CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Springfield 16 gauge dbl barrel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, first time poster here. I want to say thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I have a Springfield 16 gauge double barrel shotgun I recently got from a great uncle. He said he bought it 40 or 50 years ago at a garage sale. I'm interested to know as much about it as possible. Particularly how old it is, how much it might be worth, and how good it is as a shooter for clays. Here's what I know:

* The serial # located on the receiver and the bottom of the barrel only visible with the breech open is E23347

* It says "Springfield Arms Company Chicopee Falls Mass USA" on the reveiver

* It says "Selected Forged Steel" on one barrel and "Proof Tested 16 Gauge" on the other

* It has a small 22 with a circle around it about where the forearm meets the receiver

* It has definitely been used

* It will fit a 2 3/4" shell

Here are some pictures of it.

Thanks again!

Post subject: Re: Springfield 16 gauge dbl barrel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Your gun is a Springfield No. 311, a cheaper version of the Springfield No. 315. These G.S. Lewis, Patent No. 1,136,247, granted Apr. 20, 1915, guns were introduced by the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. as the Riverside No. 315 in their last catalogue prior to WW-I. After the Great War the factories at Chicopee Falls, Mass., were bought by Savage Arms Corp. and operated as their wholly owned subsidiary J. Stevens Arms Co. J. Stevens Arms Co. continued to make the Riverside No. 315 and introduced a slightly fancier version as the Stevens No. 330. For 1930 they stopped using the Riverside Arms Co. name for their lower priced line of guns and began using the Springfield Arms Co. name. For 1931 they introduced a lower priced version of the gun, the Springfield No. 311. The Stevens No. 330 had a checkered, capped pistol grip select walnut stock and a checkered forearm. The Riverside/Springfield No. 315 had a checkered half-pistol grip walnut stock and checkered forearm. The Springfield No. 311 had an uncheckered walnut stock and forearm. These guns were also built for other jobbers/wholesalers/dealers with a number of different "trade names." RANGER for Sears, Roebuck & Co. are most common.

Here is the No. 311 from a 1938 J. Stevens Arms Co. illustrated price list --

Post subject: Re: Springfield 16 gauge dbl barrel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick response! I was out of town and unable to check on this right away. Does anyone have any idea how much it might be worth?