CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing a butt plate spacer?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I want to install a flat 1/4" spacer on my 1187. From what I'm seeing spacers seem pretty generic and after they're measured or outlined will need to be sanded or ground to fit and the edges polished.

What's the degree of difficulty? Can a decent job be done by an amateur or does it have to be taken to a gunsmith or stock expert? I've got a fair home workshop and access to a better one.

If someone's got the time to explain how to do this right and recommend the best spacer for the job I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Installing a butt plate spacer?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:32 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Email your address to my website and I will send you a 1/4" piece of spacer material FOC. You can then call me and I will walk you through it. It's actually very easy and just about anyone with some simple tools/equipment could do this.

http://tronspace.com/default.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for your very generous offer. PM sent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

Dove Hunter wrote
Quote:
I want to install a flat 1/4" spacer on my 1187. From what I'm seeing spacers seem pretty generic and after they're measured or outlined will need to be sanded or ground to fit and the edges polished.

What's the degree of difficulty? Can a decent job be done by an amateur or does it have to be taken to a gunsmith or stock expert? I've got a fair home workshop and access to a better one.

If someone's got the time to explain how to do this right and recommend the best spacer for the job I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I have added spacers to my personnal firearms WITH OUT CHANGING THE PAD, this ends up mostly at the toe leaving a step, where the pad was fit to the wood, the spacer has to be cut in a straight profile to match the pad with out having gaps or odd angles or points.

So to me install a new pad with the spacer, it will look better in the long run.

If you are working only the spacer, put the spacer between the stock and pad tighten everything up tight and trace/scribe the outline of the stock onto the spacer.

Then using belt sander with a table carefully cut the spacer to fit. ONCE CLOSE, Frequent checking of the spacer to the stock will help with the final fit.

My dad started teaching me how to work on guns at an early age, so I now have more then 4 decades. rebluing is my base skill, repair is my joy.

I thank the Good Lord for My Abilities and my dad for the opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks Joseph/Tron Gunworks for the info and the spacer material. It worked out like you said.

Thanks Al.

Both of you said it would look better/cleaner doing a new recoil pad with the spacer. You're right but this'll do for now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Very nice offer!

"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 pm 
Field Grade

All of the above and a little Armorall or eq just to make the black a little blacker