CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 problems...action bars, shell latch, firing pin spring.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Nice forum here. Glad I found it.
I have an 870 just a year old with exactly 53 rounds down it. I may actually get to take it out soon and was cleaning it up. During the cleaning I noticed the actions bars, mostly right side, are slightly tweaked inward. I think this may be why the action is so stiff when cycling. Is it possilbe to straighten the bars? If so what is the best method to make sure they are true? If they are to tweaked, I have access to a new super mag fore end assem. Will this work on an express? It looks like the forend grip it self would have to be changed.

The right side shell latch has come loose as well. Should this part have a slight bend in it, as mine does? If so I assume I can just have it restaked?

Finally, the firing pin spring is broke in 2 different places. Is swapping this out a straight forward deal? Will pin protrusion change with a new spring? I don't want to create any other problems, and would a wolff replacement spring be of any benefit? If anybody has experince with one.

thanks for the help
FT in PhoenixAZ

Post subject: Re: 870 problems...action bars, shell latch, firing pin spri
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The action bars are normally curved in slightly, and the bolt keeps them straight. A drop of superglue will fix the shell release. Browning doesn't stake theirs to begin with, and they are firmly held in correct position when the gun is fully assembled.
Firing pin spring should be changed if it is broken. Can you actually separate it, because it looks like it is broken because of the different twist patterns if you are looking at one for the first time.