CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAA 12SL & WAA 12L & WAA12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 am 
Field Grade

I know you should not substitute components...but I would like to hear some opinions on The WAA 12 and their clones. If you have a recipe that calls for the longer shot cup and shorter cushion SL would substituting the L with its shorter shot cup and longer cushion have any significant pressure change say 500 lbs or so.I ask this because I seem to get a better crimp with the L wad even though the recipe calls for a SL

Also I don't have any WAA12 to compare to the SL and L so which one is that or is a old model that either the SL or L replaced ?

Post subject: Re: WAA 12SL & WAA 12L & WAA12
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:05 am 
Field Grade

Im New to reloading my self But from what i have come to gather so far is that the waa12 is for 1 1/8oz loads the waa12sl is for 1oz loads an the waa12l is for 7/8oz an 3/4oz loads. I could be wrong about this but some of the more experieced folks will be by shortly to help u out.

Cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

So long as the stack-up is correct, and everything fits reasonably well, there's nothing wrong with subbing these wads with one another. Many find that the stack-up is too tall when using the WAA12L wad in 7/8 oz. loads in AA HS cases, and so use the WAA12SL wad instead. Likewise have the same problem with the WAA12SL wad with 1 oz. loads in the HS cases, and so use the WAA12 wad.

You will find these wads listed for this use in many data books, so I wouldn't hesitate to sub them. Actually, when having problems with Too Full cases when using AA HS cases, use of the DRA series Down Range wads, (Clones of the Win. wads except just a tad shorter), will fix the problem nicely. They are made in 1 oz., 1-1/8 oz., and 1-1/4 oz. sizes, and work better than the Win. wads do in AA HS cases.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 pm 
Limited Edition

The shot cup on the 12SL and 12L are actually the same size, the only difference is in the height of their legs. Both will work for 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads, however the 12L (or substitute) allows less powder usage in a 7/8 oz or 3/4 oz load without any filler. For an example, I use the Claybuster equivalents to save cash, and started using the 1 oz wad for both my 1 oz and then 7/8 oz loads. However when I wanted to drop less powder to reduce recoil further in the lightest of loads, the crimps were dishing terribly. I found that using the Claybuster 0178-12 (WAA12L sub.) I could use 16.5 - 17.0 grains of PROMO with a 7/8 load of #8 and the crimps were fantastic. No adjusting, can go straight from 1 oz, to 1-1/8 oz to 7/8, just changing wads, not adjusting the cam or crimping. It's still allowing the same buffering down the barrel, as shot cups are of equal heights. Wow, that was really rambling on. Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

TXBRILL:
Take a look at Alliants loading manual or online data. They list a number of one ounce loads with WAAL wads. Study the data carefully. There is a pattern. The places where they list the longer (so called 7/8 ounce wad) are loads that have relatively small volumes of powder, either small weights of powder or relatively dense powder that takes up little space. Small volume of powder + longer wad = nice tight not dished in crimp. I'll leave it to the old timers here to discuss the Cheerio trick.

The inverse of this is exactly as DL Marcum indicates. Large volumes of powder + slightly shorter wad = nice tight not bulged out crimp. I've run into a number of published loads that just did not quite fit (or took way too much wad pressure) into a modern AAHS. They worked just fine when I went to a Down Range wad. The Down Range "clones" of an AASL or of an AA 1 1/8 may be clones with regards to ballistics but they are a tad shorter. At times this is very handy.

FYI: WAA12, WAA12SL, and WAA12S are all still made. None of them are discontinued and none replace any of the others. Clay Buster and Down Range both make "clones" of all three. Dimensionally the Clay Busters appear to be about the same as the WWAA's. The Down Ranges tend to be a tad shorter. I don't mean to imply this is good or bad, but is is something to keep in mind. Winchester has come out with a "cheapo" (more cost competitive) version of the WAA12. It is called the WT12 and is a light orange color. Claybuster makes a clone of this also.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to all for the answers