CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: L.C. Smith stock question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I understand the original stocks tend to break or split.

Is this a common enough problem that you would not want to shoot one regularly for clay sports, even with light loads?

Put another way, is it likely that an LC stock is going to split or break if subject to 1000-2000 skeet loads?

Are there sensibly priced replacement options in a new stock for this shotgun?

Post subject: Re: L.C. Smith stock question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

L C Smith stocks have little wood in the head because of the innards of the mechanism. I'm a diehard fan of Smiths, and I always examine the head of the stock for 1) signs of oil discoloration and 2) cracks behind the locks-- before purchasing one. Neither sign is a "deal killer" for me---it simply alerts me to what I have to do to correct problems before they get worse. In the former case it alerts me to improper storage of the gun in the past, i.e. storing it butt down, and in the latter case a combination of 1) above and shooting heavy loads.
The solution is removal of the stock and soaking the head in something to remove the oil, then---- THIS IS IMPORTANT--- glass-bedding the inside with a material such as Acraglass to prevent the problem from reoccurring.
These guns were designed and made before the advent of heavy loads as we know them, and common sense dictates the use of low pressure loads, even after doing the above.
In answer to your final questions, one of my favorites has had probably 25000 rounds sent down the tubes with no signs of damage. If it's necessary to replace a stock, they're out there but you will pay a premium.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Glasbed and no worries :D
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17090409

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Another stock issue with L.C. Smiths I don't see addressed above is that when the Alexander T. Brown sidelock L.C. Smith doubles were introduced they were all stocked in pretty darn good quality European Walnut, Juglans regia. As the years and World Wars passed by the quality of the wood got poorer and even many of the lower grades were stocked with American Black Walnut, Juglans nigra.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:18 am 
Crown Grade

I have Elsies in 20 ga., 10ga. & several in 12 ga. I have never had a stock problem. I once asked a LC Smith expert about stock problems & was told to keep all the screws/bolts tight & I should not have any problems. I killed the first bird I ever shot flying with Dad's lightweight L.C. Smith as a Navy brat in Taiwan in the late 50's & I still shoot doves with that gun. Dad bought me a 20 ga. Smith in the early 60's for the outrageous sum of $125.00 & it quickly became my favorite gun & remains so today.
Glass bedding sounds like a good idea to me for any sidelock shotgun, particularly 12 & 10 ga. guns.