CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 16 Gauge Pietro Beretta Silver Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Pietro Beretta 16 Gauge Silver Hawk that I was given, and have no idea its worth, and being a 16 gauge should I keep it. Collector value? Gun is average condition.

PenroseB

Post subject: Re: 16 Gauge Pietro Beretta Silver Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:12 am 
Diamond Grade

The Silver Hawk, and the preceding model 626, are unique shotgun actions, neither sidelock nor true boxlocks. Having dismanlted many of them I can tell you that they are among the most rugged and reliable side by side actions. Or to put it plainly, they are very good shotguns. The 16 is rare, I have never seen one, not even in exhibitions in Italy.

If it were mine it would never be sold.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 am 
Presentation Grade

for the love of god please keep it!!! if i owned it i would bu buried with it. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

It is worth exactly $250. Send me your name and address and I will buy it! :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

The Silverhawk is a very nice gun and the 16 gauge is (as I've recently discovered firsthand) a very sweet gauge.

Given that combo, your gun seems to me to be a keeper.

I had to do a helll of a lot of stock work on my 12 ga but it was worth it. The gun is NOT the equivalent of an English game gun but has its own strengths.

I have come to appreciate my 471 more and more.

For what it's worth, I was told that it is a "loss-leader" for Beretta and it's not at all certain that it will be continued. That would be a pity.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Loss leader? Maybe Beretta just doesn't quite get the concept of what that is or something. Do they have such a thing in Italy?

I've never seen one NIB in a store. Ever. Where is the loss leader supposed to lead? :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think the 16s are older guns, not the reborn Silverhawk (471, etc.). I've never seen one of the 16s in person and only one for sale on a site. I think the OP has got a real find and a very good field gun. Keep it. Or sell it to me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:33 pm 
Crown Grade

BarryD wrote:
Loss leader? Maybe Beretta just doesn't quite get the concept of what that is or something. Do they have such a thing in Italy?

I've never seen one NIB in a store. Ever. Where is the loss leader supposed to lead? :)

I have seen many NIB in stores and see them all the time when I visit Beretta in NYC or in London. Since I have a 471 I don't go prowling looking for one but I can't help seeing them.

Yes, loss-leader. This is Beretta's least expensive SxS. If you take the plunge on a 471 and are pleased (as I am) you might spring for one of their Giubileo II SxSs or even an Imperiale Montecarlo (which I won't).

I'm sure some do.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.