CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A500R
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:49 am 
Field Grade

Hey guys,

After shooting an autoloading shotgun for the first time (my Remington 1100) my friend is obsessed with getting an autoloader.

A friend of his has a Browning A500R he wants to sell him. He asked me if I knew anything about the A500 and I dont really so here I am asking you guys. Initial things I have read said they arent very good. What are yalls opinions on this shotgun? Its in really good condition by the way. he wants to sell it to my friend for $375. Yay or Nay?

Remington 1100 12ga
Ruger 10/22
Savage M93 .17 HMR
SIG P220 .45
HK USP Compact 9mm
Ruger Service Six .357
Daniel Defense DDXV

Post subject: Re: Browning A500R
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:43 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

One of our hunting partners has used a Browning A500R for over 15 years as her primary hunting gun and it has served her well through that time. It is not what I would call a soft shooter. We altered the stock to fit her. It is still her primary gun for hunting. I am not sure of the parts availability. I think I would go for a gas gun before the A500R.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:54 am 
Presentation Grade

I own a Browning A500R that I have had for 6 years that gets hunted every season. I have had no problems with my gun even shooting 3" mag shells. They were recalled all recalled guns have the letter (H) stamped on the bottom of the trigger housing. Mine has never failed to feed,fire or eject even shooting light 2 3/4 loads. It operates on the short recoil system I have hunted with it in PA. at -10F with no problems. If it's in good condition as you state the price seems fair to me.

A500R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't think there's ever been a gun made that somebody somewhere didn't like. That said I don't think Browning has ever made a BAD gun. This model came two ways the 500 R is a recoil operated action and the 500G is gas operated. John Brownings recoil action has been around for 100 years and can still be found in the Franchi AL 48s. They are very dependable and easy to take care of. This gun is more suited to field use than targets although I think it would do OK on the sporting clays course. If this gun is in very good condition and your friend likes it 375.00 is a decent price.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:48 am 
Crown Grade

The A500R is hands down the worst gun to ever have the name Browning stamped on it. There is almost no parts available for them and there will never be parts for them again. And they will break if used. I've had 2 the first one didn't last 2 shots and the second one set for 6 years while I tracked down parts to fix it. It's fixed and sets probably never to bo shot again. I could sell it but I wouldn't do that to anyone even a stranger.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:58 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

A5Mag12:
I am sorry that you had a pair of lemons. My hunting partner has put a lot of rounds through her A500R and never had a problem. Most of the time she has hunted three days a week for the fall and winter and the only times she put the gun down was to pick up a rifle for deer hunting.

I was not sure about parts. I think I would pick a gun that has a long and good track record. Based on the comments by A5Mag12, I think I would steer clear of this gun in favor of a gun that is in production now and is softer shooting.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Price seems pretty good. He should try to test fire or at least shoulder the gun though. It has that A-5 hump which some dislike and kind of an oddball grip/stock configuration for a field gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

A5Mag12,astomb!!! WWW.MIDWESTGUNWORKS.COM TEL: 636-475-7300 Has all the Browning A500R parts that a man would need for the rest of his life. They also repair & service the A500G & R.

A500R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:20 pm 
Crown Grade

A500R wrote:
A5Mag12,astomb!!! http://WWW.MIDWESTGUNWORKS.COM TEL: 636-475-7300 Has all the Browning A500R parts that a man would need for the rest of his life. They also repair & service the A500G & R.

A500R

No they don't, they have a cataloge. And a lot of parts listed as sold out. Most of the ones needed to keep the guns shooting are long gone. But you go ahead and believe what you want.