CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The 870 slug barrel by mossberg.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:55 pm 
Limited Edition

I seen at Dicks Sporting Goods, Mossberg makes a slug barrel for the Remington 870. Has anyone ever used this. I've only shot slugs with smoothbore and was considering getting this barrel. Going to ohio to hunt later this year for shotgun season.

What can I expect from shooting sabots or rifled slugs?

Post subject: Re: The 870 slug barrel by mossberg.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

I got a fully rifled shotgun barrel, and I wish I hadn't. Those sabots cost $3 a round.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

walmart usa advertises a 12ga fully rifled cantilever barrel with scope and rings for 169.00 made by mossberg. i have remington rifled barrels myself in 20in with iron sights and a 23in cantilevered with scope ammo is a lot more i think the accuracy is a lot better in a fully rifled barrel over a smooth bore barrel in my opinion you use less ammo and a lesser chance of wounding an animal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:42 pm 
Field Grade

browningx06 wrote:
I seen at Dicks Sporting Goods, Mossberg makes a slug barrel for the Remington 870. Has anyone ever used this. I've only shot slugs with smoothbore and was considering getting this barrel. Going to ohio to hunt later this year for shotgun season.

What can I expect from shooting sabots or rifled slugs?

Sabots, scope and a rifled barrel - a range of about about 50 more yards, of accurate shooting.

Nothing worse than seeing a good deer, slightly out of the range of a smoothbore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Wolfe1 wrote:
walmart usa advertises a 12ga fully rifled cantilever barrel with scope and rings for 169.00 made by mossberg. i have remington rifled barrels myself in 20in with iron sights and a 23in cantilevered with scope ammo is a lot more i think the accuracy is a lot better in a fully rifled barrel over a smooth bore barrel in my opinion you use less ammo and a lesser chance of wounding an animal

I think the one I seen at dicks was the same thing without the scope for 129.00. not a bad price, especially when you look at other rifled barrels. Sabots aren't anymore than the regular slugs at the shop here. 6 bucks for a box of 5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:35 am 
Diamond Grade

My neighbor ordered one from Walmart and I went out with him to sight it in. great scope and shot great. They sent it right to his door. Shot little 2 in. groups at 100 yds.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do not know about the scoped 870 barrel, but the scoped acc barrel for my Mossy 500 gives great accessory and helps to thin the local pig population.

ST762

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:36 pm 
Limited Edition

I was mostly curious about the quality of the barrel. i'm not knocking mossberg because i've never shot a mossberg, but a slug barrel at a price like that, to me raised a red flag for quality. I seen the remington (remington factory slug barrel) slug barrel for over twice the cost of the mossberg, and then some of the other ones like Hastings are even more than the Rem barrel.

Im going to give it a shot, the next time I go to dicks im going to pick it up if they still have it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

browningx06 wrote:
I was mostly curious about the quality of the barrel. i'm not knocking mossberg because i've never shot a mossberg, but a slug barrel at a price like that, to me raised a red flag for quality. I seen the remington (remington factory slug barrel) slug barrel for over twice the cost of the mossberg, and then some of the other ones like Hastings are even more than the Rem barrel.

Im going to give it a shot, the next time I go to dicks im going to pick it up if they still have it.

Quality does not necessarily equal price markup.

Be lucky you don't have a Supernova and have "Benelli", stuck in your head. They're $500 a ridiculous markup. Remington probably has a large markup too. I purchased the Badger barrel for the SN ($179) http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/. It's right on the money at the range and in the field.

Badger may even make the Mossburg barrels. They also make 870 slug barrels (maybe they are even making the real "Remington" barrrels ;) ), with scope mount, for around $200.

Gun barrels are not rocket science. They just need to be made using good materials and quality control.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:50 am 
Tournament Grade

The Mossberg accessory barrels are fairly heavily constructed for accuracy. I have seen some Remington Sluggers in my local GM that were fairly thin in construction. Considering the Mossberg barrel is a bit more economical than the Remington, I am casting my vote for the Mossy accessory barrel for the Remington 870. It is ported as well to help relieve some of the gas pressure, preventing muzzle rise.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:31 am 
Field Grade

For how much you pay for a rifled barrel, you can almost buy a used 870 with a factory barrel installed. Just my two cents... I now have two 870s... one for home D, skeet and trap, the other for slugs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

SM,

What is the thickness of your slug barrel. My Mossy barrel is .110 inches, and the slug barrels on the 870s at my local GM look like they about .060-.075 inches. I like my heavy Mossy barrel as it gives me very good accuracy. How is yours on accuracy? I am not knocking the 870 platform, as it is very reliable, I am just curious on your slug accuracy.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:17 pm 
Field Grade

You are very right about barrel thickness. Pinning my barrel helped. I have since upgraded to a 870 superslug that has an extra heavy fluted barrel, cant comment on accuracy yet (still building! And unfired). On my older rifled remmie barrel (23inch), accuracy was ok with cheapo slugs, but better with a 28inch barrel and rifled choke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

Ultimately id recommend the op find a used moss 500 with slugster barrel, I've seen amzing things done with this setup and it can be had for cheap. Keep the 870 for you original purpose (home d, bird gun ect)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hear those Super Slugs are super sweeet. I wish I had the money to afford one, but it gives me something to look forward to.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, had to sell my totally tacticool rem 700 so that the wife didn't castrate me. Unfortunetly, buds has been sold out of them for a few weeks now so I had to buy at a local shop... extra $150!