CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best extended magazine tubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:54 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500 and I would like to put extended magazine tubes on both of them. Who makes the best extended mag tube for 870 or 500 at a reasonable price?

Post subject: Re: Best extended magazine tubes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Crown Grade

For the 870, you might check out S&J Hardware, Vang Comp, and Nordic Components for the best quality. However, be ready to spend over $100 for the tube. Wilson and Gun Connection offer good quality extensions for pretty reasonable prices.
For the 500, unless it is one of the tactical models with the 590 style magazine tube and barrel, it is impossible to extend the magazine tube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

If you can sell your 500 for $250, you can apply that towards a new 590. Otherwise, take a look at the Brownells MOSSBERG 500 HIGH CAPACITY (8+1, but probably 7+1) SHOTGUN KIT, 078-000-162, $150.99. You may also want to get a Brownells Stainless Steel Magazine Follower for 12 gauge Mossbergs, #080-000-167, $21.99 and a Wolff #17905 Mossberg 590 9 Shot XP Magazine Spring, $8.99. Welcome to the Basement, and good luck, sonrider657.

MAX100 wrote:
The mag spring needs to extend past the mag tube about 8". I would go with the Wolff universal 12Ga springs. They are very high quality and strong with thin wire coils that are wide set and allow the most room in the mag tube. They come 40" long and need to be cut to size. Cut it to 28" or 29" and bend the ends down closer to the lower coil so they don't stick up. I buy 100 at a time. I sell them already sized and shaped for the 590 shotguns. GC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:44 am 
Tournament Grade

sonrider657 wrote:
I have a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500 and I would like to put extended magazine tubes on both of them. Who makes the best extended mag tube for 870 or 500 at a reasonable price?

IMHO, NONE. When you add an extention... you are adding undue pressure/stress on mag tube screw threads, joint problems (could hang up), etc. IMO, the best mag tubes are those that are SOLID (one piece), no attatchments. If you ARE going to use a mag extension... the longer you go, the more problems you face. I personally opted for a +1 only (wilson combat) for exactly this reason. The +1 is short enough that it does not have the "joint" problem of longer ones, does not require a bracket/brace, etc. As far as $ goes... Wilson is a great deal and a great product. Wilson mag tube extensions come with HiVis follower, Spring, Extended tube, and all for around $50. I use the +1 on my 870 with ZERO problems. Max100 also has a good rep on here (and I'm told also supplies a spring as well).
As for the 500? NO. There is no way of extending the mag tube on a 500 unless you have a specialized model (as mentioned). If you have a "barrel bolt" than NO, you can't add. If you have the 590 style "clean through" type mag tube (cap threaded ONTO mag tube), than yes, you can add an extension. You can always get an extended barrel/mag tube kit for your 500...but that would be cost prohibitive as the added cost would be MORE than the extra you'd spend to get a 590 in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:50 am 
Limited Edition

Ken M1 wrote:
sonrider657 wrote:

IMHO, NONE. When you add an extention... you are adding undue pressure/stress on mag tube screw threads, joint problems (could hang up), etc. IMO, the best mag tubes are those that are SOLID (one piece), no attatchments. If you ARE going to use a mag extension... the longer you go, the more problems you face. I personally opted for a +1 only (wilson combat) for exactly this reason. The +1 is short enough that it does not have the "joint" problem of longer ones, does not require a bracket/brace, etc. As far as $ goes... Wilson is a great deal and a great product. Wilson mag tube extensions come with HiVis follower, Spring, Extended tube, and all for around $50. I use the +1 on my 870 with ZERO problems. Max100 also has a good rep on here (and I'm told also supplies a spring as well).
As for the 500? NO. There is no way of extending the mag tube on a 500 unless you have a specialized model (as mentioned). If you have a "barrel bolt" than NO, you can't add. If you have the 590 style "clean through" type mag tube (cap threaded ONTO mag tube), than yes, you can add an extension. You can always get an extended barrel/mag tube kit for your 500...but that would be cost prohibitive as the added cost would be MORE than the extra you'd spend to get a 590 in the first place.

You CAN extend your mag tube for a Moss500. Its just not a "bolt on".

18" barrel 7 shot 6+1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey Ken M1, Is that a kit, or did you make it? I've only seen the 20" barrel kit, but want to keep my barrell at 18". If that's your handy work, good job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:59 am 
Tournament Grade

mr.mac wrote:
Hey Ken M1, Is that a kit, or did you make it? I've only seen the 20" barrel kit, but want to keep my barrell at 18". If that's your handy work, good job.

That's not me. That's someone installing a 20" barrel and 7 shot mag tube (all easily available...although for about $150) and lopping off the extra of the 20" barrel to make it closer to 18". That IS a bolt on. However.. cost prohibitive. It makes more sense to buy an 590 to begin with rather than buying a 500 for about $350 and spending another $150 for a kit (mag tube and barrel) and then whatever for lopping off the excess barrel (without barrel mod, you're now looking at $500. More than you could possibly get a 590A1 for!).
As I stated before...500 mags are NOT extendable. They can be REPLACED from 5 shot to 7 (with longer mag tube for $$), but NOT extended.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 am 
Crown Grade

Prc77's 500 was converted by King Armory prior to (during?) that companies customer service meltdown and subsequent shutdown. Prior to the meltdown, the owner of the company posted here fairly frequently under the name KingJoey, and his company was well regarded for their quality of work.
Prc77's 500 might be the only gun like it out there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 am 
Limited Edition

Ken M1 wrote:
mr.mac wrote:

That's not me. That's someone installing a 20" barrel and 7 shot mag tube (all easily available...although for about $150) and lopping off the extra of the 20" barrel to make it closer to 18". That IS a bolt on. However.. cost prohibitive. It makes more sense to buy an 590 to begin with rather than buying a 500 for about $350 and spending another $150 for a kit (mag tube and barrel) and then whatever for lopping off the excess barrel (without barrel mod, you're now looking at $500. More than you could possibly get a 590A1 for!).
As I stated before...500 mags are NOT extendable. They can be REPLACED from 5 shot to 7 (with longer mag tube for $$), but NOT extended.

For the record, it is a Factory Mossberg 18.5" barrel. Take down lug was moved forward. Mag tube was a Mossberg Factory 7 shot, that was cut down to fit the new location of the take down lug. Making it now a 6 shot tube.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:22 am 
Tournament Grade

prc77 wrote:
Ken M1 wrote:
mr.mac wrote:

For the record, it is a Factory Mossberg 18.5" barrel. Take down lug was moved forward. Mag tube was a Mossberg Factory 7 shot, that was cut down to fit the new location of the take down lug. Making it now a 6 shot tube.

Gotcha. As I said before...there is no extension for a 500 (that was a custom fab job involving moving barrel lug, etc). A 500 is at fixed capacity (be it 5 shot or 7, or 9 for 590). Again...the answer to the OP is there is NO aftermarket extension for the 500.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 am 
Limited Edition

Ken M1 wrote:
sonrider657 wrote:

As for the 500? NO. There is no way of extending the mag tube on a 500

This is what I responded to, not the OP's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 am 
Tournament Grade

i've got a Wilson +2 on my 870P and the quality is excellent. it is a little rough on the initial installation, but with some spray lubricant goes on easily after some setting time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:35 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the excellent information!

Is there a way to extend the mag tube on a Mossberg 835?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 am 
Utility Grade

prc77 who moved your take down lug?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
Utility Grade

So does anyone know if this Mossberg Hi-Cap conversions on Brownell's website is for real? Has anyone ever really used one, bought or seen one??

I have one on back order, but wonder if I have any hope of ever seeing one....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
I think that Brownell's always has back-orders accepted listed for this kit, and I do not remember reports here by any purchasers. Just call Brownell's and when you know their process, tell us. I assume that Brownell's special orders them one kit at a time from Mossberg, and I assume that everyone that has ever ordered one did get one. But tell us what you hear, and welcome to the Basement, trknic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:33 am 
Field Grade

I'm in agreement with Ken M1 on taking a look at the current +1 Wilson extensions on an 870. They provide another round without needing a bracket/clamp, are not prone to problems with followers or rims catching on something, are unlikely to bugger up the end of the magazine tube, and are priced right... particularly for a heavy-duty steel assembly.

(On models having a sling plate that is on the tight end of tolerances, I would recommend spinning the plate around by hand for a couple minutes to wear it in/free it up a bit before trying to install it on the shotgun.)

If a person has to have a +2 or +3, then there are a bunch of good ones for an 870 (including the factory extensions, as long as care is taken on reassembly).