CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Special purpose Shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

My Grandfather always told me to be wary of a man who only owns two guns. Seems like we have evolved into a shooting culture where we need different shotguns for different purposes. I am certainly guilty of it. Take for instance my shotguns.

1) Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.
2) Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge.
3) Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge (Police Model)
4) Winchester Model 12 12 gauge.
5) Wnchester Super X2 Synthetic 3.5 magnum.
6) Benelli Super Black Eagle 12 gauge 3.5 magnum
7) Benelli Montefeltro Synthetic 20 gauge
8) Browning Citori White Lightning 12 gauge
9) Smith and Wesson Model 1000 20 gauge

Explaination of use:

1) Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.

This one gets the nod for 95% of my shotgunning use. Its the one I shoot the best.
It was originally given to me as a gift when I was 12 years old. Had a 30 inch fixed full choke barrel. Years ago when I started serious dove hunting, something that I would rather do than anything, I got tired of shredding doves with the full choke inside 30 yards. Took it to Briley here in Houston, had the barrel cut to 28 inches and had thin wall chokes installed. This gun patterns amazingly and has a 2 3/4 inch chamber. I use this gun when I shoot without my son. If he goes he claims it and I switch to the Model 12.

2) Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge.

This gun rarely sees any use whatsoever and sits in the safe. I purchased it from a guy at work who was selling it. I bought it not only to help out a buddy going through a divorce, but because its an exact duplicate of my 12 gauge Wingmaster and just happened to be made in the same year. It still has a 28 inch, fixed Modified barrel. The deal was, he could buy the gun back for the same $300 I paid him for it and he never did. He keeps telling me someday he wants it back, therefore I don't sell it. I probably should just give it back to him but hes the kind of guy who would just sell it again to someone else.

3) Remington 870 Express (Police Model)

Exactly what is designed to be used for. Home protection and it served years of service in the trunk of the police car as well as riding on the transmission hump of my Ford.

4) Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge

Passed down from my uncle who bought it in the early 40's. When I got it it had the factory full choke 30 inch barrel. I started using this one when my son started dove hunting with me and also just to shoot skeet with. All the old timers at the range know what it is when it comes out of the case and its a conversation piece. I shoot it well but not as well as the 12 gauge Wingmaster. Using it for dove hunting I had the same problem as before with the full choke barrel on the Wingmaster, it would literally cut doves in half inside 30 yards. After several years of hesitation it to went to Briley as well. The barrel was cut back to 27 3/4 inches to accommodate the next rib post on the Simmons Rib my uncle later had installed and it to was fitted with lead only thin wall choke tubes. It to patterns like a dream with a modified choke. I know modifying it was a crime, but I know my uncle would want me to be using it rather than sitting in the safe. It was no collector piece as they were a dime a doze in that configuration so I went for it.

5) Winchester Super X2 3.5 composite Magnum

This one I bought to duck and goose hunt with. Not wanting to take the 12 gauge Wingmaster into the marsh and mess it up plus the fact that the Remington only had a 2 3/4 inch chamber I needed something else. I shoot this gun nearly as well as the Remington 870 but just don't really care for autos. Its the go to waterfowler.

6) Benelli SBE 12 gauge 3.5 Magnum

This is one of the first SBE's. The one you can "hotload" with an extra shell on the carrier with two still in the magazine and one in the pipe. Benelli later changed that where it is no longer possible. While this gun is by far the easiest to clean of any I just don't care for it. My son uses it when he duck hunts with me.

7) Benelli 20 gauge, Montefeltro synthetic

I had to have this gun when I bought it. It was so light and it was going to be my new go to dove gun. I think it only weighs like 6 lbs loaded. Turns out its just too light for me. I tend to over swing it and quite frankly just cant shoot it well. It just sits in the safe beside the Wingmaster 20 gauge.

8) Browning Citori White Lighting 12 gauge O/U

When I started shooting skeet on a regular basis I just had to have an over under. I looked at all them and this one fit me the best. Beautiful shotgun, but I just don't shoot it very well. It rarely sees any use

9) Smith and Wesson Model 1000 20 gauge

One of the coolest and quickest handling 20 gauges I have ever handled. But it had problems. The recoil buffer melted down inside making it basically a single and had to be replaced. I had it fixed and never really used it anymore. It has a 28 inch fixed modified choke and patterns very well with Remington Sureshot 7.5 heavy dove loads.

I know that none of these are "high end" guns like some guys here have but most of them have served a purpose. My Grandfather and Uncle would think its ridiculous for a man to own 9 shotguns.

Post subject: Re: Special purpose Shotguns
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:33 pm 
Crown Grade

The advent of changeable choke tubes, IMO, certainly has made one gun more versatile and able to handle a variety of games or scenarios - as has the use of interchangeable barrels on pump guns.

I, personally, would rather have "mission-specific" guns for all of the things I like to do.....and if I hit the lotto, a trip to Italy to get fitted and order them will happen. UNTIL that day, however, I will need to have my few guns do more than one job.

I AM trying to downsize somethings, like bore sizes. Since i can reload 12 and 20 to 28 gauge levels, my 2 28's are now up for sale. This will allow me room to get another 12 or 20.... ;) I NEED 2 12's and 2 20's......one more of each maybe for backup........

I have rifles in that same category - now I am living in a state where I do not hunt as much with them as I used to, so rifles designed for specific purposes is not as needed - all I need now is one for plinking/critters and one for deer/hogs

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

oneounceload wrote:
I AM trying to downsize somethings, like bore sizes.

Shame on you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload, I still have never owned a 28. I run the numbers, shoulder the guns, and as much as the 28 is somehow appealing, the objective differences from the 20 have never justified the 28, to me. I really like 20 Gauge break-actions, but so far, when I've compared them with 28 Gauge versions when the chips are down and my money is in my wallet, I can't tell the difference when I close my eyes. At least there's no "difference that makes a difference", and even on a scaled gun, a caliper and a digital scale show minimal differences.

Between 12 and 20, an O/U is a whole different gun. They're not interchangeable. Between 28 and 20, though, that just hasn't been the case, with production guns that I can afford, anyway. I've had to open the action or look at the barrel markings to know which one I had in my hands. So it just hasn't been possible for me to justify a 28 when factory ammo is much more expensive, and if I handload, the 20 will shoot the same load as a 28 anyway, if I want it to -- while still easily packing more than enough #5 or even #4 for pheasant.

So, insofar as I have special guns for special applications, the bore isn't where the diversity lies. The bore sort of establishes a category, 12 or 20.

Well, I do have an ancient 16, but it's a SxS I bought for cheap on a whim. I'll have to find someone to buy it, but it does shoot really well and it's regulated perfectly, so it's hard to let go.

Last edited by BarryD on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

BarryD wrote:
I'll have to find someone to buy it, but it does shoot really well and it's regulated perfectly, so it's hard to let go.

I've yet to sell a gun that I have not regretted selling, except an 870 Super Express Magnum that would not shuck 3.5 inch shells. That was the worst case of new gun production I have ever seen. Looked like the barrel had been drilled with a dull steak knife. Man I just hate selling guns, but I need to thin the heard as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD - I bought my second 28, the 1100 a while ago - this was to become my "When/IF I'm still shooting at 80 years old" gun. Since I can load a 3/4oz load in 12 and 20 (and the reloading goes SOOOOOOOOO much smoother), I have begun to second guess why I have these guns. One I bought for my wife - she shot it a few times but now loves the Beretta A400 12 gauge. 28's are, IMO, a PITA to reload, and since i haven't won the lotto, reloading is a must. Long story short - I am now in the process of divesting these and concentrating on 12's for sporting and 20's for mostly hunting....(love that S&W SxS Gold Elite).

Since I do the reloading, it will make life less cluttered........and a 3/4oz 12 is a JOY to shoot in a 8-1/4# O/U.

My 3/4 oz 20 gauge load absolutely SMOKES 5-stand targets and leaves my shoulder untouched

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I just picked up 10 flats of Kent 1 oz. target loads for $480, so my 12 Gauge MEC will remain in the closet for now... Not worth buying lead and components...

Quote:
12's for sporting and 20's for mostly hunting

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=233689&p=1957352#p1957352#ixzz10xNUS1OD

That's about how it falls out for me, too, with a smattering of 12 Gauge for hunting pheasant sometimes, and a little practice with the field 20s at the range.

I'm tempted by a .410, but I'm tapped out and it'd just be a toy. Eurochasse has a sale, and a couple guys at the range bought new Lightnings in .410 for $2500 total I think. One nickel, one blue. They reload .410 while drinking good Scotch, and go shoot low-gun skeet with the little things, chuckling. They're getting damn good at it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
I've yet to sell a gun that I have not regretted selling

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=233689#ixzz10xPNXECQ

I've only sold a few guns, but I'm glad to be rid of all of them, even the one I got too little for.