CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning BSS
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Is it just me, or is there a glut of Browning BSS shotguns for sale on the internet sites like GunBroker.com, GunsAmerican and AuctionArms? Seems there are a lot out there but not many moving. Especially 20 gauges. I've been kind of looking for a 20 ga. BSS so that's why noticed. Anyone else have a take on this?

Post subject: Re: Browning BSS
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:12 am 
Field Grade

My shot is everybody flipped them when the market was up and now a lot of outfits like Cabelas are stuck with them because the buying market isn't supporting it at the inflated prices. I've also noticed that the Belgian Browning market has really tanked too. Wonderful guns but the market may not be there for them. My personal opinion is there needs to be an adjustment gun prices are over inflated especially in double guns for what you get for the money. When I see these ugly, heavy, "meat" guns going for $1000 bucks something is wrong. Reminds me of the Fla real estate market over the last couple of years...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Well,being a sxs lover/owner for over 45yrs...I do watch the market with intrest usually drooling :roll: ....While Browning makes some fine shotguns,I don't think their BSS is in the same class as their o/u guns....especially for the price they ask..they are overated in my opinon....there are other sxs guns on the market that are higher quality for less money,such as the Ithaca/SKB..they are both japanese made guns..but I think the Ithaca is a better made gun..it is virtually a TANK when it comes to durability and just as attractive cosmetically...I have friends that own Ithaca/SKB sxs's...I personally own a Ithaca/SKB 500 o/u ,that i have shot for over 35yrs....the ONLY reason I don't own the sxs is because I a bought a Fox Sterlingworth 16ga(Philly),built on a 20ga frame which I have always wanted for upland...BUT...my next gun will be a sxs 20ga :mrgreen: ...I am torn between the Ithaca/SKB ,Fox Sterlingworth(Philly) and some Spanish guns....I lean toward the Sterlingworth..only because their MADE IN USA/Americana classic's :wink: All three of these guns are built for a lifetime of feild use...Alot of the Spanish guns are a little fancy for me and very pricey,but still intrigue me.English guns are high quality,but also pricey,for me. So that leaves me with Ithaca/SKB...Sterlingworth...decisions/decisions..ain't it fun :lol: :lol:
That's my take on it any way...Hope this helps in some way

Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
English guns are high quality,but also pricey,for me

If you go look on GunsInternational.com at the section for Shotgun:English, you'll find a GLUT of guns recently sent here, not all of which are high-priced Purdey's or BOSS. Many are from older companies, smaller ones, many date to the 20's and 30's (and might have 2-1/2" chambers). That ammo is available from several internet sources in a variety of types.

Just an idea.............. :mrgreen:

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have two 20 Ga. and one 12 Ga. BSS Sporters with upgraded wood and I just checked Cabela's Gun Library and the prices seemed to have jumped up dramatically.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
If you go look on GunsInternational.com at the section for Shotgun:English, you'll find a GLUT of guns recently sent here,

Interesting. I've never been to that site before. I wonder how many of those guns were sent here because they failed proof???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

drsfmd,
I went thru that list of English guns on Sun. Many of them are nitro proofed from 850-1200 bar. Just sayin.