CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 12 slide release
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:02 am 
Limited Edition

I have two model 12's. One is a skeet gun that has been shot a gillian times. When the trigger is pulled, the forearm will automatically release (without recoil) on it's own. This results in a very fluid feel when shooting, as if you don't even have to think about pumping the gun.

The second gun is a "y" model, about 1972 vintage that has not been shot much. When the trigger is pulled on this one, it takes a lot of forward pressure to get the forearm to release. When shooting this gun, you have to "push" the forearm forward to get it to release. Recoil does not seem to be enough to make it release on it's own.

My question: is it possible to work on this release to get it to release without the aid of recoil? Will this have anything to do with the "lock-up" of the bolt when moving the forearm forward? The first gun I mentioned (the skeet one) will actually release by itself when pointed up but doesn't seem to be affected with the bolt lock up. Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Bill

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 12 slide release
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:23 pm 
Crown Grade

The 12Y will probably also wear enough to improperly release, once it been operated as much as the skeet gun has..............................

I know, from your POV, the 12Y is problematic, but IMHO that's not the case.
The skeet gun needs attention, not the 12Y - because, AFAIK, it's not normal for M12 to unlock when simply pointed vertically.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Crisco, thanks for the input. Interesting that the skeet gun has done this for years! What I am trying to figure out is, is it a problem? When the slide is moved forward to lock the bolt, it does so very well. What I mean is that it locks up ok. It does not release until a shell is fired. Then it moves to the rear. I'm just looking for input from someone that has had this same experience. Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, Bill, for this thread and your question because thats how I found this board because of my search for an answer to a function problem with my 1948 vintage m12
It is 16 ga and I acquired it from my father. He used it for years and when I started dove hunting again 4 years ago after a 20 year lapse of shooting and reloading activities, ( my, how life totally interfears with the things that are REALLY important !) I noticed the problem with the bolt release... that you complain with your newer gun..
I doubt, although can't verify that my m12 did this before. (Dad got me a m1200 in 1965 which I loved for years) but I had shot his and the release was always smooth..
Now, I have to push the slide FORWARD after the shot to release the bolt....If you can imagine, how counterintuitive and disruptive to my shooting that is!
I hope its just an adjustment that needs to be made in the lockup mechanism and I would gladly attempt it but I dont have a clue where to start.
So I need an answer too.
If I find one, I will post here,
Please do the same.... With almost 2 million m12's out there, someone has the answer!
Thanks, Gary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

In a normally operating M12, if the gun is dry fired it should be necessary to push the forend forward, and then pump the gun. When fired with a shell, the hand holding the forend provides the necessary inertia to unlock the action, and allowed the gun to be pumped without any additional motion. When the gun recoils the hand/forend tends to remain stationary. This is where Winchester got the name "inertia lock".

If a M12 does not operate as described above, it may just need a good cleaning, something that many shotguns never get.

Any M12 that falls open when being dry fired is showing wear, or some other problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am 
Limited Edition

QuarterChoke, the problem seems to be, if the recoil is not enough to get the release to work and it is necessary to "manually" push the forearm forward, can this be corrected? When my skeet M12 falls open when dry fired, my question is simply, is that a problem??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

The back pressure on the forend/action bar lock is provided by a circle spring that goes around the magazine. My first reaction would be to disassemble the front end of the gun and take a look at that spring and the forend tube. Either or both are liable to have years of crud impeding their function.