CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Estate Shotgun Shells
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:29 am 
Crown Grade

Has anyone had any experience with Estate brand shotgun shells? What say ye?

Post subject: Re: Estate Shotgun Shells
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:08 am 
Presentation Grade

Have seen estate shells on many,many plantation quail hunts...never used personally...have always shot winchester/now Rio.....BUT...have always heard good things about them...would not hesitste using them for quail in a sxs or o/u :mrgreen: {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just Federal loads, same exactly as the Federal with the paper base wad hull, only difference is the color of the plastic.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've shot a truckload of them. They work just fine.

I would not advocate reloading these. Some folks do, but it's a aper basewad, and that just seems risky to me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep, reloading them is a bit risky, as is any two piece, (plastic), hull. Those with separate base wads. They are only crimped in and any of them can come apart, letting the base wad move forwards, some times not stopping until they are out in the barrel bore. That is a bad deal!

I personally lost a barrel to one of the Federals, being loaded too many times, that paper wad deteriorating more on each firing. (But some are poorly crimped, right from the "get-go"! Crimping is just a very poor, and cheap, construction technique.)

I still reload them, but once maximum and haven't had any more problems. The trick is to mark them at first reloading and never get those mixed in with those to be reloaded the first time.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I will not bother with the steel base 12ga. Fed/Estate hulls, but those 28ga. Estates have a real brass base. Just remember to check that base-wad with a lamp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Shot many a case of the 12 gauge Heavy Game Load #8. I don't reload shotshells, so I am a one time user of the hull (therefore construction is no issue for me), and the price is right for the performance level of the shell.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Old Hunter wrote:
Shot many a case of the 12 gauge Heavy Game Load #8. I don't reload shotshells, so I am a one time user of the hull (therefore construction is no issue for me), and the price is right for the performance level of the shell.

Well we hope so anyway, don't we?

Haven't heard of it on the Federals, although I did find some virtually loose after only the factory firing.

But there have certainly been instances of both Rio and Winchester, (especially the latter's waterfowl loads), that so failed on the very first use from the factory. Next shot ruined a barrel.

Crimping as pertains to base wads, (and most everything else as well), is just not that great of a manufacturing technique.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 am 
Presentation Grade

jugchoke wrote:
Old Hunter wrote:

Well we hope so anyway, don't we?

You are certainly right about that. It is reasonable to have an expectation that a "Made in USA" product, mfg by a respected manufacturer in accordance with SAAMI specifications is safe to use. When it doesn't work that way anymore we have a sizeable problem.

I am down to about a third of a case of 12 gauge, 3" Winchester Super X steel BB's that I bought maybe 15-18 years ago for goose hunting - the ammo has been stored inside (never wet) and was used as recently as this past January. Are you indicating that there could be an issue with it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Old Hunter wrote:
I am down to about a third of a case of 12 gauge, 3" Winchester Super X steel BB's that I bought maybe 15-18 years ago for goose hunting - the ammo has been stored inside (never wet) and was used as recently as this past January. Are you indicating that there could be an issue with it?

No, I think that pre-dates the problems folks seem to be having just lately with Win ammo. There were two new auto loading Win guns, using freshly bought Win Waterfowl loads, that blew barrels this past season, apparently identical damage, (consistent with an obstruction close in front of the gas ports), as reported on here. (Too bad no one ever seems to be able to retrieve and inspect, the previously fired shell!)

Be aware that Win guns, (now made in Belgium), and Win ammo are two completely different companies today. (The Belgium factory is part of the Herstal group, same plant as the auto loading Browning shotguns of today.)

But you might want to check, say a couple of shells from boxes, maybe stored on the bottom for rusty shot, depending on the humidity where they are stored.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 pm 
Crown Grade

It has been rumored that Win. has or is using foreign made hulls in some of their ammo. I have no personal knowledge if this is true. Yes, one piece hulls are generally better hulls & Jugchoke is right as usual, any two piece hull can come apart. I never, or at least very seldom buy loads in two piece hulls. Seems like every time I make a statement I think of an exception. I do reload many two piece hulls. It is hard to find one piece 10 ga. hulls. Anyway, I think we had this discussion before. Unfortunately, in many types of reloading, you are stuck with two piece hulls so it is use them or don't reload! I personally think it is o.k. to reload them but at the same time, I believe it is prudent to heed Jugchokes warning & be careful! That means limiting the number of times you reload certain hulls, inspect all hulls before reloading & be alert to any signs of loose basewads.
Sorry for straying from the topic. I seldom use anything but reloads & have never used them. Many people in this area do shoot them & I haven't heard any complaints. The hulls are not STS quality but they seem to be as good as any other hull of the same type.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:20 pm 
Diamond Grade

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=230545

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Ive used them at the skeet range, never any problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Clem Snide wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with Estate brand shotgun shells? What say ye?

Limited, when I shot up all the reloads I had and needed cheap shells for clay targets. :? They cycled fine in an 11-87, dusted birds and I never had a misfire. I would use them on doves if I needed to but would prefer my reloads. Would not bother to reload the hulls. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I've never shot them in the field but I have used them shooting sporting clays and they seem fine with that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Just patterned 20 ga Estate 3'' Steel #3 VS Hevi-Metal 3''#3's

For the Money they seam to be a real good load Hevi metal was slightly better but 4.00 A box more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 am 
Utility Grade

I have installed hundreds of paper-based shells 3-4 you will get out of them.The overload is the best double-A, the most number of Remington or Federal also good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am 
Field Grade

Been Quail hunting with the the Estate upland heavy loads and high velocity 7 1/2 and 6's for the last four years in both 20 ga and 12 ga. I have not had any miss fires or ejection problems. They go boom every time. The price is certainly right, about $6.25 for heavy's and under $10 for High Velocity's (Sportsmans Warehouse). Pattern shot my 12 ga recently and although the spred was even I wasn't pleased with the holes in the pattern. This could be due to the factory choke. I intend to buy a Carlson choke and pattern shoot it again to see if the holes closeup.

Last edited by NailAQuail on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have just started shooting them this year i shoot them from a 11-87 12 ga and i have had no problems with them they have worked well for me and i am a one time user i dont reload. so far so good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot some pheasants last weekend with some 1 1/4 oz heavy game loads in 6 shot. The cycled fine in my Franchi 48, but I did not bother to pick up the empty hulls like I do AAs and Remingtons.