CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snap caps stuck in Mossberg 500 magazine!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 (#51482), and very quickly proceeded to get myself into bad situation - I'm hoping someone here can help!

I was using 2 Pachmayr snap caps to practice loading the gun with, and they've managed to get stuck in the magazine... or at least I think they're stuck. I've tried cycling the action many times, and they do not get loaded into the chamber or ejected. I also tried following the instructions in the manual to depress the "cartridge stop" along the right side of the receiver but this didn't help either.

I'm assuming there's a spring in the magazine which should force the shells out as soon as the cartridge stop lever is pushed in. So do I have a bad magazine/magazine spring? Is there a way to disassemble the magazine to remove the snap caps and then inspect the internal components? The manual didn't seem to mention anything about disassembling the magazine itself.

Hopefully that explanation was clear. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Snap caps stuck in Mossberg 500 magazine!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

To open the mag. tube on a Mossberg 500 you need to remove the barrel, heat the area where the tube screws into the receiver with a heat gun, or very carefully with a small propane torch,and unscrew it by wrapping it with leather or rubber out on the end and very carefully use a pliers to unscrew it. After this is done clean the threads, lube them, and you will be able to unscrew it by hand for the rest of your life-that's about how long these guns last. Why they put loctite on the threads in the first place eludes me. It will not unscrew by itself under use. I do this to every 500 I buy-over 20 in the last couple years-to clean the mag. tube and get the gun ready for the next owner. {hs#

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Can you feel them at the receiver end of the magazine tube, or are they stuck further in? Are they stuck tight or rattling around?

Try removing the barrel, and using a thin rod through the barrel screw hole to push them down toward the receiver.

Yes, there should be a spring and a spring follower in the magazine tube to push the shells out. If it is a new gun, there may also be a dowel in the tube to limit the capacity for migratory bird hunting.

The owners manual has an exploded diagram that shows the spring.
http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

Another disassembly guide:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=423402

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 am 
Diamond Grade

The lever on the right side (gun upright facing away from you) is not the cartridge stop but is the cartridge interupter that allows only one to be released at a time. That lever only moves up and down, Not in and out. That lever could be stuck in the upright position. The interupter should be against the bottom edge of the receiver when in the parked (free to feed next shell) position. With the interupter in park and the shell stop lever on the other side of the receiver pushed in the snap cap should fall out with gravity pressure even without a magazine spring. If they are stuck in the tube for some reason after the berrel is removed a small dowel rod down the barrel bolt hole can be used to help them come out.
I don't think you need to remove the magazine tube to get them out, They are loctited like Neanderthal said and can be a real pain to get off the first time. The receiver is slightly smaller than the magazine tube in order to hold the mag. tube spring follower in the tube, as long as the snap caps are the right gauge for the gun they should come back out of the same hole they went in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:56 pm 
Field Grade

All,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up just bringing it into the store I bought it at earlier this week. They were able to get the snap caps out. Their advice was not to use them in a magazine fed shotgun due to the rough plastic edges. Looking at them closer, there were a few rough spots to them so I guess they were just getting caught in the magazine. It feeds live shells fine, so problem solved. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

AZBrewDude wrote:
All,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up just bringing it into the store I bought it at earlier this week. They were able to get the snap caps out. Their advice was not to use them in a magazine fed shotgun due to the rough plastic edges. Looking at them closer, there were a few rough spots to them so I guess they were just getting caught in the magazine. It feeds live shells fine, so problem solved. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:50 pm 
Crown Grade

AZBrewDude wrote:
All,

:idea: Are they plastic snap caps?
If so then trash them and get all metal ones........................ I'll bet you won't have trouble then? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:20 am 
Diamond Grade

I have some real 'horror' stories to tell about problems caused by inferior dummy round / snap caps. The plastic rimmed ones eventually get stuck under extractors or, well, your OP pretty much sums it all up. There is GOOD news!

S. T. Action Trainer Dummy Rounds are the best I've found and I've tried a LOT over the years: http://www.stactionpro.com/

12ga Action Trainer: http://www.stactionpro.com/12-gauge-act ... r-p-8.html

I squirt some valve gasket compound or hot melt glue into the primer orifice, let it dry and then slice the excess off (leaving a bit of 'proud' material to absorb dry-fires). They last forever!

(I'm still after 'em to start up with 7.62x39's, for indigenous weapons training but, so far . . . nada . . . :-(

Best o' success!