CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Citori White Lightning vs Beretta Silver Pigeon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm 
Field Grade

I have an opportunity to buy a Silver Pigeon 20 ga at a very good price. I already have a Citori White Lightning 20 gauge. Both guns would be used for grouse, quail, doves and clays to keep my shooting skills sharp.

Anybody have any experience with the Beretta over/unders and how do they compare to the Citori's - reliability, maintenance, patterning, etc.? Appreciate your input.

Post subject: Re: Citori White Lightning vs Beretta Silver Pigeon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

You will get fanatics of both brands, as they own one. I try to be objective, as I own both brands (in several gauges), and use them about equally.

They are about equal, as far as I am concerned, and that includes quality, as well as reliability and handling. And I OWN and USE both brands of guns.

The Berettas tend to run a little lighter in weight for the same gauge, bbl. length, etc., which is GREAT for hunting and carrying in the field. They do a decent job at the range, as well.

The Brownings are slightly heavier, and are better for swinging on clay targets where more weight is advantageous. They work well in the field, but the extra few ounces add up over the day.

They are BOTH very good guns, and if I could only afford one gun, I would be happy with either one.

It boils down to "You pays yo' money and you makes 'yo choice!"

BobK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

as BobK said you will get fanatics at both ends of the spectrum that will argue over this till their last dying breath. However, most people will tell you in the quality department they are equal. There are, however, some differences that are HUGE to some people regarding fit as mentioned the Berettas tend to be lighter in weight and the Berettas also have a lower profile receiver. they are pretty equal in every other way so shoulder them both and buy the one that fits your tastes best as either way you go you will have a quality gun that you can be proud of.

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

mudpuppy wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a Silver Pigeon 20 ga at a very good price. I already have a Citori White Lightning 20 gauge. Both guns would be used for grouse, quail, doves and clays to keep my shooting skills sharp.

Anybody have any experience with the Beretta over/unders and how do they compare to the Citori's - reliability, maintenance, patterning, etc.? Appreciate your input.

Beretta 'Silver Pigeon' is more modern and superior action design then the Citori.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 am 
Tournament Grade

I own both a Citori 625 in 12 gauge and a Beretta Silver Pigeon II in 12 gauge. I also own a Beretta Silver Pigeon II in 20 gauge. While I enjoy both brands I have become partial to the Berettas for the following reasons:

Lighter weight (already mentioned by Bobk)
Lower profile receiver which handles better to me
Eye candy-more elaborate engraving on receiver and barrels
Barrel selector on the Beretta is both functional AND elegant

What I don't like about the Berettas is:
The wood...both mine leave a lot to be desired and will be visiting Rich Cole for an upgrade
The safeties on both mine were way too hard to move. I took the stocks off and made some "adjustments" and now they work just right.
I also disabled the automatic safety feature as I don't like them, now they are manual safeties.

I will say for duck hunting I prefer my Citori because it is heavier and swings so smoothly but for carrying all day upland hunting the nod goes to the Beretta.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't have much to add except for agreement with what has already been said.
1. Berettas are slimmer and generally lighter
2. Browning & Beretta are similar in quality

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own both brands of B guns and love 'em.
Browning offers excellent customer service. Beretta, in my opinion, does not....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:31 pm 
Field Grade

sepp wrote:
I also disabled the automatic safety feature as I don't like them, now they are manual safeties.I will say for duck hunting I prefer my Citori because it is heavier and swings so smoothly but for carrying all day upland hunting the nod goes to the Beretta.

Can you tell me where to find the instructions to disable that annoying automatic safety feature?? I just bought a Browning White Lightning and would like to have the safety stay in the off positiion until I put it manually in the safe position.

Thanks,

Bill