CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Standardization of choke markings ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not expecting a standardization of actual chokes on shotguns...

But is there a standardization of choke markings ?

Have several brands of shotguns -- both old and new, American and European, and with fixed-chokes and screw-in chokes.

When glancing at the choke markings, can't remember whether more *asterisks means tighter or more open chokes.

Is the marking pattern consistent for all shotguns -- American and European ?

Does **** mean improved-cylinder on all guns or does it mean full choke ? Or neither ?

This only seems to be problem when I am looking to buy another one or am ready to shoot an existing one.

Post subject: Re: Standardization of choke markings ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's a chart than can help:

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the chart.

Great information.

Yesterday at an authorized dealer for an Italian brand shotgun got some very wrong information from their gun department manager. His interpretation was cylinder and improved-cylinder whereas your table gives it as improved-cylinder and modified. This would make a difference to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad I could help - I have found this chart to be VERY accurate as to their dimensions in the sub gauges

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That is a fantastic choke chart. Thanks for that link.

The one thing that I'd like to add is that the Perazzi codes are not really codes, they are actual measurements. Perazzi constrictions come in tenths of millimeters. So, a #4 Perazzi choke has a constriction of .4mm which roughly translates to .016" or Light Modified.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

I think the easiest thing would be to standardize constriction. I mean when Beretta has a full choke with .31 constriction and Ruger's full choke is .22... something's wrong. Standardize constriction then just mark that on the barrels. Forget all the fancy names.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

phideaux_2003 wrote:
I think the easiest thing would be to standardize constriction. I mean when Beretta has a full choke with .31 constriction and Ruger's full choke is .22... something's wrong. Standardize constriction then just mark that on the barrels. Forget all the fancy names.

Phideaux - that's a very "Blanket" statement. What "gauge" are you talking about, and which of the manufacturer's models? For what shot - steel or lead? And "STANDARDIZATION"? It may be easy in your mind, but NOT when you go international.

You will have a great deal of difficulty getting all manufacturers and all countries to agree on ANY measurements for "standardization"! The difficulty is the "not invented here" attitude that exists, and that attitude exists in ALL countries and companies. And then there is "national pride", "WE know better, (ad nauseum).

Trust me - I have a LOT of experience in "standardization" around the world. Getting 2 people to agree on ANY one thing is near impossible.

BobK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:

Getting 2 people to agree on ANY one thing is near impossible.

Happens all the time.

My neighbor and his wife agreed that the other one was a rotten person and divorced each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

**** = IC

*** = Mod

** = IM and

* = Full.......or .010, .020, .030 and .040.

Now , today , there's a lot of debate in what makes a Lt Mod v. a Mod or a Lt Full v. a Full. Of course, the type , speed ,hardness of shot, of the shell has a huge effect on the actual patterns.

I find that chokes between .015 and .025 are the best for sporting clays.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

BobK wrote:
phideaux_2003 wrote:

Phideaux - that's a very "Blanket" statement. What "gauge" are you talking about, and which of the manufacturer's models? For what shot - steel or lead? And "STANDARDIZATION"? It may be easy in your mind, but NOT when you go international.

You will have a great deal of difficulty getting all manufacturers and all countries to agree on ANY measurements for "standardization"! The difficulty is the "not invented here" attitude that exists, and that attitude exists in ALL countries and companies. And then there is "national pride", "WE know better, (ad nauseum).

Trust me - I have a LOT of experience in "standardization" around the world. Getting 2 people to agree on ANY one thing is near impossible.

BobK

Point taken Bob. But obviously there is a certain amount of constriction that needs to happen to, let's say a 12 gauge with a bore diameter of .729, to attain what is commonly accepted as a full choke pattern at 40 yards with standard velocity shells with standard for bore and shell length payloads.

You ask "What "gauge" are you talking about, and which of the manufacturer's models? For what shot - steel or lead?"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why should we have to answer those questions? A full choke is a full choke is it not? It should be the load we alter to get the pattern with steel or lead that we want or it should be the load that fires best from our bore that we should look for. When we standardize one element in a 10 element equasion, we make our problem simpler. I mean we could standardize chokes even more if we wanted too in regards to the actual geometry of the choke, how long it is and how quickly it constricts. What I'm getting at is if chokes were a constant, the problem of figuring out which load fired best from which gun would be INFINATELY easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would be happy if they simply marked the constriction on there. That way you would have no confusion. It wouldn't matter what gauge the gun is or what you want to call the choke. This is what I like about the Perazzi system. They simply mark the constriction on there and it leaves out the guess work.

If you throw in names like Singles, Mid Cap and Long Cap, how are we supposed to know what they are? If you just put the constriction on there, no confusion.

It's just like the Dram EQ on shot shell boxes. Who cares how much black powder it would take to make the same charge? Just put the speed on there and eliminate the confusion.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Rastoff - I had a shooting friend who had chokes just like that - I never did get the name of those chokes, but all were marked in .005 increments. As you mention, a quick look and you know what you have

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But how man "*"s for a U2 since they hit like a M but open up like a IC but are lighter than an SK? :lol:

Actually, I think Jim is on to something here. A "Close" (U1), "Medium" (U2), and "Far" (U3) is really all you need.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

Have they(the manufacturers)ever standardized bore diameters yet? I'm under the impression that they've not, but could be wrong.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

True 12g is .729.....but 12g guns come w/ .722 to .750 from various gun mfgr's.

So--no standardization.....and don't look for it as every company has it's own theory about what's best.

Perazzi insisted for years that .724 was std and .729 was the only other available bore....today they make a .736 and a .740.

Kolar started w/ a .740 and now makes a .750.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At what point does the 12 gauge become a 10?

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8