CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ID this Stevens 410 single shot shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Via inheritance I've acquired a Stevens 410 shotgun with no model,date, etc on it.
It is stamped "J Stevens Arms Company". It is single shot with external hammer & break open breech. Inside the left breech housing is stamped "20765D" which I guess is a serial #. The barrel is 26". I would love to know the model #, approximate age and get any available literature/doc on it which is probably just wishful thinking. I'm scared to shoot it until I know more about it and it's age. I'll be glad to attach pics if that would help someone. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: ID this Stevens 410 single shot shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Prior to WW-I the company name was J. Stevens Arms & Tool Company. After WW-I the company name was J. Stevens Arms Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Savage Arms Corp. J. Stevens Arms Co. was used up to and possibly a bit after WW-II. They made a number of different hammer single barrels. They made .410-botrd on a tiny frame like this --

and on a regular sized frame like this --

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply & info. So, the gun is bwtn 65 - 90 yrs old. I guess the serial # is of no help. Any reason why I couldn't shoot a modern shell with it - assuming it looks to be in working condition and barrel is clean etc?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:24 pm 
Crown Grade

No one can tell you over the internet what gun is safe with what ammunition. Only a qualified gunsmith with the gun in hand can tell you that. The 3-inch .410-bore shell wasn't introduced until about 1932 or 3, so guns made earlier would have been chambered for the 2 1/2 inch shell. Also in those days the 2 1/2 inch shell carried a load of 3/8 ounce of shot as opposed to the 1/2 ounce they've had since about 1934.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more about the possible higher pressures of newer shells vs earlier ones and the capacity of the gun to handle them - not really about the condition of this specific gun. I know that with handguns there are higher pressure rounds that only newer guns can safely handle. Didn't know if that was also the case with shotguns or not. At least this has a forged rather than a damascus steel barrel. I measured the interior barrel to where it widens out & it's 3" so it takes a 3" shell I think so at least I know what shells to buy. So, it looks like I have a post 1932 gun - maybe a 107 moel based on what was posted above. It looks to have automatic shell ejection. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:12 am 
Limited Edition

Just because an unfired 3" shell will fit into the chamber does not mean that your gun has a 3" chamber. The chamber must allow for the crimp to open when the shell is fired. Fired shells are (typically) longer than unfired shells

Have someone measure your gun's chamber with a proper gauge before you fire it. For your own safety.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:28 am 
Crown Grade

SAAMI pressure specs for shotgun ammunition in North America have been in place since the mid 1920s. The catalogue pages I posted above were from 1919 for the 105/107 and 1928 for the 106/108. I find J. Stevens lists their .410-bores chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells through their 1933 catalogue --

The next J. Stevens paper I have is 1937 and by then they are chambering the .410-bores for 3-inch shells --

I wouldn't doubt they were chambering their .410-bores for 3-inch shells by 1934, but I don't have proof.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:00 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the good information & especially the historical Stevens brand knowledge & refs.
I measured my barrel to where the taper, or forcing cone begins & it is 3". Allowing room for the crimp expansion, it seems I'm chambered for 3" shells since I understand that the shell length designation is after firing. Anything wrong with my thinking here?

I'll follow the recommendations and take it to a gunsmith if necessary but I don't have one very close to me and this seems pretty basic to be able to figure out. Thanks.