CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning 4 barrel set
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone have any opinions on a Browning Citori grade 1 four barrel skeet set.I have the chance to pick up a new one but can't find any info on them.Even called Browning and for a minute they were baffled.After a few minutes searching they were able to tell me they were a 2006 shot show special.Please help

Post subject: Re: Browning 4 barrel set
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

There were 4 barrel Citori skeet sets out there before 2006. I think they were mostly 26 inch barreled guns. If the one you're looking at is a 26 incher, I know I'd avoid it just because I like longer barrels. Even though the idea is for all the different gauges to feel the same, they really don't. There's usually 5-6 ounces difference between the heaviest and lightest barrel sets. Plus, the width of the barrels is not the same, as you look over the gun. Really, if a 4-barrel set were the best way to shoot skeet, you'd see a lot more of them in use. For the money you'll spend on that set, I bet you can buy a 12 gauge and have it tubed for the small gauges.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Barrel sets are obsolete technology. Just about everyone in registered competition (and ALL decent shooters I can think of) use tube sets. You'll occasionally see a barrel set in the hands of a club shooter who shot registered skeet 30+ years ago, but they are otherwise an uncommon sight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a 4 barrel set in Grade VI. Personally I like it, no, I love it' I have heard the stuff about 26" barrels not being any good for skeet. Other than for the past few years a 26" was the STANDARD length. All of a sudden you need 28", 30" and even 32" barrels to shoot skeet. I don't know, I seem to break more with my 26" barrels than most of the long barrel shooters at my club and most places I have shot at.
I have heard the talk about tubes being so much better. I don't know, with my 4 barrel set, EVERY gauge set weighs exactly the same. Unlike tube sets where the 12 gauge weighs one weight, the 20 gauge set installed in the 12 gauge barrels weigh something else. Of course the 28 gauge weigh even more as there is more metal in that set, not to mention the weight difference in the .410 compared to the 12 gauge. Basically, you are shooting 4 different weight guns as opposed to a 4 barrel set weighing the same each. Generally the tube set guys try to not discuss the cost difference between the 2 systems whereas their favorite tubes can be purchased for a fraction of a barrel set cost.
The bottom line is for me, I really don't care which system you use. In the field I would never question your choice regardless of what it is. I like a 4 barrel set, and well that is MY PREROGATIVE and I see NO reason I should have to defend every aspect of it. Be it 26" barrels, cost differences, weight, whatever.
I never really felt either camp was more right than the other.
Sorry, I just get tired of all the 4 barrel bashing by people that have never even owned one. Without express and personal knowledge of both, it is unfair to echo someone else's opinion like it is your own personal knowledge of both systems.
Incidentally, Browning still makes a 4 barrel set which sell for $6 or $7,000 to those that can afford that much gun... see 4 barrel guys can come back with nasty and stupid snide remarks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ruger4570 wrote:
... see 4 barrel guys can come back with nasty and stupid snide remarks.

Was that really necessary? No one attacked you; they just gave their opinion to the OP in a very civil way. You strike me as someone who likes to create controversy and then bask in the attention it brings. Very juvenile! Time to grow up, Ruger, and learn to get along. Most people learn to get along by the time they finish kindergarten; looks like you still have a ways to go.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 am 
Crown Grade

I guess I misssed the part where the OP asked about using a 4-bbl set for skeet.

What he asked about was opinions on a browning 4 bbl set. While he may be asking about its place in modern day skeet - he never actually did.

As far as skeet goes, I'm in the "tube set is the optimum solution for the majority of registered shooters" camp.

As far as Browning 4 bbl sets go - I'd love to have one (although I'm not a fan of Brownings in general, they don't fit me and I feel like I'm swinging a damn 2x4, but thats me) IIRC, you have a Beretta 686 WO, you might not care for the feel of the Browning. I think it'd make a nice upland gun - if a bit heavy. Nice day, no wind, maybe the 28 gauge today.

john

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

John H,
You may want to review the first sentence in the OP's post. It specifically says Browning 4 barrel skeet set. That would imply that the poster was interested in it for skeet, wouldn't you think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ruger4570 wrote:
Unlike tube sets where the 12 gauge weighs one weight, the 20 gauge set installed in the 12 gauge barrels weigh something else. Of course the 28 gauge weigh even more as there is more metal in that set, not to mention the weight difference in the .410 compared to the 12 gauge. Basically, you are shooting 4 different weight guns as opposed to a 4 barrel set weighing the same each.

You either don't understand tubesets or are intentionally trying to deceive... which is it? Between the tubes, and the barrel weight used on the 12ga, the difference in my gauges is measured in grams. It's virtually identical across the gauges.
ruger4570 wrote:
Generally the tube set guys try to not discuss the cost difference between the 2 systems whereas their favorite tubes can be purchased for a fraction of a barrel set cost.

So something costs less, and still works better than the more expensive option... sounds like a win-win to me.
ruger4570 wrote:
Incidentally, Browning still makes a 4 barrel set which sell for $6 or $7,000 to those that can afford that much gun... see 4 barrel guys can come back with nasty and stupid snide remarks.

The K-80's that most serious skeet shooters are using cost a good bit more (oh, almost double for a bare bones base model) what a Browning 4 barrel set costs... and that's before tubes, so clearly money isn't even part of this equation.

John H-- he mentioned it as a "skeet set" so it's not hard to come to the conclusion that one wishes to shoot skeet with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

I can't agree, John H. A 2x4 feels better and points much more naturally than a 12 Gauge Citori does.

The only thing I can imagine liking less than Browning's 12 Gauge sewer pipes on a cinderblock, is a pair of .410" sticks on that same cinderblock. But to be fair, I wouldn't want a .410 barrel set on a 12 Gauge frame from Beretta, Perazzi or Kolar either.

That's part of the reason that tube sets are popular now. If you're going to shoot a .410 on a 12 Gauge frame, at least your barrel set will match the balance and geometry.

And while I don't shoot Skeet "seriously", I shoot it often. For practice and out of curiosity, I've used everything from a light 25" SxS grouse gun to a 32" Sporting Clays O/U, and there's a clear reason, to me, why the longer barrels are popular. Whether or not someone scores higher or lower than I do with whatever gun, I know it's easier and more comfortable for me to swing a long but lively barrel set to match a Skeet target's flight -- and MY score goes up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 am 
Crown Grade

My point was that the op asked about a browning "4 bbl skeet set" not a browning 4 bbl set for registered skeet. In my mind that is two very different things. One is gun, the other is skeet mechanics.

Does he want it to shoot registered skeet? does he want it to shoot skeet on weekends with his friends? does he want it as an investment? we don't actually know. Yet it started a tube vs. 4 bbl set pissing match.

Registered skeet - find a tubeset. Will it work? sure. Is it the best solution - no, apparently not - unless the entire industry has totally missed the boat which I rather doubt.

Weekend or recreational skeet - whatever blows your skirt.

Investment - hmm don't know if something like that is going to increase in value with time or ride the inflation curve. If you're getting a deal on it, might be nice to have.

john

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I plead guilty to being an old club shooter who shot registered skeet more like 20+ years ago as opposed to 30+ years ago but I still have my Browning Citori 4 barrel set and would not part with it. The sets were available in both 26" and 28" lengths. Mine's a 28". I bought it new in 1983 and feel that it may be the best $2500 I ever spent on a gun. It has tens of thousands of rounds through it and never failed me. Maybe I'm the one confused, but on my set all four barrels are matched for weight and balance. The 12 and .410 barrels feel and swing the same. I know all the hotshots now shoot tube sets, but I like the consistant feel of the 4 barrel configuration from one gauge to the next. Its heavy enough to give me a smooth swing but doesn't have the "swinging an anvil" feel of the tube sets.
The 4 barrel sets are not popular right now, so I doubt the investment aspect is very high. But The Citori's were very well made and fun to shoot. Just depends on what you like and what you want to do with it. As I said, I'll die still owning mine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I searched for years for a set of 410 barrels for my Beretta 687. I finally gave up and ordered tubes from Briley. Although Briley eventually made it right, I fought with the tubes for about a month before I got so frustrated I sent them back. I'd still rather have a new set of barrels.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's nice to see that not everyone agrees...this site would be really boring if they did. I DO think we could disagree a little more tactfully, admitting that I am no model.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

The 2006 Shot Show Special 4 barrel sets was a limited run of 75 sets in Grade 1 and 75 sets in Grade 7. All sets were 28" barrel lengths, have screw in chokes in all 4 gauges, and came with a nice leather case. Browning made 4 barrel sets as normal cataloged items from about 1982 to 1996. All but the last year or two of production had fixed skeet chokes. A nice feature of the 2006 sets (in my opinion, at least) is that the stock has a parallel comb and a RH palm swell. The older production 4 barrel sets did not have either of these features.
I have one of 2006 Shot Show specials in the Grade 1 version, and I like it a great deal. The difference in the weight of the lightest to the heaviest barrel is about 2 oz. There may be some that can notice the difference in 2 oz of weight, but I sure can't.
I've owned both tube sets and barrels sets. Both make fine multi-gauge skeet sets, but my preference is the 4 barrel set.