CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .410 pump opinions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:36 pm 
Field Grade

So, I've got the bug to buy a .410 gun, preferably a pump. The gun will be used for a little casual skeet, maybe a little hunting. I would really like to spend less than $500. I looked at a new Wingmaster, it was nice, but salty @ $850. I've been considering a Mossberg 500, but I've never handled a Mossberg at all. Anybody out there have a Mossberg .410? Any issues with them? Does Remington make a .410 in the Express model?

Is the LOP usually the same on a .410 and a 12ga in the same model?
I'm a big guy so the physical size of the gun is important.

Post subject: Re: .410 pump opinions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:28 pm 
Limited Edition

I would look at a BPS. A gentleman at my home club has one in .410. The BPS .410 is built on a 20ga frame, so it does not feel like a toy. All of the dimensions you are concerned with are claimed to be the same as their 12ga models. Buds has one for just a hint over $500. I have always enjoyed shooting the one at my club.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I found an early '80's vintage Mossy 500 a couple years back at a little Mom&Pop gun shop and walked out the door with it for $200. It actually has some really pretty wood and been mistaken for Win. Model 42 from a distance. Had it bored to IC from the full choke. It's my favorite skeet toy. I never walk buy a .410 pump without looking and if I had to buy new the BPS is the only one I'd consider. Cheaper than the Rem. and comes with choke tubes.......no contest..............the Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

My wife has a Mossberg 410. She has had it for about 10 years now and it has been a great little gun. Built on a very small frame.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

Seth B
I have the BPS. it is a great gun! Changeable chokes, the shells eject at your feet for easy pickup.
( reloading a must for the 410. )

Now on the other hand the Mossberg I had two of those in the past. Will never buy one again!
I had one in 410 and 12ga, both broke parts more then once and since i have more then I need,
( shotguns ) none of my guns get over worked.

Find a BPS and enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:33 am 
Field Grade

I decided that the Mossberg would work for me. None of the local gun shops carried any .410's except youth models. I checked at Bass Pro Shops, their Mossbergs were $302 and Dick's was $269. So, i decided I would pick one up next time I stopped by Dicks. Yesterday, I stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up some shells before going to the club, and they had one Mossberg .410 for $227. That was good enough for me, but man, what a hassle.

The associates working in sporting goods was nice enough, and helpful, but they had to get a manager to approve the sale. Now, the manager was nice enough, but he kinda made me feel like I was a terrorist or something. Double checking my paperwork and everything. I really can't put my finger on it, but there was something about his attitude I didn't care for.

Anyway, they only had one box of shells, so I got to shoot 1 round of skeet with the little gun. That thing is a blast! No recoil at all. The only problem I have is getting my banana fingers to push those tiny shells in the magazine.

Now, if I can find a used .410 MEC, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 am 
Diamond Grade

Seth:

Everyone who buys a firearm from WalMart has to go through the "shake down". Myself included. You are not alone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 am 
Field Grade

Yeah, I know everybody goes through it, it's just aggravating.

I've only bought one other gun from WM, but that was like 15 years ago. I remember them telling me then that I couldn't buy ammo and a gun at the same time. Yesterday I bought the 410, a box of shells for it, and 300 12ga rounds at the same time (also Cokes, TP, and heartburn stuff).

Really, the service was better than I expected.

It was somewhat better than dealing with the freaks at Dicks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seth,

I was searching for a BPS for a long time.

I shoot Beretta 686s and Remington 870s, but just can't find cash for the 870. I like the BPS (bottom ejection and choke tubes are a plus)...

I found a Yildiz (used and had it shipped) to me. Yeah, for me, it cost more than a BPS, but it's an O/U with a single trigger and has very nice wood.

Could you go to an Academy store in your state? Maybe this would work for you.

Sorry... just realized that you were only looking for pump opinions.

I like the BPS, the mossy's are nice also.
Enjoy.

Maggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will put up with a fair amount of aggravation for a decent price.

I pray every day for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
Does Remington make a .410 in the Express model?

Yes, they do. It sells for about 450$. I considered getting one for my wife a few weeks back and decided to go for a 20ga instead.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Seth B wrote:
I decided that the Mossberg would work for me. None of the local gun shops carried any .410's except youth models. I checked at Bass Pro Shops, their Mossbergs were $302 and Dick's was $269. So, i decided I would pick one up next time I stopped by Dicks. Yesterday, I stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up some shells before going to the club, and they had one Mossberg .410 for $227. That was good enough for me, but man, what a hassle.

The associates working in sporting goods was nice enough, and helpful, but they had to get a manager to approve the sale. Now, the manager was nice enough, but he kinda made me feel like I was a terrorist or something. Double checking my paperwork and everything. I really can't put my finger on it, but there was something about his attitude I didn't care for.

Anyway, they only had one box of shells, so I got to shoot 1 round of skeet with the little gun. That thing is a blast! No recoil at all. The only problem I have is getting my banana fingers to push those tiny shells in the magazine.

Now, if I can find a used .410 MEC, I'll be happy.

Yep, yes, and yep!

Virtually the same here, right down to the Wal-mart scenario, a few months ago. (I think maybe they got their fingers burned a little bit, what with the help they hire and decided to pull some stores from selling guns, and tighten up on records on the ones that they kept). Would I have preferred a BPS, yep, but $! And finding one of course. Oh well, maybe in a 28 since Mossberg doesn't make a 28.

The biggest reason that I went Moss, is that they have always worked well for me, only one ever broke down and that was easy to fix myself.

Plus a couple of years ago, I bought a 20 gauge 500, (hadn't bought a Mossy in many years), for $100, well used. The gun had two minor problems, apparently still from the factory, both easily smoothed up, one in cycling and the other in the loading gate. After that, it is just as smooth as any pump I have ever handled, and it doesn't need stock reworking like 90 percent of the other off the shelf guns. The damn thing just points better than a lot of high $ guns!

So does the new .410! I have had it recommended that I open up the full choke, but I don't think I will do so.

The only gripe is also the loading of those tiny shells with "my" banana fingers!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:32 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Mossberg 500 .410 that's about 1 year old. It's okay I guess, but after awhile there's a good chance yours will start dropping shells when you cycle it. I had to replace the shell interupter and got the part for free from Mossberg (that's nice at least). I later found out that 2 of my shooting aquaintances had the same problem with the same fix. It's a cheap gun with cheap parts and rough machining, but for the price it's "good enough." They are fun to shoot, good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:37 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

The bitterness of poor quality lasts far longer than the sweetness of low price.

If you are willing to put up with aggravation, great, get a Mossberg or Yildiz, if not buy something else. For me it is Model 42 Winchesters and B. Rizzinis, but to each his own, neither of the purchases put me in the poor house, yet. 25 years ago? Welllll?

BP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

jugchoke wrote:
The biggest reason that I went Moss, is that they have always worked well for me, only one ever broke down and that was easy to fix myself.

There, I said it again!

I have used a number of them down through the years, and tend to think that they are just as tough as any other, any price gun out there. And apparently the US military agrees.

It's just that they may well come from the factory a bit "rough" in places.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

BP, I don't get it??? The Guy starts out saying he wants a 410 and doesn't want to spend over $500.00 and you tell him to get a Win. 42 or a B Rizzini. Junk 42s start at $1500.00 and go up from there and I have no idea what The Rizzini would go fore.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:03 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

David,

Well I didn't pay any $1,500 for my Browning Model 42, and my B. Rizzini was just a nickle shy of a Grand. Others have been suggesting the OP may want to reconsider his requirements suggesting a gun somewhat more than the $500 he had at top end too. I don't think a FieldMaster or a BPS will fit that number either. I suppose a Mossberg will, I wouldn't take one as a gift if I had to keep it and use it. I've had to take several apart at the range for people to get them operational again. They jam, get shells stuck in the action above the elevator, won't feed, it goes on and on! I'm here to tell you they are cheaply built in both materials and construction. They appear to be built to a price point, and they are not all that easy to work on. The bright side of an 870, if you like them or a Model 42. Winchester or Browning is you don't have to work on them, at least not the Model 42. Even the Remington can be easily taken down in the field or at the range and a jam or fail to feed, etc. cleared and be operational quickly.

My suggestion is: Instead of just throwing your money down a rat hole, why not just wait a bit, scrape a few more nuts together in a bag and then get something just a bit better. I bought my current Browning Model 42 a couple years ago in as new, unfired condition, in the box, at a local Gun Show for 7 "C" notes, no tax. Far better investment than any Mossy at any price. Yes I got a heck of a deal on my new, in the box, never been fondled Sig/B.Rizzini O/U too. Point being, if you look arround a bit a good deal on a good gun always shows up. Why get in a hurry and make a poor choice. You can always sell a good gun and get most if not all your money out of it. Maybe even make a buck or two, but a Mossy? You better like it, 'cause it's yours.

BP