CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nikko shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:52 pm 
Limited Edition

On the spur of the moment I have bought a Nikko shotgun. It is in excellent condition and was a good price.
It's a Nikko 2200 trap gun and I know nothing about them.
Can anybody give me some idea of their history as a maker and does anyone know how to date them?
Thanks in anticipation.

Vic.

Post subject: Re: Nikko shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nikko was the trade mark for Kadensha og Japan. They were the supplier of Winchester 101 O/U shotguns and made their own guns under their own trade mark. Not well known but they made pretty decent guns. You may have a winner but parts may be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have three, all are the 5000 series. I have never had a single foul-up with any of them. To me, a Nikko is everything the Win.101 wanted to be. Their only problem is their thin barrels do not lend themselves to screw in chokes but I'm not a big choke fan anyway. I just have mine opened to IC/M permantly and am perfectly happy.....Jack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I only had one: series 5000, 30", trap grinder! Of course, I sold it and have regreted that sale ever since. Good robust gun IMHO.
///olde 8) pharte///

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Agree with everything said in a positive light about Nikko, they are of excellent build quality and in my opinion a shooting classic of the future - parts for the Winchester made by Nikko, and the Parker Hale 800 series shotguns also made by Nikko are supplied by Nu-Line USA - so parts might not be such a problem, there are also a number of modern shotguns made in Japan (today) that use very similar pattern parts that can be re-worked by most good gunsmiths - Nikko's are great guns and are worth repairing if they ever break down.

I have recently read an article written in 1963 that stated the first Nikko's produced in the late 1950's / early 1960's came with a life time warranty to the orginal owner - I do not think these guns were ever designed to break down.