CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goose calls....flute or short reed?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been experimenting with goose calls and have decided that I want a flute style call for Canadas. I purchased a Big River Long Honker flute call. I tried some short reeds and had a hard time with them. I tried the Haydels Magnum Honker and it was OK, but I didn't like the tones so much. I couldn't get the Knight and Halt Pit Boss to break consistently. I am a beginner goose caller, but a pretty good duck caller, and the flutes seemed to appeal to me more.

Where I hunt is a large tidal pond surrounded by hills and levees. My biggest concern is avoiding echo from the call. However, flocks are sometimes very far off and a loud greeting will get their attention. The range available in the Big River seemed to suit my situation, but I have yet to actually try it on geese.

What do you goose hunters use and why? I originally wanted the Sean Mann Shorty Express, but in addition to not having the funds for it, I tried my friends and it seemed to be only loud. I couldn't seem to coax low tones out of it.

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions and good hunting to all.

bux-n-dux

1984 1100 Magnum
1972 JC Higgins Model 20

Post subject: Re: Goose calls....flute or short reed?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Try this site. www.djcalls.com They are producing the old Olt calls. The goose calls can be blowned loud for long range attention getters and soft when they get in close. I like the sound of a wooden call much better than a poly or plastic call. They are moderately priced and will last a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree with what Sparkie said on the Wooden Olts.

Being new to Goose calling I've tried a number of calls and for 20.00 I think the Buck Gardner Honker Hammer is the best call for the money out there . Add another 5.00 and get an insturcinal CD and a hunting vidieo .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer the short reed over the flute but whatever you can make sound good is all that matters.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am dating myself here, but I learned to call on a goose flute...back when. Once in awhile, I still bring out a flute call on a hunt.
I also have and enjoy some of the wooden Olt calls too..great sound.

Nowadays, my calling (hunting) is mostly done with acrylic short reeds because of the variety of sounds, volume, weather resistance, and durability of these calls. If you just buy one call...buy an acrylic short reed and put a little time in on it. There is a reason these calls are quite popular.
Like Chaco alludes to, the trick is to find a call that works for YOU. Try as many out as you can. Heck, buy a few different types and you will probably end up keeping a couple! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:04 am 
Diamond Grade

sparkie wrote:
Try this site. http://www.djcalls.com They are producing the old Olt calls. The goose calls can be blowned loud for long range attention getters and soft when they get in close. I like the sound of a wooden call much better than a poly or plastic call. They are moderately priced and will last a long time.

I can't second that enough. One of the best calls ever made IMO and I have shot a train car full of geese in my day. Easy to learn, easy to blow, sounds great and won't cost you a right arm, first born and left nut. I have a $150.00 Zink and it sits in my call bag unused. Very tough to master but I can get the job done..but why when the OLT works so well. I use the #800.

http://www.djcalls.com/jzcart/showitem.php?id=4296

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 am 
Crown Grade

My favorite goose call is still the old Olt A50.
Flutes are easier to learn to blow, and can perform 90% of what a short-reed can do.
SR's take longer to master, but can do it all.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 pm 
Global Moderator

A short reed call is much more of a musical instrument and does take practice to get good at using it, hands down those things can make all sorts of goose notes in the right hands. I have the privilege of being able to pick the brains of several great callers from the Chesapeake Bay area, it's an amazing thing to sit in the blind and hear them work the birds.

Back pressure, hand position, breath control, and stamina are much more important with a short reed. It takes lots of practice.

A flute will work and get the job done in many cases but takes a whole different way to blow than a short reed.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Short reed for me. I have had a couple flutes but once I learned to blow a short reed, the flute left the house. Too easy to overblow and seemed too limited. I'd recommend getting your hands on HonkerTalk to learn how to blow one. The best, easiest and best value short reeds that I've found are delrin or acrylic Winglocks or Hayes (same call guts). My main call is a Hayes acrylic that costs 1/2 of a bigger name and is easier to blow. As was said earlier, back pressure, breath control and a bit of practice in the truck on the way to and from work. Although it's easier to blow 2-handed. :)

Sean