450 psi,1160 fps.i try to keep my loads at 1150 to 1225 fps. all my other loads are between 16 to 18" circle at 40 yards.each load i make goes thru at least 5 steps before i say i got a good load and i have only 7 good loads i have stuck with (in buckshot). this gets exspensive but it is my hobby and i love to do it and talk about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Maggie, what kind of barrel and choke are you using to get those patterns? That 000 patterns is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:49 pm 
Field Grade

reminton 870 with kicks full choke,benelli ultra light and super nova with a pattern master choke and browning gold with a light full kicks buckkicker choke. doesnt seem to be to picky thank god and i think 1 thing is using mylar wrap and keeping the speed under 1250.just my opinion.like i said i have 7 loads and any one is good but some are a little better but none are bad.i throw the bad one to scrap pile.if i do 10 differant loads i usually get one or maybe two good ones.not many combinations i havent tried within reason.some loads are slow (they are scrap) and some get high pressure (scrap). i look for 9500 psi or around it with 1175 give or take.ive had loads from 890 fps to 1550 fps (scrap).my lowest and highest pressures i have seen are 6500 psi to 14500 psi (scrap).the wad has a whole lot of influence on psi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm 
Field Grade

anybody that has a recipe using 2 3/4" hulls in mulit hull,or winchester hs hulls using wt12 wads or vp15 or vp20 wads and using green dot powder,4756 powder,or longshot powder and using federal 209a or winchester primer e-mail me recipe so i can check the pressure on my trace 11 system and then i can compare the psi and velocity with your load if it has been tested for psi.this is a good way to check my system with a differant load and these are the components i have for 2 3/4" shells.the load i calibrate my system with has 10,000 psi and it is a winchester hs hull,1 1/8 ounce of 8's,wt12 wad ,winchester primer and green dot powder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:19 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

hologram wrote:
Hi there great to hear the work you have put into you buckshot loads.I mainly shot feral pigs and have found that standard buckshot loads fail to cover my needs.I have had great succses and fairly tight patterns using Steel shot wads blue dot powder and my own hard cast buckshot pellets (18x 1 buck in a 3 inch shell)I found that pellets removed from game where deformed alot by barrel scrub and collison of the other pellets on set back.Hard cast pellets showed very little deformation.
I would like to share some of your load data and use them with the harder pellets.I have been using buffer but may stop to keep pressure down ,as the harder pellets negate the buffer?
Also the concept of the flight conrol wad is intersting as I think somtimes we miss the trouble wad seperation and interferance can have in disrupting a tight patterning load.Looking forward to you reply
Regards boca

Have you tried any Big Buckshot ie. Loads of three .60 caliber 325 grain hard cast pellets. Click the reloading column sponsor's logo to see what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 am 
Presentation Grade

maggie wrote:
i tried the tps wad,turp wad,LBC wad,cushioned LBC wad and my worse was turp wad (raises the psi to much).the lbc wad is my choice if i use a wad (same wad they use in hevishot 00 buckshot loads) and this is a good wad if you are going to stay with smaller 00 buckshot and 8 pellets.

The reason I had asked about the TPS wad was that I find it patterns much better with dense shot than the LBC. But I am downsizing to about 5mm pellets in the 18g/cc shot in order to get a #0 buck equivalent but with a lot more pellets. That shot behaves much differently than lead, so I was curious how the TPS wad worked for you.