CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help wanted-DIY repair to a shotgun stock with a small gouge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:05 am 
Field Grade

Hi
I just bought my first gun-a second hand Laurona O/U shotgun. It's a great looking gun and feels good, and got it at a great price. The reason for the price is that it has a 1/2cm wide, 1/4cm deep gouge in the wooden stock. I can live with it but would like to give it a go at a DIY repair.
Its only going to be used for vermin control so the repair doesnt need to be 'invisible', but I would like to make the repair look as good as I can?
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Help wanted-DIY repair to a shotgun stock with a small g
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:22 pm 
Limited Edition

sean,
Epoxy is your best bet, I don't recommend the 5 minute stuff, but that'll work. What you need is pigments to make up a paste with, any inert finely ground powder will do, the stuff used for concrete is perfect. Obviously you need browns with probably a bit of red. Overfill, use a sanding block and fine paper to level off. Talc works and is a common ingredient in auto body polyester based "bog", though it is a bit hard, a standard filler used in boatbuilding is pecan flour. Color matching is tricky, but can be done, a tad darker is better than a touch to light.
Cheers,
R*2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 pm 
Crown Grade

You don't say how long it is or if it's shallow. I would first try to steam it out as much as possible. This will work best if the wood fibers aren't torn. Soak it, put a damp cloth over it and use an iron. Try it several times.

I have never done this but I've been told that deep gouges often respond to glycerin instead of water when you try to steam them out.

You may be able to get it to where you don't want to bother filling it - whatever you use for filler will not age the same as the surrounding wood and eventually will be prominent.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm 
Field Grade

Its almost like a 1/2cm wide round hole and 1/4" deep. Wood is missing so steaming is not an option.
Epoxy resin sounds the best bet, but sanding it down so its flush with the stock may be tricky as I dont want to damage the surrounding area too much by sanding.
I'll give it ago and try masking tape around the hole.
Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can "inlay" a piece of walnut to fill the gouge , this will take some prep and effort. You can also use a shellac stick to fill a gouge. Try Brownells part #080-528-521AD or-522AD.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:04 pm 
Limited Edition

sean,
I'm afraid that to get it flush, you will have to cut in to the finish. Get some wet and dry paper and use mineral turps, oil paint thinner, as the lubricant. Start with with 180 or 220 grit and work down to 400. Minwax makes a good wiping polyurethane that you apply with a small piece of rag. With the 400 cut back the finish on the stock all over to get a good key. Sounds radical, but it's the only way you'll really get the repair to blend in. And if it's seen a bit of service, it could use the refresh of the finish. I'm not saying strip it, or sand off all the finish, just a light cut and a couple of thin coats and you'll be happy. A quart will cost ya' $12 or so, and do half a dozen stocks.
http://www.minwax.com/products/interior ... _poly.html
Cheers,
R*2