CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinons on Remington Model 48 16 Gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:02 pm 
Field Grade

Just went to the Saxet Gun Show here in San Antonio. One gent had a Remington Model 48 in 16 gauge, plain barrel, Modified choke, in good shape with a price tag of $395, but indicated he was willing to talk turkey to sell the gun.

I'm inclined to believe this is a Sportsman Model 48, as opposed to a 11-48, given the wording engraved on the receiver said "Remington Model 48".

Checked the gun over - all the wood, metal, and blueing were still in good shape.

Any opinions on the gun itself, and what would be a fair bargaining offer to start off with?

Nice feel to the gun, liked the way it came up to my shoulder.

Post subject: Re: Opinons on Remington Model 48 16 Gauge?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

That's all I shoot. A model 11-48 in 16 gauge and one 1n 12 gauge. Nice guns. In fact I have a 11-48 and a sportsman 48 for sale. I'm asking $300.00 a piece which I think is a fair price. That's where I would start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Have one 16 11-48, and two 48 Sporstmans. Other than magazine capacity I can't tell the difference, all mine are plain barrels. Relly think they are a fine semi auto in 16, scaled receiver and all 3 of mine come in at less than 7 lbs. Price is too high for my area, but locality makes a big difference. If you do get it think you really will like it. Oh yes, the barrels interchange on all 3, 1 28" F, 1 28" M and 1 26" IC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

Unfortunately, I had to pass on this one. When I went back and really started looking it over, two main problems jumped out -

One, the forearm wood was badly warped along the barrel - as if it had been left in the damp or out in the weather for a long time - where on one side at the barrel end it would be touching the barrel, on the opposite side at the receiver end there would be over a 1/4" gap, and the whole forearm piece was very loose - you could easily twist it side to side with just finger pressure. Don't know I'd want a poorly fitting wood forearm on a long recoil gun.

Second, when you alternately pointed the barrel up and down, as if going from the carry position to shouldering the gun for a shot, there was a noticeable "clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk" coming from inside the gun - as if something were worn out or broken loose, either inside the action or the recoil mechanism inside the forearm.

At this particualr gunshow, all the sellers had to have the actions tystrapped for safety reasons, but were allowed to temporarily remove them for a customer to check out the action. Gent selling this gun flat-out refused, saying it was too much trouble to run another strap thru it - that all but told me he had something to hide with this gun. And he refused to budge more than $20 off his initial $395 price, even after I pointed out to him the first two items I noticed.

Ah well, if nothing else it has been a learning experience - I now know a good bit more about an excellent 16 gauge candidate for my gun case, know a couple problem areas to look for, and with a little patience one day will find a good one to pick up.