CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best low recoil 12ga rounds?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I posted a few questions while I tried to decide on a 12ga shotgun to buy. I ended up going with a Mossberg 500 and I love it! After shooting it a few times, I'm planning on trying to get my girlfriend to shoot it and I'd like to find some good low recoil rounds if possible.

NHrural got me started with some types of ammo to check out. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'm amazed at how many different variations of ammo there is. Listed below are my best guesses as to what I might want to start off with, but I'm open to other ideas.

And what about brand? Winchester? Federal? Hornady? Remington? Does anyone have an absolute favorite regardless of whether you're looking for birdshot, buckshot, slugs?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Birdshot:
Winchester WinLite

00 Buckshot:
Remington Managed Recoil

Slugs:
Federal Vital-Shok Low Recoil

Home Defense:
Winchester WinLite
Federal Low Recoil
Hornady TAP

Post subject: Re: Best low recoil 12ga rounds?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you have a bad shoulder or something?

"There is no maxim, in my opinion, which is more liable to be misapplied, and which, therefore, more needs elucidation, than the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong." ~ James Madison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 am 
Field Grade

My shoulder is fine, shooting birdshot/buckshot with my 12 gauge shotgun doesn't bother me. As I mentioned in the post above, the low recoil rounds are for my girlfriend - who's petite, and already scared of the gun just by looking at it. So I'd like to find some various low recoil rounds to make it less intimidating for her.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks!

Post subject: Best low recoil 12ga rounds?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

Your pretty dead on. However be aware that you've listed win lite as an option. Maybe they make a win lite buck or slug but I haven't heard of it. If your referring to the birdshot, you need to be careful. Birdshot is not a HD round. It does not, can not, and will not work for that application. It may be fine for breaking her in but after afew rounds of it, make her shoot your low recoil slugs or buck. She must be confident with the gun and the load in any situation where she needs to use it. There can be no hesitation in using the gun over being scared of it. Make sure you do not leave the birdshot in the gun.

Your other ammo choices will work ok but I prefer maximum knock down and damage in HD. After all, if I must fire on a person, I don't want to injure them or hurt them. I want them dead. Threat ended. Preferably on the first shot. She should understand this. She should also know good gun safety and handling. The more she uses the gun the better. Does your 500 have the short barrel or long? If long then take her for a round of skeet. I'm all for spreading addictions :). My wife shoots skeet with me and I have no doubt in my mind that she could handle the gun in a home defense situation. I've trained her in it. We run mock breakins with my airsoft guns (with the real guns all locked up and checked for safety). I'm a bit fanatical I suppose but it's also fun to pop her in the forehead with a plastic bb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:44 am 
Presentation Grade

It's a good idea to start your GF, or anyone new to SGs, with a light birdshot or skeet round. Have her try just a few shots the first time. It's inevitable that mistakes that will bruise the shoulder will be made and there is no value in making it hurt more.

Wait until the shoulder heals and go out and shoot a few more. Repeat this until her technique is good enough that the skeet rounds are not bothering her. Keep the experience fun, not an exercise in "get tough enough to handle a gun."

Then you can start working up to a few rounds with a bit more recoil until she is ready for a low recoil home defence round.

BTW: Low recoil rounds are a great choice for HD. In addition to being easier on you during training, they have other properties that are good for HD: usually good penetration, tight patterns, fast follow up shots.

As to which brand: try the various low recoil 00 buck shot rounds available and pick the one that patterns the best with your gun. Use that as your HD round.

I keep Remington #1 (sadly not available in low recoil) or Managed Recoil 00 for HD depending on the layout of the house I am in at the time.

RJM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those look like good choices to start with.

If she's petite, the gun size and weight may be an issue. Small shooters with a full-sized gun tend to lean back to balance, which makes the felt recoil much worse. Make sure she leans into the gun. If she can't even come close to a strong stance, she may need something smaller to shoot comfortably.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 am 
Utility Grade

The Hornady TAP you listed is not a low recoil round. I put a few boxes through my 930SPX and it hits pretty hard. For a good low recoil 00 buck that is cheap try Fiocci low recoil 00. Also check out the Knoxx recoil reducing stock it works well. I have shot 2 Mossberg 500s back to back one with the Knoxx and one without it was a noticable difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

NHrural wrote:
If she's petite, the gun size and weight may be an issue, she may need something smaller to shoot comfortably.

There you go AZBrewDude,

Skip the low-recoil shells, this is perfect reason to buy a 20-gauge. :D

You get another shotgun and a gift for your girlfriend all in one.

Almost a guarantee that if she starts out by getting beat up by the 12-gauge, she won't want to do it again.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

My fiancee will shoot my 12GA. but not with a happy face. I bought her a 20GA. last Christmas.

As for the topic, go with the Federal LE132/133 or Hornady TAP blue hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Maybe an EvoShield shirt and/or a cheek-eze pad would be beneficial for her. Although I do not use either, I have been in 4 day shotgun classes where people have used these and swear by them. I agree with your thoughts, no need to take a macho approach with someone of smaller stature and have them ended up frustrated and lose interest. Let her learn the fundamentals without the distraction of felt recoil initially.

http://www.nokick.com/Cheek_Pads_for_Ri ... s_s/98.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I have a similar problem. My household contains 3 other adults and a teenager, none of whom have ever fired a gun. 2 of the adults are not good candidates for firearms training--I'm thinking of buying them a fog horn for self defense!

The other adult and the teenager I would like to train for home defense and am thinking of buying a 20 gauge Mossberg for this. It would serve as a training gun, and also as a decent HD gun under some circumstances, including as backup for my Moss 12. (Note--I am not trying to hijack this post into a 20 gauge debate)

410 comes to mind, too, but the ammo tends to be more expensive and buck and slug almost always have to be bought online so it would end up a nuisance for training unless I found one of the subjects weaker and more gun shy than I think.

Just a thought to throw out. For the cost of about 600 bucks a family could have a pair of Mossbergs in 12 and 20.

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:47 pm 
Field Grade

I'm a big fan of Fiocchi Reduced Recoil 00-Buck. Very little kick. The pellets are also nickel-plated, so it makes tight patterns. I really like the clear hulls for some reason, too. Costs nearly half as much as some brands @ $5.16 for 10 shells.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/34353-5.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:25 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks all for those ideas. I've considered getting a 20ga if that's the only thing my girlfriend can comfortably handle. For the current 12ga, I've already added a Limbsaver recoil pad to it - I'm a bit annoyed it didn't line up better with the stock, but it definitely helps.

Skytex - I actually bought the 500 model that came with both the 18.5" HD barrel as well as a longer (26"?) barrel. I figured that was the better choice so I can actually take it out and have some fun with skeet shooting. :)

I'm still hesitant on whether I want to use 00 buck for HD. I'm in an apartment, and need to be careful of excessive wall penetration so I was considering trying to find #3/4 buck in low recoil if it even exists?

How about websites where you typically find the best ammo deals? I seem to hear CheaperThanDirt mentioned the most often, but are there other good options as well?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

AZBrewDude wrote:
I'm still hesitant on whether I want to use 00 buck for HD. I'm in an apartment, and need to be careful of excessive wall penetration so I was considering trying to find #3/4 buck in low recoil if it even exists?

See the sticky thread on ballistics regarding rounds with adequate penetration for HD (an often debated topic here). #4 is marginal, #1 and 00 penetrate adequately to reliably stop a threat. Of these, only 00 is being manufactured in a low recoil variety right now.

RJM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

It sounds like the Federal LE132 is a very popular reduced recoil round, so I'm surprised I'm having a hard time finding it. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like CheaperThanDirt or Midway UAS sell it.

Does anyone have any advice for websites that sell the LE132 cheap? I found it on AmmunitionToGo, but they don't have the WinLite rounds, so I'm hoping to find a website that offers both. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

www.tds-us.com maintains LE132-00 at $5/box of 5 for less-than-case quatities and they're good folks to deal with. My google-fu found www.kylesgunshop.com offering same at $3.99 but I don't have any experience with them. www.ammoman.com sells cases of 250 for $199 delivered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 am 
Presentation Grade

Winlite
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102885

Federal
You can use PD13200 in place of LE13200
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=118315

Personally I would just buy LE13200. The Winlite is not as good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:14 am 
Field Grade

Hyrda - thanks for that link! That's exactly what I was hoping to find. For the WinLite - I'm looking for the birdshot, not buckshot (which Able's also carries), so I can gently introduce my girlfriend to shooting the shotgun. It might be my first & last purchase of the WinLite, depending on how well my girlfriend does with it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=993382

I use this round out of a rifled 18.5 barrel for HD.