CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Benelli M4 vs Mossberg 930SPX
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

KLR wrote:
Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Sure it's better than a 930SPX...I probably haven't run more than a thousand rounds through my SPX, and with the exception of some Fiocchi rounds during break-in, it's been 100% reliable.

So why is the M4 better?

KLR

How is a Ferrari better than a Corvette?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:

Aside from glaring differences in design, the differences in quality show when you get up close, or when you drive them. Again, the question is whether the price difference is "worth it." For a middle class guy, the Corvette is as good. For someone with a lot of money to spend on toys, only the Ferrari will do.

The designers at Mossberg obviously had their eyes on the M4 when they were drawing up the 930 SPX:

Mossberg 930 SPX

Benelli M4

Aside from the Mossberg's shorter receive (and thus the shorter rail), the pistol grip stock (an aftermarket for the Mossberg could be had) and the Benelli's funky-looking magazine tube, they look remarkably similar. Up close, though, you'll see a slightly finer fit and finish on the Benelli.

Again, though, is it worth the extra $$$? That's the question only the OP can answer.

(Edited because I can't get the links to the photos to work)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

KLR wrote:
Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Sure it's better than a 930SPX...I probably haven't run more than a thousand rounds through my SPX, and with the exception of some Fiocchi rounds during break-in, it's been 100% reliable.

So why is the M4 better?

KLR

I used the 1014 in Iraq to kill bad guys. Ive never shot the 930 but Ive handled it and it doesnt feel as solid. Like I said before, if I buy a semi Ill probably get the mossy because of price. It is a good shotty but a benelli it is not.

Look at the reviews. About half of 930 owners have major issues.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ryanUSMC wrote:
That's not true... aside from the "crooked" front sites, and issues with the Choate mag extensions there have been very few problems with the 930's, and if you take the SPX out of the problems, the 930 is an incredibly reliable shotgun...

That's why I generally recommend the "Security / Field" model instead of the SPX, it's more verstile and less expensive...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:07 pm 
Utility Grade

If you're just wanting to have and shoot a tacti-cool gun, then sure, save the $ get a Mossberg. Live with all, if any malfunctions that come along the way.

If you need this for work purposes, L.E., Security, bring along for bears-n-such, then look at no other than the 'Nelli M4.

Be smart about the accessories you install so that they have purpose vs. "glam" and you'll have one of the finest instruments of death ever created. I have about 1500 rounds through mine since May, and the only issues were Estate 2.75" in the first 125 rounds fired during "break-in." Since then it has digested anything and everything I've feed through it except the orange dummy rounds I use for training and a few Less-Lethal rounds I decided to try for grins-n-giggles.

The M4 simply rocks! PERIOD!

As for the Corvette or a Ferrari? I'll take the McLaren Mercedes. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

AlFahrn wrote:
Quote:

Aside from glaring differences in design, the differences in quality show when you get up close, or when you drive them. Again, the question is whether the price difference is "worth it." For a middle class guy, the Corvette is as good. For someone with a lot of money to spend on toys, only the Ferrari will do.

The designers at Mossberg obviously had their eyes on the M4 when they were drawing up the 930 SPX:
(you just needed to View Image, and then put the img /img tags around it)

Aside from the Mossberg's shorter receive (and thus the shorter rail), the pistol grip stock (an aftermarket for the Mossberg could be had) and the Benelli's funky-looking magazine tube, they look remarkably similar. Up close, though, you'll see a slightly finer fit and finish on the Benelli.

Again, though, is it worth the extra $$$? That's the question only the OP can answer.

(Edited because I can't get the links to the photos to work)

You sir, I believe understood the point of my "better" post. {hs#
And as an aside, I looked at and priced both. I'll bet you know which one rests in my car's rack.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Seriously. Do I even need to say a word? :D

-Old Gunslinger Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Reverend Db wrote:
Seriously. Do I even need to say a word? :D

Um, I think you just said nine. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Smitty in CT wrote:
ryanUSMC wrote:
That's not true... aside from the "crooked" front sites, and issues with the Choate mag extensions there have been very few problems with the 930's, and if you take the SPX out of the problems, the 930 is an incredibly reliable shotgun...

That's why I generally recommend the "Security / Field" model instead of the SPX, it's more verstile and less expensive...

Ive heard of more then a few reliabilty issues with the SPX... Isnt what this thread is about? The SPX model. Ive also read about stripped threads in the reciever, loose forarms,front sights of verying hights PLUS being crooked. It seems theyve been worked out but they DID exist. They also seem to be a bit lighter, less solid then the benelli. But its a third of the price and not enough to bother me.

BTW, not very often I see Moodus as a location. I lived there for a year with my sister who still lives in town.

Have they opened up knuckleheads again? And I tell you what the Grist Mill is the only place in southern new england ive found that carries scrapple.