It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oregon Shooters activity
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Just checking in here. Went on two ODFW pheasant hunts recently. Saw some birds but did not bring any home. Shoot some skeet and trap out at Hillsboro club, having fun. Anybody else?

DogTrot's favorite trots (photos)http://www.panoramio.com/user/2727214

" Man has mounted science and is now run away with." Henry Adams, 1862

Post subject: Re: Oregon Shooters activity
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

I also do some occasional shooting out at Hillsboro trap and skeet with a couple guys from work. Going down to Eugene area with a buddy or two this weekend to do some turkey hunting, maybe try to get into some geese too...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I am sad to admit I have only been on one hunt this year and it was for deer, been slammed with work. . .anyone out there getting grouse in the coast range or have any luck with pheasants on the west side?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 am 
Field Grade

Only a month late on the post...

I saw many grouse in the mountains southwest of Alsea, but the problem was I had a .32 Special instead of my 16! Any suggestions for quail hunting areas near (or not near) Corvallis?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

Saw a few last weekend just west of Corvallis. . .only birds I've seen all year except for the one grouse I saw on a deer hunt earlier in the fall. . .just haven't had a lot of time out, found more chantrelles than anything else, now they are gone too. It's slowed down quite a bit at work, so I'm gonna get more time out there. If I shoot one bird out of ten trips I'm happy, so figure that into your assesment of my info!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:57 am 
Field Grade

I saw some up near Kings Valley, but everywhere around here seems to be posted, populated, or a refuge (don't have non-tox yet for the old Rem 11). I've been poking around trying to find those "secret" pockets where one can hunt, but the only ones I've found don't seem too good for upland game. I'm from Redmond, and I'm beginning to realize how much I took for granted just being able to get outside town and hunt wherever.
Aside from hunting, where do you go to do a little informal rifle-shotgun practice, shooting cans and throwing your own clays? Any good gravel pits around here, or is it mostly gun-club country?
I love it here in the valley, but it feels more restricted than the east side as far as shooting/hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 am 
Field Grade

I forgot to mention... good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Ya, King's Valley is good, there is quite a bit of timber company land out that way by Hoskins, off 223, lot's of gravel and clear cuts, and some birds, big game and fish. I don't live nearby there anymore, but I spent a lot of time out there back in the day. There are plenty of quarries, it just takes some driving/scouting to find a good place to shoot targets (so long as people don't leave trash around, it is remarkably clean). Most of the roads I used to access have been closed, but there are still plenty left deeper in off the main road. Sorry to be too cryptic, but part of it is I really don't know the names of the roads off the highway (not that there are a lot of them), just landmark references like a volunteer FD station that marks my turn. That should give you plenty if you know the area at all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks! I've seen the fire station you're talking about, so I'll go explore out on those roads. It gets fairly frustrating with all the gates on the west side of the Cascades. Every time I get the "this might be a good spot" feeling, there's a GATE!!! Over in Central Oregon, gates usually don't mean a thing, just leave them how you found them. Over here, the logging companies seem to want a little more security than that. But yes, there are still some open roads. Thanks for the secret clues!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'd like to get out east more, a lot of the time over here you can still access, but the gates will be closed, you have to walk in. . .not necessarily a bad deal, most of the time if it's timer land there will be a sign detailing allowed activities (which I've seen always including hunting)--but if in doubt I don't go, not worth a ticket or getting shot. I saw one one time that said:

"trespassers will be shot on sight, survivors will be shot again, if you don't believe me try it and see what happens!!!!"

all in big red spray paint letters on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. . .it was my buddy's neighbor they shared a driveway. Kinda funny, I had permission, but he didn't tell me about the sign, and the first time I went out there I had to go back into town to call make sure I was in the right place! He laughed and said they'd been having problems with thieves. . .guess I don't blame them!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

As usual December's weather made getting out to shoot a challenge. For me it was watch the weather radar and if there was a clear spot at the Trap range we went for it. Sometimes it was showers all around the club but dry for the couple of hours we were there and on the way out it pours. Sometimes the clays would climb and dip with the wind, blowing faster from the SW and going against and slower into it. We missed a couple of trips out just because of the rain and wind. We like to shoot but sometimes you just need to reconsider your habits. Several times it was long johns and sweaters with wind breakers. This Wednesday when we normally go out, snow is expected. Sunday will be cold and windy. Sure makes me remember those fine summer shoots.

DogTrot's favorite trots (photos)http://www.panoramio.com/user/2727214

" Man has mounted science and is now run away with." Henry Adams, 1862