CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ REDHEAD??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Anyone know if the CZ Redhead deluxe is a good gun? Any info would be good and maybe the cheapest place to get one.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: CZ REDHEAD??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No, it's not a particularly good gun. You'd be better off saving up a little more money and buying a Browning or Beretta.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey, I'm not afraid to admit I have a couple of Huglu CZ's in my safe amongst my other guns.(be nice now). I don't do a lot of shooting, mostly pasture clays and hunting. Anyhow, I just bought the CZ's to see if they were as good or as crappy as people were claiming (I certainly didn't need them) for the type of shooting I do. I have the ringneck in 12 gauge and the canvasback o/u in 20 gauge. So far they have been good guns for the money for what I use them for. And that is the key. What do you plan on using it for. If your are mostly a hunter then it will probably be ok for a long time. If you are going to shoot trap, then I can't really say, but then again I think these guns are designed for the low volume shooter and they are fine for that. I have a Winchester and a Browning o/u and yes you can see the difference in quality. Heck, I have an older Brno/CZ side by side and I can see the difference compared to the new ringneck. Also, the handling and fit of the older CZ is superior to the newer ringneck, at least for me. So I think if you are a average shooter, the Redhead would be fine. If you plan on shooting high volume, then maybe as suggested save up a bit more. But first, have you handled a Redhead (gun that is). If you haven't maybe the feel of it is not good for you at all which is half the battle. Also do a search on this forum for Huglu guns and you will get lots of posts discussing them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
No, it's not a particularly good gun. You'd be better off saving up a little more money and buying a Browning or Beretta.

Did you own one or use one? what kind of shooting did you do with it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I recently purchased a CZ Upland Ultralight exclusively for bird hunting. I certainly would not be using a CZ hunting model for clay target sports on a constant basis. If used in most hunting situations I wouldn't expect a problem. The CZ shotguns do carry a 5 year warranty so should you experience a problem... they'll be fixing the gun for a little while. My gun seems to be well finished. The barrel regulation is right on and the chokes provided with the gun pattern pretty well. I don't know what more a person would want from a hunting gun. I should mention that if this CZ does fail I do have other shotguns to use. NEVER be without a backup gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info. Yes just a hunting gun for the 2-3 months I do it. the higher end guns are just so costly to be beatin up in the field. Still want to talk with someone that has the redhead deluxe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hoophs, post your question in this forum viewforum.php?f=137

cdb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hoophs wrote:
Did you own one or use one? what kind of shooting did you do with it?

We stocked CZ's in the gun shop. All but one or two came back with serious problems requiring warranty service. We stopped stocking them.

Some of the guys on the Huglu forum have said that the problems have been addressed and newer guns are much better... it will take decades for them to earn back my trust.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:35 am 
Limited Edition

drsfmd wrote:

You know ... sometimes I think this place should be called "Clays.com" or "Skeet.com"

The plain cold facts are that 99.8% of the folks who own a shotgun will probably NEVER shoot more than 300-400 rounds a year. And that is being generous. The CZs, Stoegers, Yildizs, and other guns that are referred to as "budget" guns are probably JUST FINE for the bulk of shotgunners. I'll be the first to say that they would NEVER be a good choice for a clays gun. No way, no how. But for a hunting and leisure gun they are very, very adequate. So are the often blasted Rem 1100s. Most folks would be way ahead of the game by spending $400-$500 on a gun that will serve them well for several years, than spending their hard-earned cash for a Citori that won't do them any better. And furthermore, I'd venture to say that a lot of people don't have the funds to spend on a "better" gun. Why bash a product and take the chance of isolating or turning away a prospective shotgun owner? Especially when you turn around and say that "that was several years ago and they are supposed to be better now" ????

So based on past history should I stay out of Arizona & Colorado?

There used to be hostile Indians there, you know?

Giving an opinion is great ......... if done in an encouraging manner.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

If you don't plan to shoot it, you can buy whatever you want and it will work about the same as anything else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:48 am 
Limited Edition

BarryD wrote:
If you don't plan to shoot it, you can buy whatever you want and it will work about the same as anything else.

And there's another example. :roll:

Hoophs ... go to the CZ Owner's forum on this board and do some reading. I think that will speak for itself. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 am 
Crown Grade

I've handled the things and put them back on the store rack. They have been clunky guns. They open and close better than Stoegers, but not like quality entry-level guns from the B's. OTOH I also don't have any Citoris; their handling does nothing for me, either.

If that's what you want, get it. That's my point. If you don't plan to shoot the thing, it doesn't matter. Why ask at all?

I certainly have field guns that won't see 300 rounds this year. But I still care about how they handle and function, whether I can sell them again if they see too many years of zero rounds, and whether I have to be concerned that they'll break if I get a wild hare and start using them a lot. I.e., I still have standards, even if I'm not spending a lot, or using the gun for Clays.

If you don't, then what the hell do you care? And why bother posting?

I've traded, bought and sold field guns as what I liked and hunted has changed. In no case has anyone asked about round count, on either side of the transaction, because "it really doesn't matter unless the guns has been shot to hell" is a basic, minimum standard of a decent field gun. A decent gun will work when called upon, and you really don't have to worry about it. That's the point, not to use the gun for clay competition.

E.g. 5 or more years back, I bought an old Ithaca SKB 20 Gauge O/U for $500, hunted with it for a while with success, enjoyed it, then recently traded it for a 20 Gauge Ithaca SKB SxS because the owner didn't like how it shot and wanted the O/U version, which he's now happy with. I think I like that SxS, but if it ends up that I don't, I can sell it to someone who does, or trade it again, all without any loss. And both are guns that handle well and work flawlessly. That's a better way to buy field guns, than buy cheap new ones that don't feel great, last if actually shot, or hold their value regardless. And I haven't had to have any qualms about taking either gun to the range for practice, as much as I want.

YMMV, but my opinion about field guns is not based just on using it for high-volume Skeet or Clays, even though those are fun, and I sure don't mind having the option to use any gun at the range without concern about breaking it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am happy to say I purchased a CZ Redhead Deluxe 12 ga O/U about 3 months ago. After the new stiffness wore off it feels like an extension of my own body. Mounts very smoothly, swings easily and best of all it shoots an occasional 25 on the trap field!! No problems yet--have put over 1500 rounds through it so far of 1 oz reloads. Plan to continue to put about 500 rounds/month for as long as I can get out to the trap field. Ask me every year to see how the gun holds up. I wanted an O/U to shoot, the B guns were too expensive while I have 2 boys in college right now and the CZ came along so I am trying it. Maybe later I can better afford a B gun and give the CZ a rest and have my boys use it when they come shooting with me after they graduate!!! I am even thinking of trying the new International Trap setup my local shooting range is installing right now!!! Right now I am enjoying the heck out of this O/U! If I did what a lot of others suggest, I would still be saving my money sitting at home instead of shooting at my local trap field every day off I get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you so much! this is the first good feed back I have got & just to the point of what I was asking. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 pm 
Field Grade

Hoophs wrote:
Thank you so much! this is the first good feed back I have got & just to the point of what I was asking. Thank you again.

You don't get to control the responses you get when you ask for feedback. People are giving their opinions and you agreeing with them does not qualify it as a good or bad piece of feedback.

I can't comment on the gun b/c I know nothing about it, but if it gets you out shooting and you enjoy the gun and the sport, then buy it. No matter what you buy, begin saving for another gun down the road because everyone wants to add to the collection and the prices usually go up for the next ones!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey BarryD, Just a note to add to our good conversation:
I was buying SKB'S in the early 70's WHEN THEY WERE CALLED japanese JUNK :!:
Still have them----glad I did :D

best regards
reed

obama's gonna go to hell!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I had Huglus and they were nothing but trouble. Like drfsmd said It will take a long time for them to get my business or trust back. DO yourself a favor and buy a quality gun. the price seems high now but in the long run you will come out ahead.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey Hoophs,

Been almost a month now. Did you ever buy that CZ Redhead Deluxe? If you did, how do you like it? I still love mine, I just shot a 25 on a 16yd wobble today!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:01 am 
Presentation Grade

ive had a canvasback for well over 2 years now and have mabey 2 thousand rounds through it and have never had any problems with it what so ever. ive taken it grouse hunting, pheasants/doves some back yard clays and preserve hunting. some people on this forum think if it doesnt say beretta or browning on it then its junk. people on this forum will have a problem with a beretta/browning but no bad words will ever be said just because of the name. cz has some of the best customer support for their guns as browning/beretta have horrible support for theirs, people still buy them because of the name. if cz had bad support everybody on this forum would kill cz. cz had some issues with the 1st run of guns and since then they have been fixed but also since then the internet has arneshed cz's reputation and i think alot of people who posted problems with cz never really owned one. im gonna check back on this thread and see how many people bashed my responce!!! LOL :) :roll: {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No CZ has great support just got sick of guns breaking and having to send them in to get a different one that promptly broke again. At some point I cut my losses sold them for a big loss and got away from them.

I have heard from some that the QC has improved but I won't take the chance again.

By the way i don't own a Beretta or a Browning. Had a Beretta 390 but traded it to the guy who installed my AC system.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.