CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BROWNING A-5 CYCLING PROBLEM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Here is what I am encountering, I did a search and found the following which is about the same as my problem BUT the thread didn't mention what the resolution to the problem was. I will make my own repair, I just need to know what to buy first, I'm not looking to ship the gun to a repair facility.
My A5 light 12 has been jamming up, the shell in the chamber fires and ejects, second round feeds to the carrier and doesn't make it quite high enough to get into the chamber. It just locks itself up between the carrier and the receiver just underneath the barrel.

Another time this happens is if i use the "auto-load" feature. Empty chamber with the action pulled back; insert shell into magazine tube; let it go; shell springs onto carrier, carrier lifts half way, shell pinches onto reciever; everything locks up.

Something else interesting is if you are holding the bolt and push the release button and ease the bolt forward gently, it will hang up just as the carrier begins to lift & the carrier has to be pushed upwards or push the operating handle forward to close. This won't happen if you just push the button without holding the bolt, then it will slam home as it should.

I have looked at the field service manual under troubleshooting but I still need some input from the field.

Scott

Post subject: Re: BROWNING A-5 CYCLING PROBLEM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Scott....I took my gun apart this morning and I noticed some wear on the carrier latch and I don't think it was adjusted properly. I just ordered a new carrier latch, along with some other parts from Brownells. It will probably be later in the week when I receive the parts, but I am going to give it a try. I will give you an update and hope others reply.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Keel,

Thanks for the reply. I saw where you had pulled up an old thread in the Browning forum. I kinda want to wait I see what your results are before I order any parts. This is my step brothers gun and I'm going off of his complaint, so I hope that it was accurate. I disassembled the gun and throughly cleaned it. Yeah it was nasty and has some accelerated wear on alot of the contact surfaces which alarms me but I have seen others that were worn as much and they function.. I dropped it off at my stock guy this morning to have a recoil pad installed on it for him, so once the stock guy is finished I will pick it up and I want to shoot it myself and see what happens. I noticed that after the cleaning and a few drops of Lucas syn gun oil on the rails it seemed not to hang the bolt up as bad as it did before when gently closing the breech bolt. I did find something that bothers me a little though, the carrier (both sections of it) seem to have a little looseness to them (when breech is closed you can take a finger and push up on the rear half, nearest the trigger housing and it will move the complete carrier assembly up approx 1/8 - 3/16"). I pulled out my '57 L12 and it didn't seem to have as much up & down movement nor did my '78 L20.. I haven't checked any of my others, but I don't ever recall anything in that area that has caught my attention... His gun just seems to have more looseness. Well, I will hang out & wait to see what you come up with and as soon as I get his gun back from the stock shop I will go and shoot it to see if the cleaning/lubing has made any change - I'm guessing not but we'll see.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 am 
Limited Edition

Scott,
Check the other thread again, it'll probably be wear on the carrier latch where it engages the barrel. A good man with TIG should be able to build the engagement point on the latch once out of the gun, work that down to match the barrel extension slot.
Cheers,
R*2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rrusse11 .... I appreciate your response. I will let you know how it turns out. I really think I will solve the problem. It is not rocket science, but takes a little trouble shooting and help from friends! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Replaced the carrier latch and adjusted the cartridge stop. It seemed to be a little high and was slowing the shells progress to the back. It is running like a swiss watch. Boom...Boom...Boom!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

John Browning himself said that the most difficult gun he ever designed was his Auto 5. That's saying something when one considers all of the guns he designed, like the 50 cal machine gun!

He must have struggled over the problem with adjusting the cycling with heavy and light loads...thus the rings that you change. I don't know enough about them to give you advice to fix yours. Looks like others have. Hope yours works now. It is an excellent design.