CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proper Gun Fit, I need help.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:23 pm 
Field Grade

I've been shooting a Blaser F3 o/u for about 3 months now, I like the gun very much and I used to like shooting it. But latley I cant seem to get it to shoulder correctly, it doesn't feel comfortable, and the recoil is starting to become an issue. First off I dont not have an adj. comb and the gun still has the junk factory recoil pad. I plan doing a recoil system and Kickeez soon, but the comb is my biggest concern lately. I can't line the beads up for the life of me. Sliding the comb to the right would make world of difference for me, I can mash my check to the right all day and it just aint enough. The recoil issue stems from poor gun fit too I guess. I think an adj. comb is the right step then. Am I correct in that idea?

I need a proper gun fit if I plan to get any better, I know this. I've had some good luck with it straight out of the box but thats looking like all it was, Luck. I love my Blaser and I want to make it work better for me, just a little worried about cutting it all up and hoping it'll fit when it's done.

Post subject: Re: Proper Gun Fit, I need help.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's no hope. Your gun will never work for you and you must dispose of it right now. Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.:wink:

Seriously, make the gun fit you. It's the only way. Yes, an adjustable comb will make a world of difference. Is your stock cast off? Most Blasers I've seen were. Give Tron a call: http://tronspace.com/default.aspx He does great work.

Most recoil issues that cause pain, come from the gun not fitting correctly. More often than not, the dimension that needs to be changed is pitch.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rastoff has given you excellent advice. After I had an adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate put on my Beretta, I can shoot all day without so much as a red mark on my shoulder. Best money I've spent in a long time. And that from an old guy on blood thinner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am buiding a custom stock for another customer with the same gun.

Are you having trouble stacking the beads or lining them up left and right or both?

My customer was experiencing the same issue with recoil. We have effectively dealt with that.

The weighted balance system inside the stock may prevent you from adding a recoil system to the stock.

Send me an email an I can advise you better.

Thanks, Doug

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, it seems obvious that your gun does not fit you. Adding cast would probably help but I have to wonder if other stock dimensions might not be ill fitting as well as any missing cast.

I suggest you visit a good, professional, stock fitter. He would first diagnose your shooting form (gun mount, stance, body/head posture) and could then change any stock dimensions that prevent the use of a correct form.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:19 pm 
Field Grade

I've got a freind from the club who builds stocks looking at the gun with me right now, we have figured out that the comb needs to slide to the right and the pitch is way to much for a trap gun. More to come as we drive into this futher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Before you start sawing on your gun, it might be worth reading this article by Gil and Vicki Ash:

http://www.ospschool.com/osp-shooting-t ... -Gun-Fit-1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

I read your link and I agree with thier points. As of right now the comb is my hang up, I have a very full and round face(didn't want to say Fat but who am I kinding) that makes the proper mount difficult to attain. Thanks to everyone who has givin thier .02 so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe you missed Rollin's website: http://www.stockfitting.com/

You will be able to learn gun fit for yourself. Even if you move on to a pro-fitter and or custom stock, its always good to understand the language and what is being said. Also good to overview your form as it relates to stock fit.

Even the high grade Blazer is a working gun and cutting the stock will be necessary to fit your size. Spending a lot of money on a trap gun doesn't insure better scores, just offers a better platform to score with. If your careful with selecting a stock smithy, there will no chance of a hack job. Poor fit and performance will transform any gun that makes you smile into one that makes you frown. Then cutting that sombitch will be a pleasure.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Personally I will not buy a new gun unless it has a adjustable comb. Then before shooting I install a adjustable butt pad.

Have a good stockfitter install a adjustable comb and recoil pad. The comb will allow adjustment for Cast & POI while the butt pad allows the recoil to be in the sholder pocket while the comb rises to your cheek without having to dip your head. Head up and eyes level will do wonders for your scorecard. Shoot well.................

TM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

I shot my back up gun today('88 BT99), while I get a comb done on the Blaser. Boy was it different, the first two rounds I couldn't hit a hard right bird for the life of me. I fixed that and then missed a couple straights. Go figure. These two guns are night and day different and I guess I dont adapt very fast. I wanted to shoot ATA but I'd lower my average for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:20 pm 
Limited Edition

Rollin Oswald wrote:
Yes, it seems obvious that your gun does not fit you. Adding cast would probably help but I have to wonder if other stock dimensions might not be ill fitting as well as any missing cast.

I suggest you visit a good, professional, stock fitter. He would first diagnose your shooting form (gun mount, stance, body/head posture) and could then change any stock dimensions that prevent the use of a correct form.

Excellent advice and pay close attention to the words good and professional when making a selection. If you plan on attending The Grand American this year, there should be plenty to choose from. I wouldn't let just anyone cut on my stock and especially not on a high dollar gun like yours.