CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spolar gold
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just sold a whole bunch of fishing gear and aquired a little bit of money. Don't know what to do with it so I was looking hard into getting a Spolar gold. What are your reviews on this press? I was also looking into a PW800 and 9000G.

Post subject: Re: Spolar gold
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

v_k

I bought a PW 800+ 12 ga. about six months ago and am very happy. Having cranked out around 4 K shells it's just getting smoother all the time. PW is easy to adjust if need be, mine loaded just fine out of the box, needing a small adjustment of the shell post and primer depth to make the shells perfect. You cannot tell the difference between a once fired reload from the PW and factory new ( Nitro 27) at first glance, only the powder smudge on the crimp of the reload gives it away. Spolar is top shelf equipment no doubt, however I was able to buy the PW along with 20 & 28 ga. toolheads for less than the cost of the Spolar. Buy the shovel handle if you go the PW route as the handle rotates in your hand making one pull one shell more enjoyable.

Loaded six hundred shells yesterday and rejected one (1) for a bad crimp........

MY three MEC's Sizemasters still set on the shelf, great for special loads like spreaders.

TM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:39 pm 
Field Grade

I've had a Spolar a little more than 5 years .

It performs as well as I hoped it would .

I would recommend it to anyone who can bring themselves to make that kind of investment . I had to think about it quite awhile , but I'm glad I did .

I put a P W electric drive on last year . That works great , too .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Loaded over 40,000 in one year on a Spolar . Less then five bad shells because of the loader . Best in the class but then the only class .

KEYBEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

Keybear,
I own the MEC and the Spolar; have used the PW...I don't care for them (answering your question, not looking for a battle).

A MEC --especially used--is a good value.
Spolar--if you've got the cabbage--is the way to go. Get the hydraulic pump "from day one". I was feeling thrifty, and fought this temptation ("It'll make you soft" ...). This was a mistake.

But...if you are shooting mostly 12 ga. shells --buy Remington Gun Clubs or Wally-Worlds, and skip the whole reloading thing. It really ain't worth it if you're shooting 5,000 rounds of 12 ga. a year, IMO.

And lastly, "Do as I say, not as I do". Like a junky trying to reform myself, I tell you to, "Put down the needle, man!"

I think you can make a darn nice shell...maybe more consistent than factory...again..not lookin' for a fight. But is it really worth it?

Before you leap; ask yourself--where am I going to get the lead?--how long is it likely to be legal at my club?--how much am I going to shoot?--where am I going to store all this stuff? Have you seen what 20,000 wads looks like?

If the answer is, A) I've got all this stuff nailed, or B) this is just something I want to do for a hobby, then run to Spolar.

If not, shoot Gun Clubs and pat yourself on the back for your own wisdom.

Food for thought,

Regards,

Lester.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Barring the few differences between a spolar and PW, and the fact that the hulls and wads go in the machine the other way around, the machines operate about the same.

Where the huge difference between the machines is the Spolars are all milled parts with bar bearing drives. The PW uses nylon bushings on the drives, and is casted parts with milling done to such.

So barring that, it comes down to pretty and smoothness, and the spolar outclasses the PW machines when it comes to that department. Trust me, had the price of the spolar not be so great, I would have 4 of them instead of the 4 PW machines I now have.

Now lets say that the above at the increase price is not justified to go with spolar machine (s), on the new PW machines, there is a upgrade that you want to make sure that the machine comes with from the start. The new PW machines have a plastic hopper bottom plate, with a factory offered metal plate. If you buy a New PW, pay the extra $50 and have the plate replaced from the start. With larger grain powders, the plastic plate works ok, but come 410 with ball powder, it blows big time due to the plate flex(migration city).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Buy the Spolar and be done with it. You will be glad you did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am 
Presentation Grade

vital_kill wrote:
I just sold a whole bunch of fishing gear and aquired a little bit of money. Don't know what to do with it so I was looking hard into getting a Spolar gold. What are your reviews on this press? I was also looking into a PW800 and 9000G.

If you like nice tools buy the Spolar - you will never regret that decision.

Bill Wood
Life Member:
NRA, NSSA/NSCA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 am 
Field Grade

Trust me, had the price of the spolar not be so great, I would have 4 of them instead of the 4 PW machines I now have.

The beauty of the Spolar is that you don't need 4 of them. You can change the guages in less than 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am 
Crown Grade

cbeard wrote:
Trust me, had the price of the spolar not be so great, I would have 4 of them instead of the 4 PW machines I now have.

The beauty of the Spolar is that you don't need 4 of them. You can change the guages in less than 10 minutes.

Same with the PW presses, but it's 10 min of my life that I am never getting back.
Plus, the total price for my 4 PW machines to cover me in all 4 gauges, was under $1200.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

v-k

There you go, bottom line is buy what you want, got the bucks for a Spolar shoot the moon. I bought a PW and had a few dollars left over for a new gun as well. Any of the high end progressive machines load well, so sitting in my little reloading room cranking out shells is my only goal so spending another $800 for another machine just because it looks nicer dosen't make sense. I went from a MEC single stage to the PW 800+ life is good.........

This year when the wife asks what I want for Xmas, electric drive with auto hull feeder for the PW will be the answer...... :D

TM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:02 am 
Utility Grade

I am considering reloading this winter. I am interested in opinions about the following 12 GA presses:

1. MEC 9000 series
2. Hornady 366 Auto
3. Dillon

I like the PW's but may be too pricey for my budget (approx. $500). Based on preliminary research, the Hornady appears to be a better built machine than MEC at this price point.

I am new to reloading, so your opinions are welcome.

JW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

I have 3 of the 366's (had 4 sold one as I don't load .410 anymore) and they are great machines. The main thing I would add to a 366 is the spring loaded primer seater. It makes reloading a snap. That said I now load mostly 12 ga. these days and use a MEC 9000 W/ Automate. For me it is a dream machine and will last far longer than I will at my age!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 am 
Field Grade

Not to stir the pot but why not consider a Dillon SL900? It is a great press. The only thing it won't do is 410 but gauge changes for the other three gauges. It is hefty, smooth, and with the hull feed attachment you can crank out shells quick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been using MECs for about a year, I have 600Jr MKV and a 650 never had any problems. I am interested in anyones view of the Dillon. I have 4 Dillons for my metallic reloading and they are really great.

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 am 
Field Grade

I posted this in another fourm

First let me say I have only owned my Dillon for two months and it is my first reloader. I own a SL900 for 12, 20, and 28 and a MEC 9000 for 410. Dillon does not make a 410 as they have said there are issues with shot bridging in their design. It is on the back burner there but they said it might be revived. The dillon is awesome. It is well built, very sturdy and with the casefeed you can crank out shells. I put out 400 20ga in 40minutes the other day without even trying. In total I have run over 2500 shells in two months. (Updated to 3400 as I just did 400 20ga and 400 28ga)

When you receive the box it is huge! It probably stands 36" or so off the top of my bench. Assembly is easy and quick. Be sure to anchor it to the table. The case feed slides right on the case tube and makes turning out lots of shells easy. Gauge changes are quick. Maybe 10 min the first time you do it but the next time 5 or less. The shot hopper is 25lbs and the powder is about 1lb or so. Adjustment for shot and powder drops are easy and just require an allen wrench. The drops have been very stable for me from reloading session to reloading session. The pull arm is sturdy and long enough that the lever action makes cranking out a shell easy.

The only issue I have had is in 28ga the wads were slipping back out, could be trapped air, but dillon redesigned the 28ga shot tube and sent me another free of charge. It came adjusted from Dillon for WinAA and I did not have to mess with it at all except for a quick adjustment for the primier drop. This fix worked great.

Compared to the MEC 410 it is not as finicky and seems much more "beefy". I would not hesitate to buy one again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 pm 
Field Grade

Spolar Gold....I fought over this for 6 months, bought a mec9000h (never again) I sold it and spent the best money that I have spent in a long time.... I have had it almost 2 years this november and have loaded close to 35k rounds....It is a dream!!! By the way I have 2 dillion 1050's and they are the spolar of the centerfire world....I owned the SL900 awhile back, it was ok (before my daughter got in to shotgun) but there is no world were it's in any class like the Spolar!...If you just can't bring yourself to spend the money, my next choice would be a PW....
t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 am 
Field Grade

The drawback to the mec is the size of the shot drop tube. The tubes ID is to small to effectively drop anything bigger than #7-1/2. We tried to use my buddies Mec to load up some pheasant rounds with #6 & #4 . The shot would hang up in the drop tube and this created a very messy scenario. We ended up using my Hornady Apex to load all of the pheasant stuff. I have a 366 also for 20 ga. I like both of them . What I liked the best about them was I bought both of them used off ebay for $175.00 each with shipping. The scarce Hornady powder bushings were remedied with a mec conversion bushing that I bought in the same place . It was $7.95 and very good investment. I like the machines , but , would imagine that there are better machines out there. All of the bushings will interchange between Hornady, PW and Spolar.

The Apex has been a good machine , but , has several plastic parts and Hornady doesnt make parts for it anymore. This will be a problem in the future.

Look around on ebay . Do searches for everything using different descriptions. Shotshell reloaders , Shotgun reloaders, Shotshell presses. Pacific made the 366 before Hornady took it over so be sure and include both Brands in the searches. When I bought mine they were listed in funnycategories so that was one reason for obtaining them so cheap. The similiar loaders were selling for around $300.00. There were only a couple of bidders since they were not in a very common category.