CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steel Shot Ammo
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I have both the BUL in 12 gauge and a Montefeltro in 20 gauge. I am assuming that it would be ok to shoot steel shells through the included factory chokes. Black Cloud and Kent Fasteel would be my ammo of choice. Help!

Post subject: Re: Steel Shot Ammo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes, that will be fine. I wouldn't shoot steel larger than no.2's through anything tighter than factory Imp. Mod. choke; I would suggest the factory IC w/ Black Cloud and the factory Mod. w/ Kent #4s

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:24 am 
Utility Grade

One other question. Not familiar with the steel shot shells, why do you recommend the I/C and modified choke tubes? I have always just utilized the modified choke. Is this not recommended for the Black Cloud shells? Need to pick your brain. thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Black cloud uses a unique wad that holds patterns really tight. Id suggest nothing tighter than the Mod. for BC, but the improved cylinder would probably be best. Pattern your gun/chokes/loads and see what you come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:48 am 
Tournament Grade

Benelli Banger; It is to my understanding that steel shot in general tend to pattern tighter than lead shot do.
So from what i have learned you can generally shoot with one size (or so) more open chokes with steel than you would use with lead.

In generall i use the improved cylinder choke for steel (i only use steel shot on clays) and then i go down to a modified choke with lead shot when i go hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

Steel shot cannot compress like lead does so if you do not use a choke designed for Steel in the tighter sizes you could possible damage the barrel and choke. This is why the stock chokes will say yes or no to steel depending on the size. If you need a tighter choke then you will need to look at a aftermarket choke that can handle it. If shooting Black Cloud then I would recommend either Kicks Vortex or the Pure Gold Tempest chokes. Carlson also makes Black Cloud chokes.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:08 pm 
Limited Edition

It is claimed that steel shot will pattern better from an extended choke, one with a parallel section past the choke. The theory is that the pellets get a vibration or "ringing" when the choke jams them together. The extra parallel section allegedly tamps down some of this vibration resulting is more uniform patterns.

Whether this is true or not probably depends on the quality of the choke, extended or not.

I shoot Light Modified/0.015 inch constriction (extended) Comp-N-Chokes for ducks. The patterns are tight and even and murder on any duck that is unlucky enough to intersect my shot string.