CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28-ga. Estate Cartridge reloading data
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:21 am 
Tournament Grade

A friend of mine recently gave me a bunch of once-fired 28-ga. Estate hulls. Can anyone here share a published 3/4 oz. recipe utilizing these hulls with Universal Clays powder?

TIA,
bamboozler

Post subject: Re: 28-ga. Estate Cartridge reloading data
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:51 am 
Presentation Grade

They should reload with the same data as a Federal 28 gauge hull. Just check the data tables at www.hodgdon.com.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use them to reload my garbage can...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just had a bad experience with loading Estate 28ga hulls. I had some that were on their third or fourth reload. The hulls still looked fine. I had to tighten up the primer pockets after the first firing but other than that they appeared fine. Last Wednesday while shooting some five-stand, I ejected one of these hulls and only half the shell came out. Several rounds later, I pull out a hull that was "torn" in the middle. A little later, another half shell came out. All totaled, out of 30-35 rounds I had six hull failures. The last one was a torn hull that ripped completely free and ended up lodged in the barrel. That was the end of the evening for me. I came home and dismantled three boxes of loaded Estate hulls.

What really bothered me about this was that there were no outward signs of fatigue....no cracks, splitting, burning, etc. So, if you're going to load the Estates, my advice would be load once and let'em lay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Estates are good for about 3-5 reloads with moderate loads following Federal recipes

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

I load lots of Federal/Estate hulls. I've yet to experience any of the mentioned problems. I guess I don't keep track of how many times I've loaded them, but several comes to mind. Indeed they are not AAHSs, but they are truly brass bases and do not stick in my Briley tubes. The old Texan Estates are Cheddites, the new dark red ones are not just like Federal, they are Federals.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Estates are good for about 3-5 reloads with moderate loads following Federal recipes

Burnt Powder wrote:
I load lots of Federal/Estate hulls. I've yet to experience any of the mentioned problems. The old Texan Estates are Cheddites, the new dark red ones are not just like Federal, they are Federals.BP

I'll echo both the immediately preceding replies. Like a good engine, dog or girl, one of the secrets to a happy experience is knowing when to stop 'pushing'. 5 reloads is my max., often I stop at 4. Do a search, there has been a ton of good, informative posts on getting life out of these hulls in the past (thread titles often include search terms such as 'RIO', 'PMC', 'Fiocchi', etc., as well as Estate). They are certainly no HS hulls, though; that, sadly, is the truth! Then again, there is only one HS hull . . .
Best o' success!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 am 
Tournament Grade

I've never loaded any Estate hulls, but have loaded Federal hulls. I've had half hulls come out, case mouths gone, splits down the side. First reload third reload it didn't matter. HS all the way for me with the odd batch of STS mixed in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Field Grade

Warden
I noted that you tightened the primer pocket. How did you do this?

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:55 am 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

There is a tool available I think from BPI for doing that. Herter's used to sell one too. I use something similar, a piece of small dia. pipe I can put over the primer hole from the inside and smack with a hammer a couple times. It works for me.

BP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just deprime my straight-walled 28ga hulls as a first step, then resize using my MEC Super-sizer. Works like a charm and I don't have any overt problems with primers backing out. (I use Fiocchi primers, btw.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm another that has had troubles with Estate and Federal 28 ga hulls. Same as above where I eject only half of a hull after firing. Nowadays, I load these hulls only once and then toss them away. Doing this I have even had hull failures. Believe me I look down the barrel after every shot when using these.

Dan

Only The Brave Are Free...Fortune Favors The Bold

DCCBMB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 pm 
Field Grade

Couple of questions. If the 28 gauge hulls are Federals are the 12 gauge also Federals? Can you use Federal data to load the 12 gauge Estate hulls. Lastly what are HS hulls?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:14 pm 
Crown Grade

The Winchester AA-HS hull has the longest reloading life for the 28 and .410 gauges. (That's NOT true for 12s and 20s, though - Remingtons are best there.)

I buy the pricy AA-HS shells, and reload 'em, and they reload well.

When I am given or get a few Estate 28 hulls, I reload 'em ONCE and use 'em for "spares" in case of a broken bird, etc. while I am shooting clays, then toss 'em. It works....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:06 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

All the Estate hulls are Federals nowadays. They bought Estate several years ago. If they are the same color as Federals they are Federals. If they are a bit different looking, orangish instead of maroon, they are Cheddites.

BP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 pm 
Crown Grade

DanAKAL,has the right idea,and safe too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Warden wrote:
Just had a bad experience with loading Estate 28ga hulls. I had some that were on their third or fourth reload. The hulls still looked fine. I had to tighten up the primer pockets after the first firing but other than that they appeared fine. Last Wednesday while shooting some five-stand, I ejected one of these hulls and only half the shell came out. Several rounds later, I pull out a hull that was "torn" in the middle. A little later, another half shell came out. All totaled, out of 30-35 rounds I had six hull failures. The last one was a torn hull that ripped completely free and ended up lodged in the barrel. That was the end of the evening for me. I came home and dismantled three boxes of loaded Estate hulls.

What really bothered me about this was that there were no outward signs of fatigue....no cracks, splitting, burning, etc. So, if you're going to load the Estates, my advice would be load once and let'em lay.

I have seen brand new federal 12 gauge shells do this..

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20