CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 90T trap gun ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

A local trap shooter has a Remington 90T trap gun for sale.

34-inch full-choke ported barrel.

Adjustable-comb. Fancy recoil reducing butt plate.

Where does the Remington 90T fit into the big picture of SBT trap guns ?

Compared to other SBT like the Browning BT-99, Krieghoff KX-5, Perazzi TM1, Kolar, etc ?

Last edited by Hammer1 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Remington T90 trap gun ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

The ones I have seen were very nice looking guns.I was told they were made by Kolar but someone else wil have to verify that.Remingtons website says they were made in the US by Competition Arms.That is all I know about them,but they are a quality gun from what I have been told.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

As mentioned they were made by what is now known as Kolar Arms.

they are good quality guns and like with most shotguns, if they fit you good and shoot where you are looking you will do well with them. If they don't.... well then it doesn't matter how nice they are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was at a shoot in Darien, WI. I was told that the polite gentleman down the line was the owner of Kolar. He was shooting a Remington 90-T. Yes, Kolar did make the Remington 90-T.

I was able to pick one up a little later. It had a bit of a crooked rib, otherwise I might have picked it up. I ended up with a KS-5. I don't feel that either gun is inferior to the other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am 
Diamond Grade

Is there any similarity between the Remington 90T and any Kolar branded shotgun ?

If someone has a Remington 90T, can they legitimately say they have a Kolar ?

Is the 90T out of production ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hammer1 wrote:
Is there any similarity between the Remington 90T and any Kolar branded shotgun ?

No. I don't think Kolar has made another SBT since the 90T.
Hammer1 wrote:
If someone has a Remington 90T, can they legitimately say they have a Kolar ?

It's a bit like people who own a Chrysler TC saying they own a Maserati. You see some advertised that way, but it's not legit. Moreover, why would you care? It's a great gun, no matter what name is stamped on the side.
Hammer1 wrote:
Is the 90T out of production ?

Yes, production ended in the late 90s.

Post subject: Re: Remington 90T trap gun ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hammer, while they are good guns, if you might possibly be looking at the high rib model, with the adjustable rib, be forewarned. There were two iterations. The first and most prevalent, was not set up right from the start. The sighting plane, caused the POI to be too low, even at the highest setting. I can personally vouch for that. For myself, it was in feet, not inches. I had to "cover the bird" by somewhat more than a foot! It was an expensive lesson.

The later iteration, (very late in production I understand), was supposed to have fixed that problem.

The low rib model, I am not aware of any such problem.

The guy, (on here), that knows all about them, and does great repair work, (if needed), is the GunDoctor, Doug Braker. Been there and done that, as well as having Simmons replace the POS adjustable rib, (only because the original setup was wrong), with one of theirs. As I said, expensive lesson.

I hope the above was of some help.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

Kolar does make a SBT, it is the Max T/S. Several shooters in this area have them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oletymer wrote:
Kolar does make a SBT, it is the Max T/S. Several shooters in this area have them.

I guess I haven't seen that one before. A number of folks around here have the T/A (?? is that the model?) which is a double with undersingle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

The T/S is a mid single only, can't add o/u barrels as far as I know, very good gun.
http://www.kolararms.com/trapmaxts.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:47 am 
Diamond Grade

Just talked to the nice people at Kolar.

They gave me a short history of the Remington 90-T.

They still service it and can do anything necessary with a couple of weeks turnaround.

Described the 90-T as a well designed and well built trap gun which should last a long, long time.

Discussed the issues concerning the redesign/redo of the locking lug angle. That can be updated for about $200.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have owned and shot both the high rib and low rib 90T's. The low rib model was an early frame that needed both the forearm update and locking bolt angle change. The high rib model was a late production gun and still wish I had that one in the safe. Had Braker do the work on the low rib and at the same time had the frame nickled, then the side plate case hardened. It was a very attractive gun after I added some AAA wood. The low rib gun shot my first 200 straight at the Iowa State shoot in the 90's, The high rib gun was a handicap monster, getting me back to the 26 yard line. I had annual problems with the high rib gun with weak locking bolt/lever springs and just had a local smithy replace them every winter. If the gun was shot in rain it tended to shoot open if I couldn't keep the bolt and mono block dry. Both were the lowest recoil guns ever owned. Bumped me lighter than a Remmy 1100, it was impressive.

Maltzie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Great gun for the money but for me personally too, too heavy. Like swinging a 2x4 with a lead pipe attached.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

The customer service at Kolar is great! If you purchase a 90T, the people at Kolar will go above and beyond the call to help you. I went up there earlier in the week with my 90T HPAR, and dealt with a gentleman by the name of Dave. He showed me how to adjust the rib properly,and spent quite a bit of time explaining the particulars of the gun to me. He even shot several test patterns with it to further demonstrate the rib adjustment. You just can't beat a great guy like that! I would not hesitate in purchasing another 90T, after meeting the fine people at Kolar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have both the 90T and a Kolar Combo. Both excellent guns, both have had great service from the Kolar factory in WI, you won't find better people.
I shot the 90T so well I ended up getting my Kolar as a top single combo with a fixed rib set for the same POI as my 90Twith the taller add-on rib.
90T's have a great rep. for dependablity, some find them heavy, but I love their fit and lack or recoil.
I also shot a KX5 and BT99 for awhile, I'd much prefer the 90T.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shot the 90-T at the trap range last weekend and patterned it too.

Shot terribly.

The pattern board showed the 90-T was hitting way, way low.

Another shotgun that I patterned at the the same time was shooting about center.

Have since raised the the adjustable-comb on the 90-T and will see its effect on the pattern board this coming Sunday.