CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel 200E
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

A week ago I visited the local iron monger to get a brake cable for the bicycle. However, the gun seller in the shop took me aside and showed me a Merkel 200E, 1955 vintage, 12 ga, choked for bird shooting, Boehler barrels, english straight stock, beautiful wood and double triggers. I brought it home and will apply for an gun permit of it. Price circa $550.

The pictures are clickable for magnification - then use the back-button of the browser to return to the thread.

Pete

Post subject: Re: Merkel 200E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:17 am 
Limited Edition

Assuming this gun is tight, with no pitting, rust, chips, wood missing etc, you made a very good purchase...in fact you stole this gun....you should be feeling some guilt!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:09 pm 
Field Grade

Holy theft Batman! That is quite a steal! Most I've seen from that era are $1500 - $2500, and this has a much nicer looking stock than normal on the standard 200E's from that era. So, does it have 26, 28 or 30" barrels? How much does she weigh? What will you be hunting with it?

Congratulations.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Y'all need to remember that pumpgun swede is from Sweden and the prices are different there than here in the USA. And I have never seen a Merkel O/U that was not tight on face, I doubt that you could shoot one loose in 5 life times.

http://www.alkalicorp.com/
http://www.alkalicorp.org/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

They are well-built, no doubt, but they can be shot loose, as I learned for personal experience. Fortunately, the dealer (after telling me the action was tight) agreed to pay for the necessary repairs after my gunsmith inspected the gun and concluded differently. No gun is free from that problem.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:52 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with Doverham. I had a 200e 16 gauge that was just starting to get ever so slightly loose. Still had many rounds left before it would need repairs, but the looseness was creeping in.

Doverham, what repairs did your gunsmith make (just curious)?

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:27 am 
Field Grade

The gun is tight and not much shot with. This is a normal price here for a german gun.

BTW, I have tried to sell a fully engraved Simson boxlock for the same price and have had an advertisment for a month. Nobody has called.

Thanks for your friendly comments!

Pete

Edit: I have altered some words above. It can give the impression that I am trying to sell it here, which I not intend to, and I am also not sure that the forum would allowed that.

Last edited by Pumpgun Swede on Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
Doverham, what repairs did your gunsmith make (just curious)?

My gunsmith is from Russia and is very familiar with Merkels. He offered several solutions to the problem including replacing the hinge pin or builiding up the face of the barrel lump that comes into contact with the hinge pin. The latter can either be done with TIG welding or some kind of metal spray alternative. After talking it through, we decided to try the hinge pin replacement. He is working on it now - I will let you know how it comes out in a week or two.