CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli VS Franchi
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I had posted this in the Franchi Forum but it has relevance here too since it describes the benelli in some detail and Benelli owns Franchi. Hope this helps anyone looking at buying a Benelli or Franchi:

I bought a Suport Sport a little while ago and just recently added a Franchi I-12. I have mostly owned O/U's but recently have been getting into the Semi's and I am finding that a lighter and longer semi real handles quite beautifully in comparison to the O/U's.

So, here are my observations between the Farnchi and the Benelli.

The Benelli appears to be a little better over all quality as you would expect since it costs twice as much. The Franchi fit, finish and overall quality seems real good though and I am pleased with this. The Benelli crio treated barrel and chokes do seem to stay cleaner than any other gun I have owned.

There are numerous discussions on the forum about the I-12 action and its similarity to the Benelli. This should clear it up. The Benelli has a small arm attached at the rear of the bolt that pushes against a cup at the rear of the receiver. Behind the cup is the recoil spring that is located in the butt stock. Because of this, there is very little added weight or drag to the bolt. The Benelli is FAST! REAL FAST!

The Franchi bolt looks almost identical however instead of the arm, cup and buttstock located recoil spring it has the following; the bolt sits inside of a long and somewhat large set of steel arms. the steel arms go forward all the way up to the front of the foregrip. The recoil spring is located inside the foregrip where the steel arms pull against the recoil spring instead of pushing against it. Because of the steel arm bolt carrier design the Franchi is slower than the Benelli. I would rate the Franchi speed as Medium. (Remington 1100 would be slow for comparison sake).

Both guns are very easy to disassemble. The benelli is easier to clean the receiver since it has a 2 piece receiver and essentially the top of the receiver comes right off. The Franchi receiver is still easy to clean though and in fact it is easier to clean the Franchi recoil assembly than the Benelli. If comparing the Franchi against a Benelli one piece receiver then it is roughly the same ease of cleaning.

The Benelli handles extremely well. I have the 30" barrel and it is excellent for sporting clays. It is good for skeet except on a few of the shots the longer barrel is a little slower to get on the bird... and with skeet barrel speed can really help. Now for the real surprise. The Franchi in my opinion handles EXTREMELY WELL. It is a meduim weight gun and swings perfectly smooth with a great balance. I have only had it a few days and I am very glad I bought it. Quite frankly I can not believe a gun in this price range handles this well.

The Benelli has been super reliable feeding anything I put in it including 1oz & 1 1/8 OZ #8 and #9 from Remington, Federal and RIO. The Franchi has had about 15% failuire to feed the second round using Federal Top Gun #8 1oz loads. It appears that some of the rounds just do not have the snot to cycle the load. Using Remington Gun Club #9 1 1/8 oz loads and using Rio #9 1oz loads the Franchi was 100% reliable. I tried two 7/8oz loads and Mr. Franchi told me to forget about it. The Gun is brand new with only 200 rounds through her so maybe it will loosen up and handle the Federals. It does appear that the gun will be ultra reliable if making sure to buy loads it likes. I will experiment more and report back if I find out more.

I really like the I-12 and am very glad I picked it up. I would definately recommend it for a skeet, sporting clays or hunting gun as long as it fits you and you like the looks, which I do. For what it is worth, the Benelli Super Sport is an incredible gun, many people ask me about it at the range and want to try shooting it and everyone of them say the same thing, "it shoulders and points better than any other gun they have picked up". The cordoba is the exact same gun with different finish and wood and I found it to feel this way when shouldering them in shops too. Highly reccomend the Super Sport and Cordoba too. But if you want a shot gun under $1000 you will be happy with the Franchi.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering either of these guns. let me know if you have any questions.

Post subject: Re: Benelli VS Franchi
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Benelli does not own Franchi.

BOB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Benelli, stoeger, Franchi and a bunch of others are owned by Beretta.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:12 am 
Tournament Grade

Also not all Benelli are the same as the Super Sport like the Vinci.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe Benelli bought Franchi and then Beretta bought Benelli. But that was not really the point of my posting.

Nor did I even mention anything about all Benelli's being the same as there are many differences in Benelli models. I was specifically talking about the Super Sport and the Franchi I-12.

There are a lot of people looking for information that would help them decide what to buy. I just though this info from someone who owns and is shooting both guns might be helpful to those looking for info while deciding what they want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 pm 

Good review. Both guns have their merits. A bloke I hunt with picked up an I12 recently. I didn't really care for the "crease" line from the receiver all the way into the stock but I did like the recoil pad and the high rib. I shot it well, did 2 rounds of trap and was none the worse for wear afterwards.
You put yourself in a quandry though.................which gun are ya gonna grab next time out on the range? :mrgreen:

Amassing a stockpile of shotshells

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 pm 
Limited Edition

The I 12 is a slightly rougher Benelli. At the range I work at, there has only been one Franchi, it consitantly choked after getting dirty with 50rnds of gun club. The owner switched to the hotter Federal and started back up 100%.

.45ACP is......(mind wandering)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:37 am 
Field Grade

Guy at the range last week had a franchi. he was shooting sporting clays and had a 50% failure rate on cycling the second shell. he also had a blood blister on the tip of his finger from somehow getting pinched while loading shells.

Worst part was watching him wrestle with it between clays trying to get it to cycle. Could have been bad ammo, but I have never had this issue, EVER, out of my SBE. made me appreciate the benelli.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

What model Franchi did he have?
What exact brand of ammo? What Dram? What shot size and weight?

It would be helpfull to know these things rather than just some Franchi failed with some ammo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry Big Shooter I missed your question before. I will likely shoo the Franchi for a while. I want to see how reliable it is after it is broken in and I really like the handling. Of course if my son is with me the Benelli will be at the range with us anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm 
Field Grade

Great review. Keep them coming as you learn your Franchi better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well I have 6 boxes of shells packed for tomorrow. it is supposed to be sunny so I will have more info tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went to the Skeet and sporting clays ranges today. I shot 4 boxes of Rio #9 1oz loads and had 3 failures to load the second round. Shot 1 box of federal #8 1oz loads and the gun functioned 100%.

All total there is about 300 rounds through the gun. Reliability with the light loads is getting better but not perfect. Tomorrow I will try some #8 1 1/8 oz loads to see if they function better.

Handling is superb and I shot very well with it today. Hopefully the gun will break in a bit and handle th 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads reliably.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

While I have been breaking in the Franchi my son has been shooting the Benelli Super Sport. I bought the Benelli used and it was broken in already. We have put about 1000 rounds through it and only had one malfunction. The malfunction occured shooting a teal on the clays range and I was pointed up at a very high angle and might not have had the gun shouldered good, but hard to tell. The gun is incredibly easy to clean and just does not require a lot of maintenance. It just runs. Anyone thinking about buying a SS or Cordoba should not hesitate, it is just fantastic.

the Franchi's reliability is getting better the more I shoot it. Today, I shot 3 boxes of Federal Top Gun #8 1oz loads. The same ones I had problems with before. I had one failure to load the second round but I am not sure I was shouldered real well. I also ran a box of Remington Gun Club #8 1 1/8 oz loads with no issues. So this is 1 failure out of 100 rounds today. A total of about 400 rounds are through the gun now. I will continue to run 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads until I have concolusive info for you. Thus far it seems as though 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 Dram loads work reliably. 1 oz loads seem to be just on that line where you get some failures. Once I pass the 500 round mark it should be conclusive.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

put 100 rounds of Remington Gun Club 1 1/8th oz 2 3/4 DRAM #8 loads through the Franchi at the sporting clays range today and it funtioned 100% perfectly. So far I have had no failures using 1 1/8 oz loads.
Will contune shooting 1oz loads in the future to see if it will become reliable with those too.

Also loaned the Benelli to a friend who shot with me. The person is a beginner. They shot 1oz #8 loads through it and there were no failures, cause there never is with that gun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:21 am 
Tournament Grade

shot another 125 rounds out of the Franchi yesterday with no failures. 75 shots were 1/18 oz loads and 50 shots were 1oz loads. It seems as though it is broken in now. It has been approx 300 rounds since I have had a failure.

I just bought 2 more cases of 1 oz loads. I will let you know if there is any failures in those cases.

The Benelli stayed at home yesterday, but it is beggin to get out to the range.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Franchi has over 1000 rounds through her now. I have been feeding it #8 & #9 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads all 2 3/4 DRAM. Remington Gun Club & Federal Top Gun.

The gun is running like a clock now. I have not had a failure in over 600 or 650 rounds. The gun is broken in now and just runs great. Still love the handling.

Definately reccomend the gun and also reccomend breaking in it with some 1 1/8 3 dram loads.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been reading your field test of the I-12 and may consider one again for duck hunting. Sounds like a fairly reliable shooter. I had been a little reluctant due to the issues the earlier models had. I liked the way it felt from the first time i handled one, but had two friends buy the guns and after a short time, started having mechanical trouble, both with broken parts in the receiver and failure to cycle certain loads. I felt bad because i had pushed them toward the I-12 from the get go. They got their money back at least.

I know your testing is still early and on going , but i hope they got the kinks worked out.

Thanks for the time spent posting up these results. I'll be watching for more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am in love with my Cordoba and that's all I have to say about that.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

I understand that MW... Cordoba and Super Sport are the same gun with different finish. No doubt it is just an awesome gun and it is easy to shoot, super reliable, points great. The Franchi costs half as much so for anyone that cost is an issue it makes a nice alternative.

Chilled Shot, my Franchi is definately newer stock, I think it was made in 2009. The early models I think were from 2005 or 2007. How many rounds did your friends put through the gun before they had breakage? What broke, parts in the trigger group, firing pin, other? Trigger group or firing pin would be my guess because there really isn't much else to break in the gun. The bolt, bolt carrier and recoil spring are really the only other major parts. Also were they shooting target loads or heavy loads? I have only been shooting target loads so I am not really putting a lot of stress on the gun.