CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adjustable comb
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Can you tell me about your experiences with having your factory stock cut to make the comb adjustable? Who did it? Were you happy with the worksmanship? Is your POI where you want it now? Would you do it again? How much did it cost? How long did it take? Advice?

My son is averaging low 20s at trap after just 2 months of shotgun experience. His Baikal 12ga has a POI like a field gun which makes him shoulder it high to compensate for the low POI. I am thinking that I would spend a couple hundred to add an adjustable comb to make the gun more comfortable for him. He loves the gun and smokes clays with it. Even with the cost of adding an adjustable comb it is 1/4 the price of any thing else with a factory adjustable comb. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: adjustable comb
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I put adjustable combs on my Baikal IZH-27,my Baikal IZH-43, and my Rem 11-87 SP.
Who did it?
Me (machinist by trade)
Were you happy with the worksmanship?
yes
How much did it cost?
about $40 (graco 7/8" dia dual post from brownells)
Is your POI where you want it now?
absolutely, and i can change it from sporting 50/50, to trap 70/30
how long did it take?
about 2 hrs per gun.
Would you do it again?
yes, if the gun needed it,
the only guns that didn't really need it, and hit pretty much 60/40
with perfect side to side is my rem 870 and mossy 835.
so they are still stock.
My Baikal IZH-43 SxS needed it the most, it hit really low, and the thing is adjusted up to an almost ugly height, but man can i hit with that gun now!
i can hit with that probably as good or better than any of my guns, people give me strange looks when i pull out the SxS on the trap line, but many have got outshot by it, so they don't snicker too much after that. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:18 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The following scenario is my problem with an adjustable comb:

A guy gets the system on the gun, spends the appropriate time setting it for the desired POI, and starts grinding targets like the big boys. Then comes the inevitable day, and for whatever reason he starts missing----the first thing he does is the easiest and he grabs the allen wrench and starts jackin with the comb-----bad idea! It wasn't the comb, and may take several sessions to make himself believe that.

Otherwise it is a good system. Take it for what it is worth, I would do the following if the gun is going to be used for trap.

I would have whoever is doing the work, build another piece of wood to make the comb parallel with it attached to the A-comb hardware, find the desired POI starting with the impact board, then targets. Then remove one setscrew at a time and mark the shaft it tightens on, remove the assembly and countersink the shaft so the screws set into that cavity so even if they work slightly loose, the adjustment will remain till you can retighten at the end of the round. All I have seen at one time or the other, work loose. Then start burning powder.

Greg Hissem does as good a work as I have ever seen, and he has done thousands of these. He is from Kansas, I can get you the number if you like. If you are close, he also makes most of the major shoots at least in adjoining states, when he isn't shooting, he's doing woodwork.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:53 am 
Diamond Grade

You should contact Jay, owner of this website, as I believe they will be product testing the new Jones Adjustable butt plate, in which all adjustments can be made externally. No more adjustments coming loose because everything can be set and tightened from the outside.

If you will write a product report and be a real live tester, you will probably get a 50% discount on the product.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:05 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Just send it to Jpe Hollingsworth in Glascow,Ky. Costs about 150 bucks and you will have the gun back inyour hands in a week or less. Excellent work and a great price.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
Greg Hissem does as good a work as I have ever seen, and he has done thousands of these. He is from Kansas, I can get you the number if you like. If you are close, he also makes most of the major shoots at least in adjoining states, when he isn't shooting, he's doing woodwork.
Greg has done a couple of things for me and I can highly reccomend his work. To reach him -

Greg Hissem Stockworks
phone - (316) 706-2662
email - ghissem@onemain.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

You said your son is already bustin' in the 20's...do you really need an adjustable comb? You said he's mounting the gun high on his shoulder...sounds like an adjustable butt plate might be of more help.

If he just wants to be higher on the comb there are Cheekeze foam pads and even elevator pads that stick on and in effect provide a level +- comb height.

Having said all that...I like adjustable combs...adjust it, pattern it, and then forget about it...don't tinker around with it.

UltraMag...I admire your courage in the shop! I have the Graco hardware and have taped off, laid out, and actually turned on the band saw to install on one of my guns. Just can't make myself push the wood into the blade!! But then again, I can't make myself drill and tap a rifle for a scope...know how, just lack the guts to screw it up!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good point about needing an adjustable comb... I am thinking that an adjustable butt plate may be what is called for... he is complaining about soreness due to the toe of the butt poking him from holding the gun so high.

Is there an adjustable butt plate that I can do myself or do they all require shortening the stock to maintain LOP?

I saw the adhesive comb risers this weekend, I have been using mole skin pads to accomplish the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I love mole skin...good, cheap, and fast...the ugly part is even free!

Morgan makes an adjustable pad, Cableas has the for aropund thirty bucks. Easy install.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:20 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I would think twice about the Morgan pad. They (Morgan) are well made,but have no means to adjust for toe in or out, or for slight cast corrections. Take a look at the adjusters from 100 straight or Jones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:51 am 
Another vote for Greg Hissem. He does the external adjusting butt plate and his adjustable comb is one of the best there is. Here are the best in my opinion:

Greg Hissem
Hollingsworth
Country Gentlman Stock Fitter (Tod Nelson)

Any of the above will do an excellent job. I view my gun as a tool to break targets and fit is more important than looks to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot mostly sportingclays and not much skeet or trap.. but I took my Browning 525 to polson montana and had bob james (bobscustomgunshop.com) fit the gun to me through a point of impact process.. I had him add graco's adjustable recoil system (cost $450) to it.. the comb is fully adjustable up n down and side to side as well as the butt plate adjusts and with the recoil reduction it is definately worth the time and money! (the comb is fixed to the rear so that it slides with my face and no the gun as it recoils) I can shoot it all day and never feel bothered by an aching shoulder!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Count mine as another vote of utmost confidence in Greg Hissem's work. He did my fitting and adjustable butt plate for my trap gun. He has my new o/u right now, installing an adjustable butt plate and adjustable comb. Outstanding craftsmanship, reasonable pricing and reliable delivery. Plus, he's a great guy.

I don't know how old your son is, but growth can be a huge factor in fit. Regular adjustments are required for those who are still growing.

I would definitely find a gunfitter to consult with.

If what your son really needs is a higher comb, you can accomplish this with a $12-$15 pad from Cheek-Eez. Sounds like he may need the butt plate adjustment, but you can never be certain from description alone.

Jeff