CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Butt pad for shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:00 am 
Utility Grade

Gentlemen,
I am located in India, where the proper range guns are being sold at astronomical prices. A Beretta trap gun would cost something like US$ 14000/- for a used one!
I have recently started trap shooting, on invitation, on a brand new private range built on ISSF rules. I am using my old hunting 1925 built Joseph Manton shotgun SxS / centenary model SLE / 30" half-choke left barrel (0.713) / RC 4 Champion 7.5 cartridges. I am using a foam padding to raise the comb height by 5mm (3/8th of an inch), awaiting arrival of the Meadow Industries leather cheek pad. I am now looking for a soft butt pad to mitigate the pain, felt after a couple of rounds (it is summer time & shooting vest is impossible). Could you, very kindly, suggest a particular brand of soft rubber butt pad for replacement. Any other suggestion shall be appreciated.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Butt pad for shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 am 
Limited Edition

Hi

These are the two I prefer:

http://www.trapdude.com/

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/

Regards

W&W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 am 
Crown Grade

Two that are readily available and that work far better than most pads for absorbing recoil (although they will wear out more quickly) are the LimbSaver and the X-Coil. Both use modern technology and you'll not find another pad that absorbs recoil better.
I've had a lot of different pads on my guns over the years, including three Kick-Eez pads back in the day, and all of my shotguns now wear either the LS or the XC.

(PS If you want some slightly-used Kick-Eez pads, I'll send them to you for free)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like the trapdude gooey pads, but would recommend a stock smithy install it. Expect to replace the soft gooey pads more often.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Plus 1 TrapeDude...................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kick-Eez "Modified Trap" pad w/ Jones "Through the Pad" butt adjuster (two hole). Total package cost about $125 US

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:04 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your very helpful suggestions. I will look at all the options and decide on it. Another question that is bothring my mind is the weight of the butt pad. At this moment I have a buffalo horn, in place. The gun has an excellent balance. Would'nt a heavy butt pad, alter the balance, assuming these suggested pads will have some weight? Also, what about the pitch? Is there any specific rule for installing one?
The LOP from the hind trigger is 13 1/2''. Will it need to be altered since I am only using the left barrel?
We do not have very good gunsmiths in India, who are trap shooters & would know the finer points of installation. I will need to tell him what is required of him.
Rgds.
Thanks mudpack...I appreciate your delicate humour!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What are your height and weight (in pounds, if possible)?

Where on your shoulder do you mount your gun and where on your shoulder is the pain? What part of the butt (top/bottom/whole thing) seems to be causing it?

The pitch on your stock is correct (for you) when the whole butt makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as the gun is being mounted.

You may notice a change in the gun's balance with a recoil pad in place. Realistically though, there isn't much you can do to make the gun balance like is does now. Adding weight to the barrels could be done but it may not be worth the trouble.

Also, don't overlook that replacing the butt plate with a recoil pad will probably require shortening the stock (although 13.5" seems a little short if your height is greater than about 5' 7").

Does your trigger-arm seem a little cramped with the gun mounted? Do you have to pull your head back on the stock to avoid your trigger-hand thumb bashing your nose during recoil? If either is the case, your stock is probably too short.

If you mount the gun with the top of the butt on your collarbone and with your head and neck close to erect/upright, there should be about a 1.5 inch separation between your nose and the second joint on your trigger-hand thumb.

If there is an error in the LOP on the stock of a gun that is pre-mounted before firing, a little too long offers less felt recoil than one that is too short.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, Rollin Oswald!
I shall be back with you, after I have dealt with some more pressing issues, with required info.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:13 am 
Utility Grade

a. I am 5'-7.5" without shoes / 65kg (143 lbs).
b. I shoulder the gun in the pocket formed, as the right elbow is raised to be just about 90 degrees. I think the discomfort is right at the centre of the butt plate. Am I raising the elbow a bit high?
c. When the gun is mounted, the trigger-arm is not cramped. However, since I am using only the left barrel & rear trigger, I need to move my hand a bit closer to the face. Even so the trigger-hand thumb is at a fair distance from the nose.
d. The LOP is 14.5 from the front trigger & 13.5 from the rear.
e. The gun fits me, as I do not need to jostle my head while pointing. Also, the head & neck is just about straight with only a very minor tilt, at stance.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 am 
Utility Grade

[quote="VP Singh"]...
d. The LOP is 14.5 from the front trigger & 13.5 from the rear.
...quote]
You are measuring from the trigger guard, not the trigger itself from the sound of your comment.

I had always assumed that LOP was from the trigger to the rear of the recoil pad (tape hooked on the trigger itself).

What is the proper measurement?

Cheers,

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VP,

With the objectionable recoil felt in the center of the butt, might you shoot with a loose gun mount? Might the gun have a chance to accelerate before it makes solid contact with your shoulder?

Does the top of the butt extend above your collarbone? That aspect of the mount promotes an erect head and neck posture and reduces barrel rise during recoil.

A gun's LOP is correct when the shooter is able to shoot with the head and neck erect and there is about 1.5" between the nose and trigger-hand thumb. That is about right to avoid the thumb bashing the nose during recoil without making the gun awkward to swing.

With an ideal gun mount and shooting posture, a reduced LOP is very possible.

Bob,

You are measuring LOP correctly. LOP is measured from the center of the trigger curvature to the vertical center of the butt or recoil pad.

I am not sure how the LOP of double-trigger guns is measured. My guess would be from the front trigger since it is used more often than the back trigger.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:19 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks gentlemen, for your help. I am off to the range later today with my young son & daughter for a couple of rounds of trap. I will get back if there is anything I need your expert advice on. Trap is so different from hunting!
It is a beautiful new range & the owners, HH Patiala, is trying to promote the sport. He is planning to host the international championships here, in the next couple of years time. Since it is a new venture, it will take some more time before we, hopefully, start getting the cartridges at the subsidised rates. For the time being we have to fend for ourselves. Neither guns nor cartridges are easily available.
Rgds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
VP,
I am not sure how the LOP of double-trigger guns is measured. My guess would be from the front trigger since it is used more often than the back trigger.

I use the rear trigger FAR more than the front trigger because it hurts when the rear of the trigger guard hits my middle finger when I reach forward for the front trigger.
Most old folks measure BOTH! Nice way to eliminate confusion. Come on Rollin!!!!! after all ,........You wrote the BOOK! :roll: