CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger for Skeet & Trap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:29 pm 
Field Grade

I know if I were to post this thread on any of the "clay" forums I'd get bashed.

I'd like to hear the real deal from someone that owns a Stoeger O/U.

I tried skeet shooting for the first time and enjoyed it very much. I'd like to purchase a 12ga and/or 20ga O/U, for skeet to start, and then try trap and sporting clays.

I don't see myself shooting more than a dozen times a year, and $700 or so is all I'm really able to spend.
Bullseye pistol is still my #1 shooting sport. That's where most of my gun budget goes.

So here's the question, does Stoeger make a gun that can be used for skeet, trap and sporting clays, and will not fall apart on me after a couple of years?
Which gun would you recommend?

Any and all insight is welcome and appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Stoeger for Skeet & Trap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lets start by saying "In order to hit a moving target, all you have to do is put the shot where the target is going to be when the shot gets there." That being said any shotgun that fits properly and puts the shot where you are looking is the one to use. There is a difference in stock dementions between skeet/sporting clays guns and trap guns. Tap guns tend to shoot a little higher. I use a 30" sporting clays gun for all my clay targets. As for Steoger, as long as parts are avaliable it should suit your porposes. My friend has a Mossberg Silver Reserve made in Turkey and likes it a lot. The later models seem to have higher quality steel and he has had no problem with it. Good luck. Choosing a new shotgun can be like choosing a Wife. claytbuster The T stands for target!!!

Last edited by claytbuster on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

stoeger makes a condor competition model that comes with both barrels for 12ga and 20 ga. if you look around you should be able to find one in your price range. claybuster has it right when he said to check out the fit of the shotgun because it can make the difference in how you shoot. i have the condor competition but not in the 12ga 20 ga combo, mine just comes with the 12 ga barrels. i like it and if you are only going to be shooting about a dozen times a year then you will be fine. idk if its just me or not but it seems like the stoegers need to be cleaned after every outing to keep functioning properly. the new 2010 stoeger competition models actually have nicer wood if you check out my other post you can see what im talking about. dont let gun snobs out there talk you out of buying a stoeger. if it fits you and in your range then get it. a gun doesnt have to be 2 thousand dollars to shoot and if you dont shoot trap/skeet enough then stoeger is a good option. i have never shot a mosseberg silver reserve but i will say this i work at a sports authority and we got one in at our gun counter and when we put it on out on display we discovered it to broken forend on one and a very flimsy forend on the other. im not saying all are like that im just saying for the same price range i would go with the stoeger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While the Stoeger may make an acceptable field gun, I would strongly urge you to spend your money elsewhere on a clays gun... a Stoeger simply isn't going to hold up to the demands that even a modest clay shooter would put it through.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a base model Condor and I shoot 5 stand and trap with it. It works great, no issues at all with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:26 am 
Diamond Grade

I don't own a Stoeger shotgun (am currently interested in possibly buying a Stoeger Cougar in a 40 S&W). I target shoot with Brownings and Berettas and would highly recommend that route. Maybe not at first.

I will not bash a Stoeger shotgun because I feel if you are interested in the shooting sports and this is your outlet to get started than go for it. As you progress in shooting another gun will follow. I think it would be crazy to buy a $2500 Citori or 6XX Beretta only to find out this is not your bag. I know a few guys who shoot a Condor Competition and they have many rounds through them and have not suffered any problems. Just get started and don't worry about what you shoot. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I own a Condor Competition and have shot many rounds of trap with it without any problems. That said, I have since switched to a BT99 for trap. The Stoeger is flat shooting, which was not ideal for trap but it still comes to the range with me for skeet. Its nice looking and has been very dependable, most people have no idea that its a Stoeger unless I tell them.

It cost me well under $500 used with 12 and 20GA barrels and I will shoot it until it no longer functions before I spend 4-5 times more on something "good". If you can find one at a decent price, it will be a good place to start.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TAC wrote:
I have a base model Condor and I shoot 5 stand and trap with it.

I also have a base model 12 ga Condor and use it for skeet. I purchased it used for $ 285.00 a couple of years ago and have put over 7,000 rounds thru it with no problems. It was my first over/under, I now have three other O/U and still like shooting the Stoger. Recently tried a set of Briley Companion non fitted sub gauge tubes that I got for one of my other guns in it and am now shooting both 410 and 28 ga in the Condor. If it breaks, I've certainly got my monies worth out of it.
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I got my son a Condor in April. He's put close to 4,000 rds through it so far. I took it apart to relieve a little of the spring tension on the safety for him and polished the slide area a bit so the safety would require less force to actuate. We grease it and oil it regularly. It's as smooth as any gun I've shot except for the DT-10 Trident and cost less than $400.00 in April. This Christmas I'm planning on getting the 12/20 combo for me to use. I've been quite pleased with the Stoeger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

Last edited by Hidalgo on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hidalgo wrote:
And we ALL know that if it doesn't cost $2000 or more ... it won't last more than a few hundred rounds. :lol: :roll:

7000 rounds = piker. It's nothing, a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands of rounds a real clays gun can be expected to go...

Find me guys with 100k or more through a Stoeger, and then we can start to think about their longevity.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Last edited by Hidalgo on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

nobody is saying that a stoeger is better than berettas or brownings and if i had the choice i certainly would choose one of the B guns but for a starter gun its a good choice. those who arent planning on shooting 100's of thousands of rounds through their gun should go with a stoeger. not everyone can justify spending 2000 plus dollars on a shotgun. i just started getting into trap shooting and eventually plan on upgrading but for now my stoeger does its job and i still have money in my pocket to shoot more. if you cant afford a high end shotgun and it would take you too long to save for one go with a stoeger and upgrade when time is right and you can. this is only my opinion tho

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

peter209 wrote:
if you cant afford a high end shotgun

Browning and Beretta are "high end" now? That's news to me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

they may not be as expensive as perazzis or kreighoffs but 2000 bucks and higher makes it high end to me and in this economy makes it a lot of money to spend on a shotgun( even though they are worth it). im just saying if youre getting started and you cant or wont spend 2000 bucks then stoegers are good for someone who doesnt shoot that much

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Let see here. A young man has got a good job making lets say $15.00 an hour witch is a lot of money now days. I think that would be $600.00 a week , God knows what he takes home, and lets say he has a family to feed and rent to pay, and car payments . I would dam well think that a new B gun would be very HIGH END to him. And he doesn't have a clue what a P or K gun is.

drsfmd, There would not be 1 in a 1000 guys that would shoot over 1000 rds a year and you act like every one is going to shoot 10,000 rds a year. You putting these young guys down all the time is getting really old!! I think these guys know that a $500.00 gun is not going to compete with a $2,500 gun but what would you have them do, not shoot at all??? You live in a different world with your K gun but how many K guns do they sell a year.??? I'm glad people buy new cars and new guns, it keeps people working. While your at it I don't know why you don't tell these young guys to all buy used BMW's or such because the rest of the cars are all junk and there going to put a 100,000 miles on them a year, Ya right.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

Some of the replys & feedbacks come from the one that really don't know the Stoeger line of shotguns or have at some point had a bad experance with one. There are good and bad in all things . I own 3 Stoeger's and all have been as good or better then the more favorable brands. My Condor O/U is alot better then the Mossberg Silver Reserve I had before it . The Upland 20ga is a great gun for Dove , Rabbit , etc. IMO have a great time be safe no matter what brand you choose to shoot . Take care of the tools you use to hunt with and they will last a long time . Perhaps longer then there owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

David Clark wrote:
Let see here. A young man has got a good job making lets say $15.00 an hour witch is a lot of money now days. I think that would be $600.00 a week , God knows what he takes home, and lets say he has a family to feed and rent to pay, and car payments . I would dam well think that a new B gun would be very HIGH END to him. And he doesn't have a clue what a P or K gun is.

drsfmd, There would not be 1 in a 1000 guys that would shoot over 1000 rds a year and you act like every one is going to shoot 10,000 rds a year. You putting these young guys down all the time is getting really old!! I think these guys know that a $500.00 gun is not going to compete with a $2,500 gun but what would you have them do, not shoot at all??? You live in a different world with your K gun but how many K guns do they sell a year.??? I'm glad people buy new cars and new guns, it keeps people working. While your at it I don't know why you don't tell these young guys to all buy used BMW's or such because the rest of the cars are all junk and there going to put a 100,000 miles on them a year, Ya right.
Dave

Well put {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes well put,don't drive people away with too high of expectations for the gun type they need.I shoot at a couple places that you will see high and low end guns.Just get people out shooting,they can always upgrade.As far as the stoeger I have a 20 ga version I have had good luck with and have fun shooting or let new shooters shoot off our trius trap as a learning tool.I have a classic trap 1100 I use mainly and that is a low end gun for some people but it shoots for me and fits my current budget.If you shoot alot you'll spend more in a year on ammo than the gun.LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am 
Utility Grade

Old thread, but I'll add my 2¢ for future readers :)

My first shotgun when learning to shoot trap was a new $500 12ga Stoeger Condor Competition. The features are cool, the price is great, the performance never cause a problem for me. I shot 6 cases of shells before buying my second shotgun, which was a Mossberg 535. Ya gotta own a pump, right?

The 535 weighed about one pound less and because its a single barrel the balance and swing felt much better to me than an O/U. Any O/U, not just the Stoeger. Before long I was shooting the Mossberg 535 only. Also, I think its important to shoot trap with a gun you plan to use for whatever other shotgunning you think you might want to get into. Guns with magazines just give a little more versatility, even if they're not as pretty.

My Stoeger was a great gun. If I were into owning many guns at once I would have kept it without question or concern.