CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: browning A500R
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:44 pm 
Field Grade

what are the opinions on the browning A500R? what range of loads was it designed to shoot? I have found one for sale which is in excellent shape for $400 and I am thinking of buying it

Post subject: Re: browning A500R
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The first of them, the A500 (same as the A500R) were all recalled. Later, the A500 was renamed the A500R for recoil and the A500G appearing later, lasting only two years the catalog. The A500R quickly gained a bad reputation from the initial recall, and various QC and machining problems gave it a very bad name in short order. It was and is the worst Browning branded autoloader ever made-------- nothing else before or since is even close.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:11 pm 
Crown Grade

winny1300 wrote:
I am thinking of buying it

You should get a buddy to slap that thought out of your head. Give him $100.00 for the favor and you will be $300.00 to the good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:19 pm 
Crown Grade

The gun was not a good design and the stock was even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I have one, it is unfired, 26 inch invector, nice wood in perfect condition, I picked it up for around $350 at a gun show. It has Red filled engraving, kind of contemporary looking. I completed my collection of the Browning auto loader rejects, A-500R, B-2000, B-80, I have them all. I have no desire to ever shoot the gun, however the browning rejects are an interesting sight in my gun cabinet, next to the a-5s and double autos....is this sick or what?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:37 pm 
Crown Grade

amg wrote:
...is this sick or what?

I bought one when they first came out. The first one broke on the second shot. It's replacement lasted almost 3 seasons then sat for over 10 years while I tracked down the parts to fix it. I fixed it, spit shinned it and put it all the way in the back of the vault. The one good thing about the A-500 was that it made me get over the A-5 going to Japan. Now I loves me some Japan A-5's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:37 am 
Presentation Grade

I own one,I may have got one of the better of all the bad ones that were made. Yes they were recalled & the letter (R) is stamped on the bottom of the trigger housing. I have read not to shoot 3" shells or the gun will destroy itself,mine has not. It has never given me any problems with 2 3/4 light loads or 3" Hevi-Shot mag loads. It operates on the short recoil principle,some say the recoil is excessive I dont find that to be true. I have used it for 6 seasons in Pa. in some -10F weather & it has never failed to feed,fire or eject.

A500R

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

But it is still ugly! :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm 
Field Grade

how much does one of these weigh?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

A friend of mine bought an A500R when they first came out. ...bought it new for $525. It was a very nice single shot shotgun. Putting additional shells in the magazine was pretty much a wase of time, as they hardly ever would feed cleanly into the chamber after firing the first shot. After fighting with the gun for several months, he attempted to trade the gun in at the same store he purchased the gun new....they offered him $175 for the gun, despite the fact that the gun was in near mint condition... and they really didn't even want it. The news was out...lots of jams. One of Brownings biggest flops.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

what where they recalled for I have one and it works great cycles everything I give it right down to 7/8 skeet loads only problem I have had is the rib has seperated from the barrel and having a hard time finding some one to fix it or finding a replacement barrel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I purchased an early A500 (Recoil) in december of last year. NIB.
I got a deal, and bought it for a field gun, mainly as I love Brownings and this shotgun has beautiful wood, blue and light scroll pattern...
I'm now 1,000 shells into this gun, and I can honestly say that it has very much impressed me-considering the neg. reviews I find online.
I haven't experienced one misfire or slamfire as yet. And have run everthing from 3" Mags to deer slugs and light trap loads.
The fit is probably the best I've ever encountered on an auto.
Fits, balances, points exceptionally well. (Fit always depends on the build/body of the man).
Also, to mention something worthwhile-I have not cleaned it internally since I have purchased it, only wiping the blue and wood on the outside....(I'm a bit lazy).
there are one or 2 downsides though, it seems to "recoil" harder than most and has some of the Benelli "doube-shuffle" in it's game. Safety is also a bit stiff to actuate.
A point that needs mentioning-TIGHTEN THE BUTTSTOCK BOLT WHEN YOU GET YOURS!! every a500 i've seen has had a loose bolt, and i've seen some online with cracked butstocks...I thinks it's why. (Mine felt like they forgot to tighten it at the factory).
Maybe I was lucky???? Anyway, love mine, but....If i had it to do again, I may have bought a Browning Gold.......
-CS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:08 am 
Utility Grade

I have owned an A500R for about 20 years. I used it for about 10. I hardly ever use it now but occasionally pull it out for dog training use when I dont want to shoot one of my other clean shotguns. But I really never had any trouble with it. Key was keeping it clean. Always has cycled fine. I think it is heavy and dont care for the balancing on it but thats true for alot of older shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had an A500R, later production, and it always worked great for me. I sold it, but not because it did not work.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:20 am 
Field Grade

A500R wrote:
Yes they were recalled & the letter (R) is stamped on the bottom of the trigger housing.

Letter (H) you mean

Ole Cowboy wrote:
But it is still ugly! :P

Ill disagree with you on that one

skidd041 wrote:
what where they recalled for

It was a trigger issue, not sure exactly what but it had nothing to do with feeding issues.

I have a 500-R and I love it, have never had an issue with the gun, fires fine, cycles fine, feels good in my hands, guess im a lucky one.