CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 Stand - Tips, Tricks, Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

So I shot 5 stand for the first time last night..... :mrgreen:

Let me say, I can't wait until next Tuesday when they will have another shoot.

I used to shoot a lot of trap when I was younger, but the traps were usually 'cheap' and didn't throw the clays very well; they were pretty easy targets. The 5 stand throwers are significantly faster and throw much more consistent clays. I was also standing much farther away than I'm used to. I did OK....I think I did 9/25 the first time, 7/25 the second. The guy next to me was shooting 23s and 24s....pretty humbling if you ask me

So what are your tips, tricks, or recommendations for shooting 5 stand? I was shooting a Winchester 101 that has a fixed full choke on top, modified on bottom, using Walmart Federal value packs. I know the chokes aren't preferred, but this is the only O/U shotgun I have. There's nothing I can do about fixed chokes, right? Do they make alternate barrels I can drop in?

I know it was my first time, so I can't expect to do exceptionally...but I really thought I would do better than I did. Any advice for the newbie?

Post subject: Re: 5 Stand - Tips, Tricks, Recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

Contact Mike Orlen (he's the moderator of the "Gunsmithing and restoration" forum) Ask him about installing "thin wall" chokes in your 101. He will probably need to see the barrels to make sure it can be done. If at all possible you DO need to to try. For most 5 stand set ups you will want much more open chokes....Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here you go. Just what the doctor ordered. Improve your 5-stand knowledge/skill as well as your overall shotgun shooting skills.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... _id=115625

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd recommend getting a lesson or two soon, An instructor can check your gun fit, show you how to approach certain presentations, and just might keep you from picking up a bad habit or two. Not to mention you'll undoubtedly learn faster and get better sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

1. many 101's can be retrofitted for screw in choke tubes ($600-$750)

2. for a while, you could buy some spreader loads for that F barrel.

3.the "trick" to 5 stand is knowing where (and how) to break the 1st bird so as to have the maximum time to get to and have a fair shot at the 2d bird.

Don't make it any harder than that.

keep it fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm 
Utility Grade

sera wrote:
1. many 101's can be retrofitted for screw in choke tubes ($600-$750)

$700 for chokes? I might as well buy a new OU for that....
Quote:
2. for a while, you could buy some spreader loads for that F barrel.

What do you mean 'for a while'?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joe, full and modified isn't that bad. I've shot some of my best scores with that set up. You could always just have the full opened up to imp cyl. You can shoot most anything with that combo short of competition.

5stand, fun stuff!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

700 is for the barrel work AND choke tubes - remember there is some machining work going on..spreader loads, in the meantime, will allow you to use your tighter chokes for close in targets..see my other answer on the other forum

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you stay with that gun, I'd e-mail Mike Orlen and get an accurate price quote for the barrel work and chokes, or open one barrel so you can gun IC/Mod. He's as good as barrel man as there is, nice guy, has reasonable prices and fast turn-around times.

Sera's dead-on re his No. 3 point. Were I getting more trigger time in, I'd go for some lessons. The exact thing he describes is what what was keeping my intermediate scores down around 65-70 percent. Understanding the presentations and knowing how much time you really have makes a heck of a difference.

Be careful. You end up with guys you enjoy shooting with, the game's like crack or meth -- highly addictive. I used to shoot in a Monday night league. I'd end up getting their about an hour early and help set up stations or fill machines (member owned/operated club). Game is just a hoot; I could hardly wait until the full squad arrrived, got all their gear arranged and poop together and we could finally get started.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A 101 w/ choke tubes will be infinitely more valuable than a POS O/U that could be purchased for $700.

The 101 is/was a fine gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:46 am 
Utility Grade

I think I'm going to invest in a lesson or two and just shoot the thing. It was my grandpas gun and I'm not really interested in permanently modifying it. I will also look into some other ammo to use that may be more helpful for my situation. If I continue to shoot regularly, I may invest in a new OU. But for now, I enjoy shooting it regardless of how good/bad I do. Thanks guys

Someone at the range mentioned I may be able to get an aftermarket barrel that will allow me to add chokes...thoughts? Can anyone point me in the right direction? This way I could swap barrels and keep the old one without permanently changing it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Barrels typically, will have to be fitted to the gun. What you CAN do is have a sub gauge tube set from Briley made in 29 gauge and then you'll have that option.

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Google "101 barrels"

You'll get plenty of options.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 am 
Crown Grade

its mainly a memory game, having a good focus for that setup, can mean an extra few saeconds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:22 pm 
Crown Grade

For 700 bucks you could buy a decent auto loader that work just fine.

1. One thing that really helps me is to watch the targets...learn where they come from and where they land....if you don't know this, then it real hard to figure out which shot first and where to break it. If you are not shooting, you should stick your finger up in the air and point at the other shooters birds. I find it really helps my brain to "see" the targets over the "barrel"....helps me figure out where I really first see the bird good and so where do I need to hold the gun...making the plan.

2. Study the targets, if there is a bird that you KNOW can't hit, don't shoot at it....save that shot and use both (if needed) for second bird.... Lost/dead 50% better than Lost Pair!

3. If you miss on the first shot, most of the time, you'll be better off shooting at that first target again with your second shot....stay with the bird you are already focused on. Unless, that first bird is real tough and the second bird is a real gimme....in which case, you did not remember the #2 advice!

4. Don't forget about your feet! Make them part of the plan....a lot of the time you will have to compromise foot position for the 1st shot and the 2nd shot. If you set your feet for the first shot only, you can sometimes really put yourself in a bind on that second bird. I'm an old skeet shooter and tend to plant my feet and not move them....but sometimes in sporting and 5 stand it really helps to be a good dancer!

Some lessons would be a great help. You gotta see it, think about it, make a plan, and execute. Shooting 5 stand and sporting will make you a better shotgunner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 am 
Utility Grade

Mismost wrote:
For 700 bucks you could buy a decent auto loader that work just fine.

1. One thing that really helps me is to watch the targets...learn where they come from and where they land....if you don't know this, then it real hard to figure out which shot first and where to break it. If you are not shooting, you should stick your finger up in the air and point at the other shooters birds. I find it really helps my brain to "see" the targets over the "barrel"....helps me figure out where I really first see the bird good and so where do I need to hold the gun...making the plan.

2. Study the targets, if there is a bird that you KNOW can't hit, don't shoot at it....save that shot and use both (if needed) for second bird.... Lost/dead 50% better than Lost Pair!

3. If you miss on the first shot, most of the time, you'll be better off shooting at that first target again with your second shot....stay with the bird you are already focused on. Unless, that first bird is real tough and the second bird is a real gimme....in which case, you did not remember the #2 advice!

4. Don't forget about your feet! Make them part of the plan....a lot of the time you will have to compromise foot position for the 1st shot and the 2nd shot. If you set your feet for the first shot only, you can sometimes really put yourself in a bind on that second bird. I'm an old skeet shooter and tend to plant my feet and not move them....but sometimes in sporting and 5 stand it really helps to be a good dancer!

Some lessons would be a great help. You gotta see it, think about it, make a plan, and execute. Shooting 5 stand and sporting will make you a better shotgunner.

Thanks a lot for your input...I will keep these things in mind next Tuesday when I go back

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

JoeMal,

I agree with mismost's comments. As far as the gun is concerned, I use a semi-auto for 5-Stand without any problem. I find most O/U too heavy for me to handle. You had a very respectable score for a first time. I won't share my 1st score, let's just say you did better than I did. :)

I use a Benelli Super Black Eagle II Left Handed. I use a Benelli Skeet 1 extended choke and a Benelli IM Extended choke depending on the field set. I usually shoot Winchester AA Super Sport 1 1/8 oz. 7 or 8 shot. I haven't found much difference between 7 and 8 shot at our club's fun shoots. We shoot once a month and the setup is different every time. It depends on how challenging my husband (the setter) decided to make it.

One of the big differences I learned right away when comparing gun needs from trap to 5-Stand/Sporting Clays is the high comb of a trap gun is a detriment to your 5-Stand/Sporting Clays game. Remember 5-Stand/Sporting Clays was originally designed to emulate hunting so shotgunners could practice in the off season.

I have seen shooters using field grade to sporting clays specific guns. It all depends of fit and feel of the gun and what works for you.

I understand your hesitation to mess with your grandpa's gun. I have a Pigeon grade 1974 Remington 1100 LH 30" Trap that several people suggested I have worked on to be able to have changable chokes for 5-Stand. I couldn't bring myself to do it since the gun is basically irreplaceable and besides the comb was too high for good scores at 5-Stand. Oh that may be why my score was so low the first time....yeah that's the reason....well that and I was a very new shotgunner at the time. Seriously though I would encourage you to look into a different gun specifically for Sporting Clays shooting. If you are a hunter it will serve that purpose as well.

Have fun and keep practicing, those scores get better as you go!
Claudia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 am 
Utility Grade

Great post You have given very useful tips and I appreciate them. As you say, shorter and crispier contents catch the eyes of readers.But at times one needs to be elaborate while sharing their own experiences which may be of great use to those who read them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:27 am 
Utility Grade

Yes, I would like to thank everyone again for their thoughts and suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Personally I think people worry way too much about chokes, I shoot chokes tighter than most because I never have to worry about having enough. Focus on your shooting not chokes. Shoot your 101 and enjoy it.