CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need to extend a mossberg 930 stock
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all,

I just got a new mossberg 930 field/security combo. I took it up to the range today to shoot some trap and found that the stock is about an inch (or maybe an inch and a half) too short for me. The stock is one of these hollow plastic jobs, so the guy at the gun club who usually modifies stocks was not sure what to do with it. I have done a bunch of googling, and find a bunch of stuff on shorting the 930 stock, but nothing on lengthening it. Can anyone give me some advice or at least point me in the right direction?

thanks so much!

here is a link to the model if that helps:

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg ... /85325.jpg
its model number 8325

Post subject: Re: Need to extend a mossberg 930 stock
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Remington 1100 syn. stock that is hollow. I fitted a 1/2" piece of hardwood inside the stock and acraglased it flush with the end of the stock, then screwed a 1" pad to it and ground to fit. Has worked for several years.
Be sure to drill a hole in the piece of hardwood for stock removal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An inch is a lot to lengthen a stock. How did you conclude that your stock needs the extra length?

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:41 am 
Utility Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
An inch is a lot to lengthen a stock. How did you conclude that your stock needs the extra length?

Fair question. The rangemaster was looking at me shoot and pointed out that my nose is basically touching my right thumb when I shoot. Apparently there is supposed to be some space there. He suggested I might need an extra 1.5 inches and brought over the old guy who works on stocks and he thought I needed more like an extra inch, but wasnt sure what to do with the hollow mosberg stock. He suggested that I try online and see if mossberg made some sort of spacer to lengthen the stock.

The rangemaster had me try one of his guns with a 15 inch lop, and it felt a lot better (I broke a lot more birds too, but that probably has as much to do with gun quality as the sizing).

Anyway, I was really hoping that there was some sort of spacer system I could buy for this, it must be a somewhat common problem, as I'm not outrageously tall (6'2"). Three feathers, thanks for your story about making your own spacer, I was hoping there was a simpler solution, as I'm not much of a woodworker.

thanks again for any advice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

fraterpotens,

If you are shooting your gun like a rifle, you shoot with your shoulders more in line with where you are pointing the gun. A shotgun stance (position of the feet) with your body rotated 45-degrees or less in the direction of your gun-mount side (clockwise for a right-handed shooter) is preferable.

A rifle-like stance (foot position) requires a longer stock.

If you are mounting your gun with the top of the recoil pad (the heel) below your collarbone, you will need a longer stock. The reason is that to put your cheek on a lower comb (top surface of the stock that makes contact with your cheek), your neck has tilt forward, which requires a longer stock. Your stock length will seem to increase if you mount your gun with about an inch of the recoil pad or butt extending above your collarbone.

With little or no space between your nose and the second knuckle of your trigger-hand thumb, my estimate would be that a half-inch of additional length would result in a thumb/nose separation of 1.5+ inches, which is about right. There is a 4/1 ratio with the affect of LOP and nose/thumb separation.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 am 
Utility Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
With little or no space between your nose and the second knuckle of your trigger-hand thumb, my estimate would be that a half-inch of additional length would result in a thumb/nose separation of 1.5+ inches, which is about right. There is a 4/1 ratio with the affect of LOP and nose/thumb separation.

thanks so much for the advice Rollin. I think you are correct that I am taking too much of a rifle-like stance, but my guess (as you suggest) is that I still need 1/2 inch or so.

I found that choate makes some 1/2 inch spacers for the 500 which would let me try out a 1/2 inch increase:

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_p ... wProduct=0

Does anyone have experience with the mossberg 500 and 930 stocks? Would spacers sized and drilled for the 500 fit the 930?

again, thanks everyone for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why don't you just contact and ask them?

https://secure.riflestock.com/Contact_Us.cfm

Tom Knapp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Herb S. wrote:
Why don't you just contact and ask them?

I contacted them thorough that form a few days ago and got no reply, but the webmaster wrote me today and said the spacers would fit the 930. They make a 1/4 inch spacer part # 18-05-03, 1/2 inch part # 18-05-05 and 3/4 inch part # 18-05-07.

I'll post a follow up if they don't fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, there you go. :)

Tom Knapp.