CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locked Action Bar - Remington 870
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a brand new Remington 870 Express. Upon trying to assemble the shotgun, I noticed that it appears that the action bar is jammed or locked (pushing with my thumb, it would not budge. I even tried using the non-metal end of my spiderco knife to see if that would push it - but no luck). Does anyone know if there is a simple issue with this? I live over 110 miles from where I bought it and taking it back is a tough call becuase that's 220 miles to drive.

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Locked Action Bar - Remington 870
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not sure if I understand your question completely.
Is the gun assembled or apart? Are you saying the slide won't retract?
Pushing up on the slide release button near the triggerguard doesn't help anything?
If its cocked and unloaded, pulling the trigger should also allow the slide to come back.
If its alrady assembled, can you remove the barrel and see if the bar is out of place, twisted or anything?
Sorry, this is probably not much help. Tells us more.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:26 pm 
Utility Grade

So I took it out of the box. It comes unassembled. Manual said clean the barrell, which I did. Then it says to push up on the action bar and pull the forend about halfway. Problem is thAt I could not push up on the action bar.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

not the normal procedure but try this:
Take a punch/nail,whatever and drive out the two retaining pins that hold the trigger group in place.
That should free up the bolt/carrier group.
Then remove the bolt assembly carrier and clean out (with solvent); the inside of the action, the entire bolt/carrier group, trigger group...............the works....everything!
Give the action insides a wipe down with a oil soaked cloth.
Do the same to the bolt, action bars, trigger group (a shot with a spray can then shake it off works just fine. And do not disassemble the trigger group, do it as is, w/the safety on!), barrel.............if it's metal then lube it inside and out.
This should pretty much get your shotgun fixed up and lubed both.

:idea: Here's the trick to lube a shotgun.............DON"T GO NUTS WITH THE OIL!
Just a LIGHT coat is all you need!

:arrow: Old gunsmith trick is to give everything a good soak with a spray can of lube then blast it all off with compressed air.

:?: Assembly/disassemble instuctions?
Check here! viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44263
Or You tube,,,,,tons of stuff there,

Welcome to SGW by the way and get back to us on how it's doing. :mrgreen:

:B3 Gotta be my longest post ever? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Should be: push up on the action bar release, (that button near the triggerguard, facing down) and then slide the fore end about half-way back. Then the barrel cn be dropped on, and then the nut screwed on.
You should never have to touch the actual bar unless you take the gun down completely, and you will do a LOT of shooting before thats needed.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the answers. I'll add more information here. The gun is brand new, never been fired. I paid for it, waited the 10 days, picked it up and drove home. Upon getting home I opened the box. The gun comes with the barrell unattached. So I open up the user manual to make sure I do everything right. Manual says to first clean the barrell - did that. Then it says to remove the nut off - did that. Then the manual says to push up on the action bar and slide the forend back about half way and insert and seat the barrell. Here is where I encounted what I couldn't figure out. While it says to push up on the action bar in the manual, the action bar appears to be frozen/jammed/stuck/locked. My question(s) are: (1) is this supposed to be the way it works? (2) does it sound jammed or locked or stuck? (3) does the action bar loosen up after firing? (4) Should I go ahead and load the tube with some shells and then fire it to see if that does anything?

I may go ahead and disasemble the receiver to see if something has it jammed. But since it's straight out of the box, I assume it shouldn't be this way.

thanks again to all of you for the help... I'm trying like heck to not have to drive the 110 miles each way to get it fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What the manual says:

1. Before assembling, clean the barrel following instructions on page 13.
2. Unscrew and remove the magazine cap.
3. Remove the cardboard packing ring from the magazine tube. See Picture 5.
4. Press upward on the action bar lock. See Picture 4. Pull the fore-end
approximately halfway rearward.
5. Hold the barrel ahead of the barrel guide ring. See Picture 6.
6. Slide the barrel guide ring over the magazine tube.
7. Align the ejector cut on the rear of the barrel with the ejector in the receiver. See Picture 7.
8. Carefully seat the barrel into the receiver. DO NOT force the barrel against the ejector.
9. Replace and tighten the magazine cap.

So are you saying that the action bar lock(also known as the slide release) doesn't move?

Try pressing it while pulling forward on the forearm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I always say it is a good idea to read each instruction in the manual twice and only then attempt an action for the first time... once....
No...don't load it with shells and shoot it to see if that helps anything :roll: .....make sure your gun seem to be functioning normally first...
Closly viewing and reviewing the exploded view/parts list (that still is in the Remington manuals isn't it?) while familiarizing oneself with one's new gun and its operation...I wouldn't force anything...
Are you familar with firearms in general?...its a new gun it probably works all right...take your time....if it don't work right take it back...there's no other alternative realy...... Art

Last edited by lizardbreath on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

spradshot wrote:
... Here is where I encounted what I couldn't figure out. While it says to push up on the action bar in the manual, the action bar appears to be frozen/jammed/stuck/locked. ...

Sometimes the released hammer, which may dangle inside the action, can get caught right behind the bolt. Try to push the fore-end forward, turn the gun upside down letting the hammer fall back, and then see if you can pull the fore-end backward. If the hammer is already released, there is no need to push up the action bar lock. You can, of course, take apart the gun easily. Hope this YouTube clip helps.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x71R5AVtEyw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FYI -- the action bars are the thin metal bars that connect the forearm to the bolt slide.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey thanks to all - and at the risk of sounding not thankful... "YES" i know guns, NO this is not my first gun, YES I know what the action bar is... Yes I followed the directions completely... the issue is that on any of my other shotguns the action bar is easily pushed and you can even hear a clicking noise as you move it. This new 870 the action bar does not move period. I'm thinking there may be something with the bolt.

I like the idea of looking at the complete schematic diagram of the gun to see what else is connected - and then I'll probably break it down and see if I can find the issue there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

NHrural wrote:
FYI -- the action bars are the thin metal bars that connect the forearm to the bolt slide.

Very true!!! I do not know how you can push up on the action bars,it can't be done, what you want to push up is action release that is mounted beside the trigger guard at front end.

A500R

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Are you pushing up on the action bars or the action bar lock? The safety is at the rear of the trigger and the action bar lock is towards the front of the trigger, a small metal "tab" that sticks out at the side of the trigger.

Please don't force anything at this point, no hammers, punches or screwdrivers. You don't want to mess those action bars up $$$.

Jon