CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muzzle brakes for shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am 
Utility Grade

I saw a very impressive picture of a muzzle brake on a shotgun at the three guns championships.I wonder how effective are the brakes on shotguns and who makes them
sincerely
Filippo

Post subject: Re: Muzzle brakes for shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Muzzle brakes on shotguns are not a new idea. Many older shotguns had Cutts compensators installed back in the 50's and early 60's. I remember seeing lots of them in the dove fields when I was a kid. They fell out of vogue and many were cut off but they still turn up at gun shows occasionally. A major drawback to using a brake on a HD type gun is that they greatly increase muzzle blast and noise from the perspective of the shooter. I know one older hunter who blames a borrowed shotgun with a Cutts for his hearing loss. He said that after a day in the field shooting this thing back in the 1960's, that he could just barely hear the car radio on the way home and his hearing has never totally recovered.

"There is no maxim, in my opinion, which is more liable to be misapplied, and which, therefore, more needs elucidation, than the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong." ~ James Madison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Muzzle brakes on shotguns tend to be less effective than brakes on rifles because the gas pressure in a shotgun is so much lower.

A regular here reported a while back that a KA-1212 brake did seem to reduce recoil on his project gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 am 
Utility Grade

NHrural wrote:
Muzzle brakes on shotguns tend to be less effective than brakes on rifles because the gas pressure in a shotgun is so much lower.

A regular here reported a while back that a KA-1212 brake did seem to reduce recoil on his project gun.

I did search for it ,the manufacturer site was not available.I could find a picture though and it is definitely not the one used by Miculek on his shotgun.
It looks like the one used on heavy gun like the tiger tank,it is of clam shell design
thank you
Filippo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:39 pm 
Limited Edition

KA-1212 on my Mossber 500 20" barrel

Tank brake http://www.eabco.com/cssmb.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
That job looks good, prc77. At least the man can't be criticized for the work that he actually did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't think you will ever find some one that is unsatisfied with there work. King Joey does not send out " that's good enough" work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:46 am 
Diamond Grade

We build KA-1212's for most shotguns and they do cut recoil and flash. The noise difference is negligible from the operators position, the blast is directed out laterally very efficiently. Me and Ron went out dove hunting last season and I was shooting one of our KA-1212 equipped shotguns and without hearing protection it didn't bother me at all. It did bother Ron though, I was tracking a dove that was flying past us and when I shot, the ports were pointing in Ron's direction and it about blew the hat off his head and made his ears ring pretty good ;)

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:29 am 
Diamond Grade

how do you change choke tubes?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:44 am 
Limited Edition

quartering wrote:
how do you change choke tubes?

You don't

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

I suppose you could have the barrel threaded for chokes before attaching the muzzle device. Then you would just need a really long choke tube wrench.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:39 am 
Diamond Grade

TempestV wrote:
I suppose you could have the barrel threaded for chokes before attaching the muzzle device. Then you would just need a really long choke tube wrench.

The bore on the brake is just a hair larger than the bore of the barrel, no way of getting the choke tube thru there. The brake tightens the patterns and actually will usually pattern worse with a choke installed before the brake. For people who need to be able to use something like a turkey choke on occasion, there is always the option of installing the brake on an extended choke tube so that it can be removed if needed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm 
Utility Grade

does anyone know of a place where i can purchase a door breacher muzzle brake for my mossberg 500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:29 am 
Diamond Grade

matt918 wrote:
does anyone know of a place where i can purchase a door breacher muzzle brake for my mossberg 500

We got a new batch of breachers in process right now, should be done in about 4-5 weeks. We just finished up doing a production run of KA-0450 brakes for the .50 Beowulf rifles and now we're doing a run of KA-1212BR breacher/brakes and KA-1222A brake/suppressors for the AR15/M16.