CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: value of shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm working on an estate and have several old shotguns I'm looking for the age and value.

Harrington Richards 12 Gauge single barrel with the number 31271 stamped on the trigger guard.
Any help would be much appreciated

Thank You
Putt

Post subject: Re: value of shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

putt wrote:
I'm working on an estate and have several old shotguns I'm looking for the age and value.

Harrington Richards 12 Gauge single barrel with the number 31271 stamped on the trigger guard.
Any help would be much appreciated

Thank You
Putt

You can buy these brand new for a bit more than $100. A used one is worth no more than $75, usually a good bit less. No idea when it was made-- I've never seen a serial number list for H&R, but know that old doesn't automatically mean valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:18 am 
Utility Grade

Thank You
My Dad had this gun for as far back as I can remember and I'm 65 So I'm guessing it was made sometime in the early 40's

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a 1800 Purdy double barrel black powder shotgun, does anyone have any idea of a value,
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jim 58 wrote:
I have a 1800 Purdy double barrel black powder shotgun, does anyone have any idea of a value,
Thanks

If you really have a Purdey, you should have it professionally appraised.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:35 pm 
Utility Grade

It has it on the gun and on top it says twisted wire barrel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 am 
Utility Grade

I have one more shotgun I found that I need to know the value .

I can barely make out some of the mfg

Does IVER JOHNSONS ARMS & CYCL WORKS make any sense ?
Itchburg Mass US Champion
92609 is stamped on the trigger guard

This is a 410 single barrel shotgun

All this is barely readable so I'm not sure what may be missing .

Any info would be much appreciated this is the last gun of the estate

Thank You
putt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Iver Johnson Champion single barrel shotguns (Fitchburg, MA) were manufactured between 1909 and 1956. Recent values have ranged from $25.-(poor) up to $275.-(Exc.) depending on condition and local demand. Dan Shideler quotes matted rib versions as worth a $20.- to $25.- premium. A vent rib version could demand a 100% premium.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:11 am 
Utility Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
Iver Johnson Champion single barrel shotguns (Fitchburg, MA) were manufactured between 1909 and 1956. Recent values have ranged from $25.-(poor) up to $275.-(Exc.) depending on condition and local demand. Dan Shideler quotes matted rib versions as worth a $20.- to $25.- premium. A vent rib version could demand a 100% premium.
Montani Semper Liberi

Thank you for your response.

I'm not gun savvy so could you elaborate on what is meant by rib and vent rib versions ?

Thank You

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 pm 
Crown Grade

With the exception of shotguns designed for shooting Ball and Slugs, shotguns should be pointed, not aimed like a rifle. A raised rib, either solid or ventilated, contributes to the visual pointability of a gun. A solid rib is a raised section of metal (usually steel) the length of the barrel and affixed to the top of a single barrel or to the top barrel of an over/under. A raised rib may also be centered between the barrels of a side by side gun. A ventilated rib is used to deflect the shimmering heat waves rising from a hot gun barrel away from the shooter's line of sight and present a clearer view of the target. Many ribs taper in width from the breech end of a barrel to the muzzle. The top surface of a rib is frequently filed or knurled so as to ensure that it is not obscured by reflected natural lighting as the gun is being mounted and pointed. A typical rib may have a width at the breech of 3/8" and taper to 1/4" at the muzzle. Other ribs, especially those of target grade guns, may have different widths and heights according to the manufacturer's specifications.

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you very much and also to all who posted replies to me is much appreciated

putt