It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: grizzly vs slug or grizzly vs bullet
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, a bear expert I ain't. All I know is what I read. I have been in bear territory, however. What I understand from what bear experts write is most bear (grizzly/ brown bear) attacks occur when a hunter returns to a kill to pack out the meat. The bear finds the kill & then, as far as the bear is concerned, it is his. He attacks to defend his meat. I don't know the statistics, but bears attack. Another scenario is when a female with cubs is surprised by a hiker. Black bears, I understand are more likely to kill than the larger brown bears. It is said that a brown may leave you alone if you play dead & stop fighting. Not something I want to prove. A black bear will reportedly make sure you are dead. I read an article in the "American Rifleman" years ago written by a Canadian bear guide. He used some monstrous cannon that must have been designed for Godzilla or Tyrannosaurus Rex. He was talking about really big brown bears that weigh 1,600 pounds or more. He was asked about certain outdoor writers recommendations for a bear rifle. His comment was, how would they know? He said " I seriously doubt that any of them ever even saw a 1,600 lb. bear, let alone shot one". Personally, unless attacked or if I were to hunt them, I would leave Mr. Bear alone. If I anticipated shooting one, I would carry the biggest cannon I could shoot. 1,600 lbs. is as much as a big Cape Buffalo weighs & .458 Winchesters & larger rifles are pretty standard for them beasts.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Nice video. I saw he killed it with a 300 grain bullet in something but it went by so fast I couldn't read what kind of rifle it was. How much did it weigh? I hope they had a track vehicle & front end loader to get it to the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Rifle