CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tapered Vs. Straight Hulls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi guys this is my first actual post but I am Skytex's wife and had a question that he couldn't answer. So he told me to post about it on my own account. I have been reading posts right along with him up until now and have helped him reload our shells. Anyway, my question is how can you tell the difference between a tapered and a straight hull just by looking at it? Since we just got the Federals with the paper base wad I became curious and cut open one of the Federals and one of the Remington STS that we had and saw no noticeable difference. Am i just missing something here or is there another way of telling the difference?

Post subject: Re: Tapered Vs. Straight Hulls
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Keep cutting those hulls open that is the easiest way to know. There are other ways of measuring them, but they are a waste of time. Seeing with your own eyes is the best way.

You will get to know by looking down inside them after awhile. For now cut 'em open.

When you look inside a straight wall hull there is a seam around the inside of the hull where the outer tube meets the basewad, The basewad is the bottom of the hull, in the center is the primer pocket.

A tapered wall hull has no seam because the outer tube and the basewad are one piece of plastic.

Straight wall hulls are really called "reifenhauser design" hulls and made of 3 pieces. The basewad, the outer tube and the metal head that holds it all together.

Winchester has gone and made a hull called the "High Strength" that has a basewad that makes the hull "act" like a tapered wall hull, kinda sorta. But it's construction is a reifenhauser or straight wall hull.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 pm 

TxSweetheart wrote:
Hi guys this is my first actual post but I am Skytex's wife and had a question that he couldn't answer. So he told me to post about it on my own account. I have been reading posts right along with him up until now and have helped him reload our shells. Anyway, my question is how can you tell the difference between a tapered and a straight hull just by looking at it? Since we just got the Federals with the paper base wad I became curious and cut open one of the Federals and one of the Remington STS that we had and saw no noticeable difference. Am i just missing something here or is there another way of telling the difference?

I will tell you that one way or the other, all 12 gauge WW and Remington hulls generally found on clays ranges are tapered internally. The newer AA hulls do it with an insert. This also applies to the 20 and not to the WWAA-HS 28 and 410. Most everything else is a straight wall hull to the bottom. Except The B&P Gordon system, which is a whole different tater.
Now, when you cut the hulls, did you cut through the metal to the bottom? If not you might not discern the tapered part.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Lyman's 5th has a section that shows fairly good color pictures of the cross section of most of the popular hulls. They try very hard to show the difference between tapered and straight wall hulls. Unfortunately in the printing process the difference does not show up real clearly. My best recommendation is to cut up some hulls. Stand the hull up on the head and slice down through the plastic with a short blade utility knife. Use some care, the plastic is pretty tough. Move over about half an inch and slice down again. Both cuts can end when the knife gets down to the metal head. Bend the half inch wide strip from between the cuts out away for the hull. Right at the very end (on most hulls) at the crimp end the plastic will thin out. This is called skiving and helps make it easier to get good crimp. On the Federal, once you get more than 1/2 inch from the crimp end (past the skiving) the plastic will be exactly the same thickness all the way down to the metal head. On any Remington hull (Gun Club, STS, NItro, etc) you will notice that as you get down close to the metal, the plastic starts to thicken up. On a modern WW AA (AAHS) you will find that the wall thickness is the same all the way down but the base wad has very high tapered edges that when combined with the wall has the same internal geometry as the Remington hull. If you cut an old AA hull and find no separate base wad then you wil find the same taper on the wall as on the Remington.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for answerin that. I haven't had any expierence with the federals untill afew days ago so I had no idea. I'd heard the term before, but I don't like explaining things in just words and thus don't teach with just words. I'm helping her learn to reload the shells as ATM only my single stage press is operational, and she's of a sudden found a great interest in skeet. I loaded 5 boxes and was tired. She's loading the last one to finish out our stockpile. (secretly, i'm hoping she gets so disgusted with the jr that she lets me go buy a new 9000 :D). Anyways, hopefully tomorrow i'll get to fire the 3 test shells I loaded in the cheap federal hulls. I'm tempted to just trash them but I kinda picked up about a flat worth before knowing they were any good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:26 am 
Presentation Grade

As long as they haven't gotten wet then they are good. Some on here use them as their "one and done" hull, letting their autoloaders pitch them. There is research that says they will hold up for 3 or more loadings. They do require different wads than Remingtons and AA HS and usually a heavier powder charge. Carefully examine the rolled paper basewad. If it looks rough, uneven or swelled then trash that hull. Its dangerous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:30 am 
Diamond Grade

'

Last edited by jtclays on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Jtclays, YOU DA MAN! Wow, your Reply / this post has GOT to be stickied! Thanks for an awesome contribution!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:36 am 
Field Grade

Jtclays-excellent post!
That will help answer a lot of newcomer questions. A picture is worth a thousand words and you spoke volumes!

Well done indeed!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 am 
Limited Edition

Base wads in the 3 different straight hulled Winchesters look suspisiously the same don't they. Probably saving $$ again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

Using a common basewad for their AAs, Super-Targets and Universals mean they can use the same wads for all of them. Probably the same loading machines as well. I just wish folks who post photos in SGW would learn how to edit them to load faster. I had to wait over 30 minutes just to see the pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skytex wrote:
secretly, i'm hoping she gets so disgusted with the jr that she lets me go buy a new 9000 :D

Shhhh! You're supposed to play it close to the vest when trying to maneuver a deal like that!

Thanks for trhe pics and the information.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great post again jt ---- Thanks to all you regulars, ya'll shooow make it a lot easier!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great Pics JT!
Regards, Pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Cutting does answer but easy just get Rem or Win shells per Curly. Don't find hulls laying around buy Rem Sport, Gun Club... deduct 4 or 5 cents per shell from the Wallmart price and you have excellent hulls and inexpensive factory loads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Doorknob wrote:
I just wish folks who post photos in SGW would learn how to edit them to load faster. I had to wait over 30 minutes just to see the pictures.

Here ya go:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

This is why I spend so much time on forums! Good information from knowlegable members who have already been down the road I'm about to travel, this saves me time and money! A big "Thanks" from the land of OZ!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you JTCLAYS.... I learned something today....

Mergus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:26 pm 
Limited Edition

jtclays wrote:

Here's side by side pics of popular tapered hulls compared to popular straight wall hulls.

Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 am 
Crown Grade

Nice show JT, - the "here ya go" post was priceless (resized photo).

MM3